Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Kovalchuk won't sign with us, all this discussion became pretty pointless when Lamoriello signed with the Islanders.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Alex Radulov the last 4 years:
71P in 46GP, 1.54 PPG (KHL)
65P in 53GP, 1.22 PPG (KHL)
54P in 76GP, 0.71 PPG (NHL)
72P in 82GP, 0.87 PPG (NHL)

Evgenii Dadonov the last 4 years:
46P in 53GP, 0.86 PPG (KHL)
46P in 59GP, 0.77 PPG (KHL)
66P in 53GP, 1.24 PPG (KHL)
65P in 74GP, 0.87 PPG(NHL)

Artemi Panarin the last 4 years:
62P in 54GP, 1.14 PPG (KHL)
77P in 80GP, 0.96 PPG (NHL)
74P in 82GP, 0.90 PPG (NHL)
82P in 81GP, 1.01 PPG (NHL)

Ilya Kovalchuk the last 4 years:
55P in 54GP, 1.01PPG (KHL)
49P in 50GP, 0.98PPG (KHL)
78P in 60GP, 1.30PPG (KHL)
63P in 53GP, 1.18PPG (KHL)

It's not as if Kovalchuk has slowed down. I don't expect him to score a point-per-game but using the metrics that are known, converting production from KHL to NHL, you get to 0.9~ PPG which is 70+ points in 82 games. There's no guarantee that he will reach 70 points, but there's even less evidence to suggest he will hit less than 50. Kovalchuk's talent isn't going away. His style doesn't require a lot of physical stength. This isn't Callahan/Richards/Drury.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Kovalchuk won't sign with us, all this discussion became pretty pointless when Lamoriello signed with the Islanders.

I suspect something along these lines as well. If he goes all in, keeps JT, finds the right coach and tries to just move on up then it's a better fit for Kovy, for sure.

Deleted member 23124

I don't think there was ever any chance of him coming here (THANK YOU!!!!!!!!). I couldn't imagine him coming back to play for a "rebuilding/retooling" team that will take 2-3 years to seriously contend for the Cup.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Why?

JT still isnt going to re-sign with them. He's already mentally checked out. He can't wait to get his payday for a contender that has a real ice rink and fans that show up to cheer for him.

Kovy is not signing with a dump organization for his return.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
would welcome him to our pp and give him limited protected 5v5 minutes until we see what he's still got.

if the price is right, absolutely.

if it doesnt work, he's moved for picks. no brainer unless we give him the full nmc.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Why?

JT still isnt going to re-sign with them. He's already mentally checked out. He can't wait to get his payday for a contender that has a real ice rink and fans that show up to cheer for him.

Kovy is not signing with a dump organization for his return.
I think he will sign now with Lamoriello now, he loves the Islanders and just found a reason to believe that they will be better in the near future.
They are a goalie and a defenseman away from contention.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I think he will sign now with Lamoriello now, he loves the Islanders and just found a reason to believe that they will be better in the near future.
They are a goalie and a defenseman away from contention.
The elephant in the room is the fact that they don't have an arena. The Belmont development plan is a ruse.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
... I dont see how Kovalchuk goes there unless he just wants to play for Lou ...

he knows Lou which would contribute to comfort level,
also Brooklyn is a great place to be as a celebrity Russian, the large Russian community and all the restaurants and clubs

not saying i think he will , just saying in some ways it could be appealing, they have some young talent, and Lou could make them more competetive fairly quickly, thats been happening lately in NHL

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
he knows Lou which would contribute to comfort level,
also Brooklyn is a great place to be as a celebrity Russian, the large Russian community and all the restaurants and clubs

not saying i think he will , just saying in some ways it could be appealing, they have some young talent, and Lou could make them more competetive fairly quickly, thats been happening lately in NHL
the islanders are moving out of brooklyn by 2020

i still dont see kovy wanting to play for the islanders

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's really pointless to try to translate KHL to NHL production, given the different styles of the league. It's been brought up that players like Dawes and Gilroy have excelled while some NHL stars have put up only average numbers when taking some time in the league.

Using point translation as if the errors are random and not systematic is not a good approach. It doesn't tell us much.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
They just need a decent goalie and one or two good defenseman. With 2 high picks at this draft they will get those with trade.
Also, I'm pretty confident that Tavares will sign with them.
PLEASE tell me what goalie they are taking in the draft that is any good within the next three years or what trade they are making? No great UFA goalies

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
would welcome him to our pp and give him limited protected 5v5 minutes until we see what he's still got.

if the price is right, absolutely.

if it doesnt work, he's moved for picks. no brainer unless we give him the full nmc.

You’re taking 24 year old Zibanejad off the pp for kovalchuk? Or you’re replacing Shattenkirk?

Righty shots on the PP is a strength of ours.

He’s probably not going anywhere he’s not a top pp guy he’s probably not going anywhere that isn’t a contender.

We make no sense for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad