Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Scenario C. They will both be on the team.

I don't know enough about Kovalchuk. But I do know he's old, I also doubt he'll accept a deal without ntc/nmc only to be traded at the deadline.

Kovalchuk had 63 points in Russia this season, in 53 games. Converting that to NHL totals (including the KHL-to-NHL ratio) that comes down to ~78 points in 82 games. It's not an exact science, but Kovalchuk hasn't regressed as much as people think.

Also, keeping Zuccarello won't do anything for us. He is signed for 1 more year and won't be worth what he will ask during contract negotiations. Putting aside the fan-glasses for a minute and looking at just the numbers... Would you hand out this contract for 2019?

32 years old when the season starts
Career-high 26 goals in a season
Career-high 61 points in a season
6x6.5m AAV with NMC

That's a bad contract.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Ah, I see. As I've said before, not sure how signing Kovalchuk, plus all of our RFA's. plus at least 3-4 additional roster players will make sense under the cap and, additionally, I'm not sure that it makes ANY sense at all for Kovalchuk unless his entire goal for returning to the NHL is just wearing a Rangers sweater.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Kovalchuk had 63 points in Russia this season, in 53 games. Converting that to NHL totals (including the KHL-to-NHL ratio) that comes down to ~78 points in 82 games. It's not an exact science, but Kovalchuk hasn't regressed as much as people think.

Also, keeping Zuccarello won't do anything for us. He is signed for 1 more year and won't be worth what he will ask during contract negotiations. Putting aside the fan-glasses for a minute and looking at just the numbers... Would you hand out this contract for 2019?

6x6.5m AAV with NMC

That's a bad contract.

If he gets a deal like that on any team he should pick up his bags and run for it, even if he ends up in the desert of Arizona.

No I think he'll be more than happy with 3-4 years at 5M a yr, another decent discount. And he once said: I don't need any clauses, if they don't want me here...fine, then I'm not good enough. Typical Zucc...

As for Kovalchuk, more than 1 yr would be a bad contract. Locking up 6-7M a yr on a player that age is definitely high risk. And not even necessary, because they have enough veterans already. Show some trust in them.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
:nod:

6x6.5m AAV with NMC

That's a bad contract.
Zuccarello would put up more points then Kovalchuk in that league. The KHL is a joke

So let’s see.....trade our heart and soul. The guy who should be captain and takes less to be here because he wants to play here.....and then sign a 35 year old mercenary who wants 6 million or so so his wife can be happy in NYC and he can collect a retirement check :huh:

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Zuccarello would put up more points then Kovalchuk in that league. The KHL is a joke

So let’s see.....trade our heart and soul. The guy who should be captain and takes less to be here because he wants to play here.....and then sign a 35 year old mercenary who wants 6 million or so so his wife can be happy in NYC and he can collect a retirement check :huh:
Exactly. Key point being getting assets for the good of the future of the NYR.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
6x6.5m AAV with NMC

That's a bad contract.
No way anyone is giving him those years at that AAV. To your point, it'd be an abysmal contract. Why would anyone think that he's going to get that? I hope the NYR aren't openly talking about doing that bc it'd be really stupid on their part.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I could see him getting an AAV at that, or close to that, but not for six years. Could definitely see someone going like 4Y/$24M with some modified NMC thrown in.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

2nd best league in the world is a joke. Okay...

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Then why didn't Zuccarello dominate when he played there? :huh:

He actually did pretty well over there, that's why the Rangers wanted him back :laugh:

It was Paul Maurice who made him an NHL-player, so maybe Zucc wants to go back to him in Winnipeg.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Then why didn't Zuccarello dominate when he played there? :huh:

44 games played during the NHL lockout in a place he probably didn't want to be. Kinda hard to read the tea leaves from a sample size that small - particularly when comparing him to a Russian that's played there for years and wanted to be there.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In general, it's hard to compare Zuccarello to Kovalchuk because Kovalchuk is in another galaxy and always has been.

There's no middle ground with Zucc. Rangers fans either hate him for literally no reason or are ridiculous homers with him.

effen

Feb 3, 2018

6x6.5m AAV with NMC

That's a bad contract.

Zucc's demands are only limited by your imagination.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
In general, it's hard to compare Zuccarello to Kovalchuk because Kovalchuk is in another galaxy and always has been.

There's no middle ground with Zucc. Rangers fans either hate him for literally no reason or are ridiculous homers with him.

He's our best forward for years now who's been capped at 60 points.
That those two things are true at the same time is an everyone else (including the org) problem, not a Zucc problem.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's our best forward for years now who's been capped at 60 points.
That those two things are true at the same time is an everyone else (including the org) problem, not a Zucc problem.
Be that as it may, his career high is 61 points. If Kovalchuk put up 61 points right now at his age, people would think he has a terminal illness.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think it is pretty tough to predict what Kovalchuk would do. We've seen some older players drop off pretty quickly, MSL, Richards come to mind. On the flip side Jagr and such have gone on longer. I would not feel too confident given any plus 35 contract stays on the cap even if the player retires or is bought out.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I'm fine either way, with a slight nod towards wanting him to sign here. Slight.

But you can bet your bottom dollar that no matter where he signs, rival fans will say: "THANK GOODNESS IT'S NOT US" and the team that signs him will say: "Well, not much to lose, let's see what he's got!". So that'll be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->