I'll say it again, in hopes the Leafs Brass listen once in awhile, we need sandpaper on the backend

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We really do lack adequate partners for Rielly and Gardiner.

People love to talk about how amazing Keith was. His partner Seabrook worked amazing for him. Keith was in a great spot to work his magic with his puck moving, zone exits and timely pinches. Seabrook was always there to do the brute work in front of the net and down low and always cover his pinches which let Keith flourish in a massive way.

I'd like for them to run as a pair at some point.

Strange how they haven't really been used as a pair, ever.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No they don't make decisions based on fans decisions or else they will keep on changing their if they really care about all these opinions and suggestions

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They did play as a pair for 30 or so games and played very well together.

I guess what I meant to say - it's strange they haven't seen prolonged time together, despite being two quick, mobile Dmen on a team that has gone through quite a handful of coaches while they've been there.

You'd think at least one coach would try them together for more than 30 games.

member 298589

It’s not sandpaper, it’s called zone exits. Get the puck, have a plan, and get it out.

It seems like there is no plan. That’s on Babcock.

We will have five top 4 dmen in the line up in a couple years, but Babcock needs to get his defensive zone structure in order.

Rielly Zaitsev
Dermott _____
Sandin Liljegren

Borgman Rosen Ozhiganov Holl will fill out the rest of the defence card.

I tend to agree but would like a few games under the belt first. If they are still struggling with simple zone clears I would agree it is on the coaching staff. Montreal is proof that even fringe NHL defensemen should be able to clear the puck without this much difficulty.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gardiner was fine as long as he wasn't giving tape to tape passes to Paul Byron and the rest of the Habs.

I've always considered Gardiner about the most exciting player in the NHL. When he has the puck, there are equal chances for the 11 players on the ice, they are the ones who are going to get the puck next.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think it is about sandpaper players but a couple big nasty dmen who play on the edge with lots of speed/skill would help. Like a Buff type who scares opposing forwards from attempting an attack on Jets net.

Gards again last night with his 3 totally brain dead giveaways in each period which created over 4 minutes of Habs pressure on our net. It is not just his giveaways but he and the entire d core have zero ability to get the puck back from the opposing team after these screw ups.

Now Hainsey has fallen off the cliff due to age. He is now 3 to 4 steps behind and he cant keep up to the play. It is over for him. He needs to retire ASAP.

Only solid player on our backend is Dermot and he is a kid.

Rielly has not looked himself from start of camp but i believe this is due almost entirely to hainsey. Hainsey is getting puck to him slower and in wrong spots/angles and Rielly is getting intercepted more than i have ever seen before.

Thank god we have a couple kids now in system who will be serious nhl dmen. In 2 years we should have 4 decent guys on back end. Add a couple big nasty defenders with speed and we are good to go for Cup run in 2021.

LEafs can go on a cup run NOW with the top 3 centres they have. I don't care who is on their defence.

Reactions: kb

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's not a sandpaper problem. It's a team D problem. They aren't playing good team D and Smith is responsible for that to my knowledge.

Reactions: iSophagus and kb

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dermott was in the AHL. Rielly played over 300 games in the NHL on the right side.

I don't know how many games but Dermott did get some games in on the right side last year. The quantity of games Rielly had on the right side doesn't really matter either if he performed poorly in them.

He just hit 50 pts and hitting his stride right now, I would rather not mess with him.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Oz looked lost for most of the game. It was his first game and their forwards are fast. Zaitsev was horrible he can not make a simple pass. Time after time he fail to pass to his puck support option when they were wide open and he was standing still looking for a pass when he should be moving his feet and looking. He could not process the game at the speed the Habs forwards played at. It is going to be a long season for him if he can not find his support player even before he gets the puck. Gardiner was more then fine. Zaitsev is among the hardest D man to play with in the league as he plays like an independent contractor he runs around chasing players with out thought to rotations and systems.

I saw Zaitsev make lots of good little passes and a few stretch ones too. He transitioning well last night, had some solid board play and was pinching well when needed. He also pulled off the amazing feat of having the toughest zone starts (with Gards) and yet, by far, the highest scoring chance differential of all dmen.

Here are the numbers I posted in the other thread:

5v5 Dmen stats for the opener:

TOI:
Gards: 18:13
Zaitsev: 17:28
Rielly: 16:28
Hainsey: 16:13
Dermott: 14:58
Oz: 12:16

Corsi%:
Dermott: 62%
Oz: 50%
Zaitsev: 50%
Hainsey: 36%
Gards: 33%
Rielly: 29%

Scoring chances%:
Zaitsev: 65%
Dermott: 57%
Gards: 48%
Oz: 42%
Hainsey: 38%
Rielly: 26%

High Danger chances%:
Zaitsev: 67%
Dermott: 57%
Gards: 43%
Oz: 30%
Hainsey: 29%
Rielly: 20%

I'm not saying what many others have said that Zaitsev should be pushed up on the top pair but he was a damn solid number 4 last night. Thats what we want from him and he certainly earned his money last night. If he plays this way all year, his contract is a steal.

Zaitsev had a rough year last year and its just strange to hear some around here and a few pundits crapping on him when he was probably our best dman in the pre-season and carried it over to the first game. I thought people liked comeback stories?

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
It’s a sand paper problem but it’s team wide not just on the blueline. As long as the games are wide open wihout a lot of hitting or trapping they will win. But come playoff time when the other team gets to build a game plan to slow them down and target their stars, they will get exposed. Dubas will need to make some moves along the way to bring some more grit and toughness to the lineup.

Reactions: Duffman955

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't know how many games but Dermott did get some games in on the right side last year. The quantity of games Rielly had on the right side doesn't really matter either if he performed poorly in them.

He just hit 50 pts and hitting his stride right now, I would rather not mess with him.
Lol. He played very well on the right side far better then anyone we currently have. He played a ton on the right side last year. Depending on the players we match up against Rielly was played on both sides of the left winger was fast he played the right side and if the right winger was fast he played the left side. Watch and you will see it happen again this year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lol. He played very well on the right side far better then anyone we currently have. He played a ton on the right side last year. Depending on the players we match up against Rielly was played on both sides of the left winger was fast he played the right side and if the right winger was fast he played the left side. Watch and you will see it happen again this year.

He played LD and Hainsey played on the right side basically the entire year last year. Did they get crossed up at times and have play that side for the duration of a shift? Sure, and that's where Rielly's experience on the right side pays off so it's not so awkward for him.

Rielly has basically been full time LD after that 1 year with Hunwick. Zaitsev came in and they teamed up to make a pretty poor pairing.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I tend to agree.

Im all for having puck movers who can make a pass, but the second they are put under pressure, they were guilty of treating the puck like a live grenade.

The Leafs might be a big team, size wise, but make no mistake about it - they are a very soft team.

Soft teams dont win in the playoffs

I kind-of disagree, a HUGE point people don't realize:

For some reason, the past 2 years we have relied heavily on the long stretch passes. Babcock needs to fix this strategy/system. Why does our breakout consist of the forwards high in the neutral zone, and the D hitting them with long-passes? Yes, we do have D who are great at stretch-passes but it makes no sense to rely on that strategy. Why not have the forwards support the D in the breakout!?

So when the D is put under pressure, I don't blame them for treating the puck like a live grenade. Until the breakout system changes, I don't blame them.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Toronto Raptors 2.0. When we play LeBron (Capitals, Bruins, Flyers) We're going to get not only beat but embarrassed too. :sarcasm:

A young leafs team took the caps to 6 games, 2 years ago. The series has 5 overtime games.

Then a young leafs team took Boston to game 7 last spring and finished 8 points above the flyers.

You really think this leafs team would get embarrassed by anyone in the east?even after adding john Tavares?

They finished with the 3rd most goals in the east and second best power play in the league. Teams will be worried to play us

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
A young leafs team took the caps to 6 games, 2 years ago. The series has 5 overtime games.

Then a young leafs team took Boston to game 7 last spring and finished 8 points above the flyers.

You really think this leafs team would get embarrassed by anyone in the east?even after adding john Tavares?

They finished with the 3rd most goals in the east and second best power play in the league. Teams will be worried to play us

They were swept in the first round twice.

End stop.

We are not playoff tough. Improve it before the deadline.

giphy.gif

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I mean, sure, we could use a guy like Provorov on the back end, but you don't just find those guys on trees. Admittedly, he was my guy in that draft, but I'm 100% happy we took Mitch.

But yeah, point stands. We need one of those.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He played LD and Hainsey played on the right side basically the entire year last year. Did they get crossed up at times and have play that side for the duration of a shift? Sure, and that's where Rielly's experience on the right side pays off so it's not so awkward for him.

Rielly has basically been full time LD after that 1 year with Hunwick. Zaitsev came in and they teamed up to make a pretty poor pairing.
Start watching and you will see it. It happened a lot last year. Zaitsev should have never been played there he was horrible and drags down his partner. He makes poor reads and misses so many rotations and is poor at protecting the ice behind him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Start watching and you will see it. It happened a lot last year. Zaitsev should have never been played there he was horrible and drags down his partner. He makes poor reads and misses so many rotations and is poor at protecting the ice behind him.

I think our defense has a lot of strengths and weaknesses individually.

Zaitsev can break up a cycle but doesn't do much after
Gardiner is probably the best all around but just makes these huge glaring errors that boggle your mind
Rielly concedes the blue line very easily
Dermott will probably be our best all around defender in a couple of years, good defense, good offensive instincts and wheels.

Oz is too hard to read still.

Hainsey's age is showing now, needs the Polak treatment where he drops to 3rd pairing and PKs.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
They were swept in the first round twice.

End stop.

We are not playoff tough. Improve it before the deadline.

giphy.gif

How do you suggest we get playoff tough? We had Martin and he didnt crack a game.

Or are you thinking someone along the lines of wayne Simmonds? If so, who goes for him?

Yes playoff toughness is a must to compete. Benn, Wilson, Simmonds, but how do you get a power forward like that? Easier said than done

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
How do you suggest we get playoff tough? We had Martin and he didnt crack a game.

Or are you thinking someone along the lines of wayne Simmonds? If so, who goes for him?

Yes playoff toughness is a must to compete. Benn, Wilson, Simmonds, but how do you get a power forward like that? Easier said than done

I love me a power forward, but real good ones are rare.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think our defense has a lot of strengths and weaknesses individually.

Zaitsev can break up a cycle but doesn't do much after
Gardiner is probably the best all around but just makes these huge glaring errors that boggle your mind
Rielly concedes the blue line very easily
Dermott will probably be our best all around defender in a couple of years, good defense, good offensive instincts and wheels.

Oz is too hard to read still.

Hainsey's age is showing now, needs the Polak treatment where he drops to 3rd pairing and PKs.
One point here Rielly has to protect the ice behind him as his partner can not get over to support behind him likes Rielly does for him constantly. When Rielly played with Dermott a couple of shifts last night he stood up at our blueline and prevented zone entries 3 times in two shifts.

I watch the games real close and rewind and replay games all the time. Old habits die hard. I know Rielly personally and dissect his games like I have always done.

Dermott is a gambler and the better the players he plays against the more it will bite him in the butt and the faster he will learn. Love his game but he will not be better than Rielly, he is easily our best D man.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Rick Nash. I think he will be a Leaf by mid season.,

Reactions: Tmart335

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad