I'll say it again, in hopes the Leafs Brass listen once in awhile, we need sandpaper on the backend

member 300185

"We need sandpaper in the back end".

Seriously, you guys going to let that go?

I can't....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
It would be nice if 6'4" and 225 lb Andrew Neilsen made some strides this year with the Marlies. Can he really be worse than Hainsey?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Same players different players...but the coach is the same. The common denominator is Babcock.
Even the players talked about how they didn't execute tonight.
If you watch Riellys post game interview, which you probably won't, he basically shoots down everything you are saying.

Structure, system, not executing, players need to be better, need to be in the proper spots.

But hey, you carry on with that I know more than this coach narrative.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
If you want sandpaper on the backend, just wait for Borgman to develop.

I love this guy. He's the only answer in our system to this type of grit.

Though really, any stable top four defenseman would do, "tough guy" or otherwise. Wish Borgman was a righty.
he's our only internal answer to the grit 'in' the behind.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Even the players talked about how they didn't execute tonight.
If you watch Riellys post game interview, which you probably won't, he basically shoots down everything you are saying.

Structure, system, not executing, players need to be better, need to be in the proper spots.

But hey, you carry on with that I know more than this coach narrative.
What else would they say?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
So the players know there's a new system in place, the media knows, the educated fan knows, the coach knows, then there's you...
im not saying there wasnt a system, im saying babcock needs to revisit why its not being executed.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
im not saying there wasnt a system, im saying babcock needs to revisit why its not being executed.
Repeating the same lame narrative doesn't make it any less lame.

You don't care what the coach says, you don't care what the players say.

What's the point of even having a discussion?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There is clear structure. Even the players talk about the breakout structure.

It is not being execute properly.
Haisney and Z could not make a pass tonight. Our right side D man in our top 4 caused us to be hemmed in our zone a lot tonight. Haisney has lost more then a step and playing a guy who is struggling to defend at game speed on his weak side is not a great idea. Rielly makes Better backhand passes then Haisney can make on his Forehand. Why not play Rielly on the right side.

Let’s hops it was first game issues.

Reactions: dsred and Menzinger

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Haisney and Z could not make a pass tonight. Our right side D man in our top 4 caused us to be hemmed in our zone a lot tonight. Haisney has lost more then a step and playing a guy who is struggling to defend at game speed on his weak side is not a great idea. Rielly makes Better backhand passes then Haisney can make on his Forehand. Why not play Rielly on the right side.

Let’s hops it was first game issues.

I liked Dermott tonight, wouldn't be surprised if at some point Dermott moved to the right side to play with Rielly.

Hainsey needs the Polak treatment, 3rd pairing and PK, that's it.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
Repeating the same lame narrative doesn't make it any less lame.

You don't care what the coach says, you don't care what the players say.

What's the point of even having a discussion?

Actions speak louder; if it hasn't been working in 3+ years, maybe its time to revisit the overall approach.

Start with the disconnect from what Babcock wants to what is happening on the ice.

More video? More communication? Is Babcock's structure realistically executable?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Actions speak louder; if it hasn't been working in 3+ years, maybe its time to revisit the overall approach.

Start with the disconnect from what Babcock wants to what is happening on the ice.

More video? More communication? Is Babcock's structure realistically executable?
You mean actions like Jake and Rielly working in the offseason with Belfry to improve on their breakout passes?

Why would they do that specifically if it wasn't an area of need?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
You mean actions like Jake and Rielly working in the offseason with Belfry to improve on their breakout passes?

Why would they do that specifically if it wasn't an area of need?
Sooo you agree now? What the players are doing isn't working as seen tonight..

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Huh? You said it's in the coach because there is no plan.
Did you need that read back to you?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I agree with OP.

I thought Oziganov was gonna provide some of that SandPaper on the back end...but the dude is playing softer than Jake Gardiner right now.

Whats the deal with Jake Dotchin? Is he really not in shape to come back at all? He was solid for TB last year

Reilly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Oziganov
Dermott-Dotchin
Hainsey

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
I agree with OP.

I thought Oziganov was gonna provide some of that SandPaper on the back end...but the dude is playing softer than Jake Gardiner right now.

Whats the deal with Jake Dotchin? Is he really not in shape to come back at all? He was solid for TB last year

Reilly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Oziganov
Dermott-Dotchin
Hainsey

it was game 1 lol of his nhl career.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Adam MacQuaid should be available at the trade deadline from the Rangers, pending UFA RHD, would be a fantastic addition for the 3rd pairing, likely with an inflated price tag he'll cost us a 3rd rounder I would bet.

Doesn't help the top 4....

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-MacQuaid

Still not quite where I would like it. I think we're going to need to wait until at least American Thanksgiving to hear about a top 4D being available, maybe longer.

I would really like McQuaid

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad