I'll say it again, in hopes the Leafs Brass listen once in awhile, we need sandpaper on the backend

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Ok then whats the zone exit strategy?
Short passes to the center who is to make himself available between the near post and the dot.
In Babcocks system the center should not have to chase behind the net.
The flip pass to the winger on the weak side is the next option. Although that also depends on what the opposition is doing

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
it was game 1 lol of his nhl career.

You talking about Oziganov I'm assuming?

Yeah I know that. He played well too. I loved all of his game, except the physicality part. He's our biggest D-Man and our 6th Defenseman, but he hasn't shown signs of that "Physicality" that was advertised. He didnt show that in the Pre-Season or in this game tonight.

So, unless, he randomly decided to play with grit again, I'm assuming thats just his game now

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Haisney and Z could not make a pass tonight. Our right side D man in our top 4 caused us to be hemmed in our zone a lot tonight. Haisney has lost more then a step and playing a guy who is struggling to defend at game speed on his weak side is not a great idea. Rielly makes Better backhand passes then Haisney can make on his Forehand. Why not play Rielly on the right side.

Let’s hops it was first game issues.
Gardiner-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Oz

Reactions: diceman934

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I agree with OP.

I thought Oziganov was gonna provide some of that SandPaper on the back end...but the dude is playing softer than Jake Gardiner right now.

Whats the deal with Jake Dotchin? Is he really not in shape to come back at all? He was solid for TB last year

Reilly-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Oziganov
Dermott-Dotchin
Hainsey
Lol. 25% body fat on the dude

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Short passes to the center who is to make himself available between the near post and the dot.
In Babcocks system the center should not have to chase behind the net.
The flip pass to the winger on the weak side is the next option. Although that also depends on what the opposition is doing

Exactly, and as an example: the center is supporting down low as he should, he cant be in two places at once. Once again, perhaps Babcock's system isn't realistic on the ice and should be re-visited/adjusted if he can't get it to be implemented in reality after 3+ years.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Exactly, and as an example: the center is supporting down low as he should, he cant be in two places at once. Once again, perhaps Babcock's system isn't realistic on the ice and should be re-visited/adjusted if he can't get it to be implemented in reality after 3+ years.
You keep repeating your lame ass reasoning over and over.
No one's buying it.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The problem I saw wasn't limited to the defencemen. The team will look a lot better then they aren't throwing passes that land on their opponent's sticks. They were doing that all during the preseason and they were doing it tonight. Way to many blind passes at all ends of the ice.

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
We need sandpaper on the backend...

Look, what you do in your free time is none of my business, I just want a young RHD preferably over 6'1 who can make a first pass and has a decent shot.

Reactions: Pookie

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You keep repeating your lame ass reasoning over and over.
No one's buying it.
Actually A1LeafNation has proven you wrong several times and it appears you're more interested in throwing out passive-aggressive snarky remarks then actually having a discussion.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
call up anyone from the marlies and they be way better than hainsey. we need a andrew nielson type of player on d. should have taken bode wilde instead of sandin this year imo

If you had watched Nielsen last year, he had regressed and doesn't even look like a possible NHLer.
For some reason, when fans want to improve it's all too things 1, A RHD, regardless of if they are better than the the other players on the Leafs. 2. A big, abrasive player, regardless if they have the ability to be NHLers.

Haisney didn't look good last night. But he sure look good for almost the entire season last year. At least with Nylander sitting, there is more cap space being accumulated. Maybe a trade will be forthcoming for. Dman. at some time.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Adam Mcquaid, Erik Gudbranson, Marc Staal, Polak. All guys you want come playoff time. I would like any of these guys in addition to adding one of the guys in the above post via Nylander trade.

Leafs need 2 guys no doubt about it. Leafs D is complete and utter trash and Nylander is a luxury player.

We should listen to someone who's main job at MSLE was to have lunch with the other 20 Leafs executives?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yes we need grit.

But not for this phase of the Cup run.

We can amass points like we did last year that serve to give us a ticket to the post season.

However, like last year, this team is not built for playoff success.

So there’s a definite need. Just not immediate.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Actually A1LeafNation has proven you wrong several times and it appears you're more interested in throwing out passive-aggressive snarky remarks then actually having a discussion.
Are you the Dad?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Disagree. After watching last nights game we need Liljegren in #6 sending outlet passes to neutral zone.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I liked Dermott tonight, wouldn't be surprised if at some point Dermott moved to the right side to play with Rielly.

Hainsey needs the Polak treatment, 3rd pairing and PK, that's it.
Rielly is our best right side D man so anyone playing with Rielly should be on the left side. Dermott played well last night and we will need to get Haisney off the top pair and on his left side preferably on the 3rd pair.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Please no more Zaitsev suggestions to play on the top pair. He is not a top pair D man and playing second pair gave him everything he could handle last night. I know it was one game but he and Haisney were real bad. One slow period and one with slow reads. Jake takes a lot of heat but playing with a partner who makes poor reads is hard to do and look good.

member 262271

Yes sure we need more Polak, MORE ICINGS! This thread is fun.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Zaitsev looked solid and dependable to me last and definitely better than Jake, who made a few of his patented Jake stupid decisions. Interesting to see how different people have different perceptions. Carlo on the radio this morning thought OZ looked bad, and I thought aside from a slow start he looked solid as well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If you had watched Nielsen last year, he had regressed and doesn't even look like a possible NHLer.
For some reason, when fans want to improve it's all too things 1, A RHD, regardless of if they are better than the the other players on the Leafs. 2. A big, abrasive player, regardless if they have the ability to be NHLers.

Haisney didn't look good last night. But he sure look good for almost the entire season last year. At least with Nylander sitting, there is more cap space being accumulated. Maybe a trade will be forthcoming for. Dman. at some time.
Neilson was always going to be a project as he has real bad feet and a hope draft pick. He will be out of our system in the near future. We was criminally overrated on here and was never going to be a Leaf in my opinion .

Haisney was as bad last night as he was for alll about the first 25 games last year. He gets beat wide way to often, fumbles the puck and when he attempts to step up at our blue line is effectively a pylon against speedy forwards.

Haisney should immediately be moved off of the right side as he can not make a pass on his backhand on his best days and put on the 3rd pair playing on his strong side. He would face less skilled players and can still play the PK. I am glad that his contract is up as he has regressed a lot in the off season even more and last year was not good for him at all.

Our D is going to look different after Christmas this year or sooner if they continue to struggle.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad