I'll say it again, in hopes the Leafs Brass listen once in awhile, we need sandpaper on the backend

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Leafsfan74, Oct 3, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Leafsfan74

Leafsfan74 Registered User

I know some in Leafs management figure, "We can just emulate what the Pens did when they won their Cups". It's not easy and they do have LeTang who at times was dynamic on both ends of the ice, killing 25+ minutes a game plus a goalie who was on top of his game, on top of the league in their first go round.

We don't need a LeTang, but we need someone who can fill in key minutes who is hard on the puck, making it difficult for teams. I am telling you, come playoff time, we are going to face the same problems and it simply hasn't been addressed. This was a quick Habs team, but they play with some tenacity. We need to match that tenacity in the back end when we face the Bruins or Capitals in the playoffs. They will be much tougher to handle when they drive to the net.

I am not worried about our forwards, I think they not only have skill but the hunger needed to fight through come playoff time, and they are of course a big part of the concept of team defense, but I still see this D and say "they can't outmuscle players".

I know there isn't a magic wand, but there has to be a player or two Leafs have their eye on and can try and pick up at some point during the season. Even if just for depth and to challenge and weave in and out of the lineup to the six we have. I know it might be beating a dead horse to some, but it's a glaring weakness and every forward on every team must relish playing against us.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. 93WrapAround

93WrapAround Registered User

we don't need sandpaper we need competent fluid D-men. 4 of the 6 looked solid tonight, Hainsey and Gardiner are not both fluid and competent. Our forwards were losing a lot of battles in our own end tonight too, it's not just on the D-men.

3. Menzinger

Menzinger Registered User

Professional Student
    They need a guy on the right side who can actually exit the zone either with a short pass or carry out. Doesn’t even need to be a top pairing guy either, just a guy who could eat up decent amount of minutes could be stable.

4. BleedsBlueSNRefugee

BleedsBlueSNRefugee GO LEAFS GO!!!

Combine Hainsey’s experience, Holl’s size, Carricks heart and Polak’s nastiness into one player, and we’ll be just fine........ <heavy sigh>

NiftyMits and Jeffrey Pedler like this.
  5. Tak7

Tak7 Registered User

I tend to agree.

Im all for having puck movers who can make a pass, but the second they are put under pressure, they were guilty of treating the puck like a live grenade.

The Leafs might be a big team, size wise, but make no mistake about it - they are a very soft team.

Soft teams dont win in the playoffs

6. lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan Registered User

retired
    Competent Dmen is the most important item. Gee, the Leafs had sandpaper Polak last year, and he was OK at best.

So getting sandpaper won't smooth out all the problems on the Leafs defence (that's suppose to be funny).

7. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Doctorate Degree in Saskatchewan Science

If you want sandpaper on the backend, just wait for Borgman to develop.

Though really, any stable top four defenseman would do, "tough guy" or otherwise. Wish Borgman was a righty.

hector morrison likes this.
  8. A1LeafNation

A1LeafNation Tavares Strong!!!

It’s not sandpaper, it’s called zone exits. Get the puck, have a plan, and get it out.

It seems like there is no plan. That’s on Babcock.

We will have five top 4 dmen in the line up in a couple years, but Babcock needs to get his defensive zone structure in order.

Rielly Zaitsev
    Dermott _____
    Sandin Liljegren

Borgman Rosen Ozhiganov Holl will fill out the rest of the defence card.

9. DavePoulin4PM

DavePoulin4PM 2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec

There are some trades that make sense for the Leafs with Nylander for a dman, but Leafs will have to acquire 2 dmen who play with an edge if they’re serious about contending. One to be a top 4 guy and another 6/7. Nylander targets:

Darnell Nurse ( I don’t like him but he’s a fit plus SSM connection)
    Vince Dunn
    Shea Weber (MTL retains salary)
    Josh Manson

It has to happen

coupe93 likes this.
  10. DavePoulin4PM

Lol assembling that group is blue print on how to lose in the first round.

11. indigobuffalo

indigobuffalo Portage and Main

Accounting
    Fixed

A1LeafNation likes this.
  12. puckbunnygirl

puckbunnygirl Registered User

barzal ab worshipper
    that's why what we really need is a great first passer who isn't afraid to take a hit. a rare commodity in the nhl today.

Tak7 and Leafsfan74 like this.
  13. A1LeafNation

It’s thinking like that which is why Poulin doesn’t have an NHL job anymore. No one wants archaic thinking anymore.

14. DavePoulin4PM

Adam Mcquaid, Erik Gudbranson, Marc Staal, Polak. All guys you want come playoff time. I would like any of these guys in addition to adding one of the guys in the above post via Nylander trade.

Leafs need 2 guys no doubt about it. Leafs D is complete and utter trash and Nylander is a luxury player.

frog, dsred and sittler rules!!! like this.
  15. White Shadow

White Shadow Registered User

There is clear structure. Even the players talk about the breakout structure.

It is not being execute properly.

Leafsfan74 likes this.
  16. DavePoulin4PM

You need still need toughness and grit.. especially later in the season. Leafs will get bullied the way they are assembled lol they’re a regular season team. It’s not hard to acquire multiple dmen who will help this club.

Don’t kid yourself this group is soft and one of the worst units in the league.

17. DavePoulin4PM

Polak was good in the playoffs and down the stretch like he always is. He played much better than Gardiner but no one would ever admit that. Leafs did get a lot softer this off season and that’s a fact. They’ll get pushed around by teams come playoff time if they stay this course. They have a legit shot at winning the cup now BUT they need to get tougher and improve the back end.

There is no doubt about it. It’s incredibly obvious what they need to do. They have a big opportunity to do something special if they make a couple of moves...

frog and ANDI P IS CUTE like this.
  18. InSuL1nImP

InSuL1nImP Registered User

Toronto Raptors 2.0. When we play LeBron (Capitals, Bruins, Flyers) We're going to get not only beat but embarrassed too. :sarcasm:

19. Cleatus

Cleatus Registered User

Ice Pimp
    I am highly in favour of adding sandpaper that can actually play. Absolute no to crappily skilled tough guys like Polak, Komarov, etc... Someone like Josh Manson would be a dream addition.

20. TMLS

TMLS Registered User

call up anyone from the marlies and they be way better than hainsey. we need a andrew nielson type of player on d. should have taken bode wilde instead of sandin this year imo

21. The Legend

The Legend GW

Assuming you’re not a parody account, the team needs more puck movers. This isn’t a novel take by any stretch, but the game has clearly changed and having D who can carry the puck is critical.

Max Money likes this.
  22. HC7

HC7 Registered User

If all the D look bad it's a system issue. Players like Rielly and Gardiner who are some of the best puck movers in the league shouldn't be struggling to make a breakout pass.

This falls squarely on Babcock and DJ Smith. Embarrassing our coaches are so ****ing daft that they cannot implement a better breakout with all the skilled forwards.

23. Cleatus

Cleatus Registered User

Ice Pimp
    As true as what you said about Polak is (he's tough as nails, and was really good late-season and in the playoffs for the Leafs), you can't excuse how bad at hockey he was for most of the time he played, and that he's very likely going to decline sharply very soon due to the style of game he plays... A declining Polak simply isn't worth a roster spot.

lifelonghockeyfan likes this.
  24. A1LeafNation

Well then I guess Babcock needs to do a better job of getting these guys to execute it.

25. WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99 Registered User

AC
    SHARE MY BLOG! FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! WTFMAN999
    Adam MacQuaid should be available at the trade deadline from the Rangers, pending UFA RHD, would be a fantastic addition for the 3rd pairing, likely with an inflated price tag he'll cost us a 3rd rounder I would bet.

Doesn't help the top 4....

Rielly-Dermott
    Gardiner-Zaitsev
    Hainsey-MacQuaid

Still not quite where I would like it. I think we're going to need to wait until at least American Thanksgiving to hear about a top 4D being available, maybe longer.