OT: I'll be cheering hard for Marty tonight.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
1) Team Canada is the hardest team to make in the world. There were about 25 spots and about 100 guys that could have made it.
2) Babcock has an obsession with size. Babcock was the coach. Yzerman isn't stupid, he knew that Marty wouldn't get the minutes.
3) If Yzerman knows that Babcock isn't gonna give him top 6 minutes (which he didn't, so Yzerman was right), why force St. Louis onto the team just to see him scratched/in a 4th line role? There are players MUCH better suited for those roles.
4) Just because Yzerman was the GM of both teams doesn't mean that he has any obligation to play favorites. He is a very tactical, careful man, he was building a gold medal contender and was building it with complete impartiality.
5) Besides all that, Yzerman made a committee to make roster decisions. Could he have made all the decisions himself? SURE! But he decided to make a committee. Does Yzerman seem like the type of guy that would create a check and balance system like this and then circumvent it for selfish reasons?

If you really want to see what our opinion is on the Team Canada selection, just go back to the other threads. So done talking about this guy already. Some fans still like him, fine. I don't. I don't respect a man who can turn his back on so many people like that. My opinion isn't going to change because a few people I don't know are posting in a hockey forum. You forgive him or you don't, let's leave it at that.
Agreeing with all of this but also
6) It's an Olympic team, not an all star team. They weren't going after the best Canadian players in 2010 or 2014, so I don't know why he sees it as a slap in the face. There was never a question as an individual he was a better talent than some of the forwards from 2010 & 2014. Yzerman not choosing you doesn't mean he thinks any less of you. But the way they wanted to put these teams together and have certain players with certain attributes to play specific roles or work well with only 1 or 2 players, he unfortunately wasn't part of that "plan."
7)You can be upset and all that with Yzerman, but you should also respect the man.He made the hard but essential moves, the unpopular ones, to get the job done. You don't do that playing favorites or trying to do someone a favor. He did it in absolute commitment to winning gold. That's why Canada won again, and that's why Tampa Bay was 3rd in the East. Would you rather go back to the days of Oren and Len when the majority of their deals were to help their friends?

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Agreeing with all of this but also
6) It's an Olympic team, not an all star team. They weren't going after the best Canadian players in 2010 or 2014, so I don't know why he sees it as a slap in the face. There was never a question as an individual he was a better talent than some of the forwards from 2010 & 2014. Yzerman not choosing you doesn't mean he thinks any less of you. But the way they wanted to put these teams together and have certain players with certain attributes to play specific roles or work well with only 1 or 2 players, he unfortunately wasn't part of that "plan."
7)You can be upset and all that with Yzerman, but you should also respect the man.He made the hard but essential moves, the unpopular ones, to get the job done. You don't do that playing favorites or trying to do someone a favor. He did it in absolute commitment to winning gold. That's why Canada won again, and that's why Tampa Bay was 3rd in the East. Would you rather go back to the days of Oren and Len when the majority of their deals were to help their friends?

I think Marty recognized through the statements and roster moves Yzerman made that the Lightning were not going "all in" to win now, but are building for the future.

MSL wanted to try to win now, realizing that his years as a NHL player are winding down.

Moves such as not resigning Bergenheim, trading Downie, Adam Hall, Domonic Moore, Kubina, releasing V4, did not make the team better at that moment, but set the team up for a better chance of success in the future.

I still think there is more to MSL wanting out than just the 2 Canadian Olympic snubs.

It was a pattern where the Olympics were the last straw that set things off.

I can understand while he may have been upset, and wanted out.

This should have been handled after the season - how it all went down in the end shows that MSL put himself before the needs of his teammates.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
^ I fully agree. I'd be surprised if this was all about the Team Canada snub. There were rumors of Marty wanting out in the past - which were (partly) confirmed by SFY mentioning at least one other trade demand by Marty a couple years ago. And I think Brian Lawton did confirm it too IIRC.

There were even articles in the Times etc. about Marty's time running out and him wanting to go "all in" once again before his time in the NHL is over. After the 2011 ECF run we missed the playoffs twice and in 2013-14 SFY didn't go for a proven backup for Bishop, he didn't shore up our D with one or two veterans and management as well as the coaching staff were willing to rely on our young talents instead of adding proven NHLers to this young and rather inexperienced team. So from this point of view him asking for a trade was understandable. The way it went down, the handcuffing of "his" team, was and is not.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
I think Marty recognized through the statements and roster moves Yzerman made that the Lightning were not going "all in" to win now, but are building for the future.

MSL wanted to try to win now, realizing that his years as a NHL player are winding down.

Moves such as not resigning Bergenheim, trading Downie, Adam Hall, Domonic Moore, Kubina, releasing V4, did not make the team better at that moment, but set the team up for a better chance of success in the future.

I still think there is more to MSL wanting out than just the 2 Canadian Olympic snubs.

It was a pattern where the Olympics were the last straw that set things off.

I can understand while he may have been upset, and wanted out.

This should have been handled after the season - how it all went down in the end shows that MSL put himself before the needs of his teammates.

I'd agree with you except facts get in the way. All those moves you spoke of DID make the team better. In fact the team was having it's second best season in its history. All without Stamkos who was coming back very very soon. He demanded a trade to, at the time, a worse team. Period. In fact, and people may disagree, but if Bishop doesn't go down I think the playoffs go a completely different direction and even the great MSL isn't able to predict his season ending injury.

He accepted the captaincy 5 months earlier. He wanted to be here. Until he was told that he wasn't chosen by Team Canada. He forgot the fact that Yzerman is the only one who wanted him, MSL was just upset Yzerman didn't pull a power move and rig the deck for him. He left a top team in the eastern conference in the middle of a playoff push to go to a worse team ONLY because he had a temper tantrum. Nothing more, nothing less. And now he will pay the price. He won't win another cup, he won't get his jersey retired and hanging in the rafters, and he won't get an office job in the organization. He completely burned the bridge that he spent the last 14 years building. Like it or not, that's how it is.

Kristia

Old folks home..
Mar 10, 2006
Tampa Bay Area....
Marty holds all the blame for blowing 14 years worth of good will. It won't upset me to NEVER see his number in the rafters.

This organization took a chance on him when he was a small almost unknown player no one wanted and it paid off for both sides. He became a leader for this team and a fan favorite, on top over becoming a well known star player.

Now he can't play for someone who doesn't believe in him...What? His team mates believed in him, the coaches believed in him, the fans and city believed in him. Yzerman was the only one who vote FOR him to be on Team Canada (if you believe the stories that are being told about what went down) Sounds to me like Yzerman believed in him as well. The ones who didn't believe in him was Mike Babcock and the committee setup to handle Team Canada. NONE of those men who didn't believe he was good enough, have ANYTHING to do with the Tampa Bay Lightning last time I checked.

Had Yzerman pulled a power move and over ruled MB & Committee, do you think Marty's would have seen ANY ice time? He would have been scratched from EVERY game and never stepped a skate on the ice. MB is an *******, he would have been pissed and showed it with Marty watching in the pressbox. I don't doubt that for a minute. As things worked out Stamkos had to step out and Yzerman was able to slide Marty in with only a little ruffling of feathers. Marty didn't see alot of ice time because MB doesn't like small players period. He got to play in some games and won a gold metal, he should be happy.

Nope not happy, pitched a fit demanding to be trade in the middle of a playoff run, only to ONE team. Pretty much giving a hugh FU to his teammates, coaches, fans, this city, everyone and anyone else within this organization who supported and believed in him the last 14 years.

All this because his ego.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Marty holds all the blame for blowing 14 years worth of good will. It won't upset me to NEVER see his number in the rafters.

This organization took a chance on him when he was a small almost unknown player no one wanted and it paid off for both sides. He became a leader for this team and a fan favorite, on top over becoming a well known star player.

Now he can't play for someone who doesn't believe in him...What? His team mates believed in him, the coaches believed in him, the fans and city believed in him. Yzerman was the only one who vote FOR him to be on Team Canada (if you believe the stories that are being told about what went down) Sounds to me like Yzerman believed in him as well. The ones who didn't believe in him was Mike Babcock and the committee setup to handle Team Canada. NONE of those men who didn't believe he was good enough, have ANYTHING to do with the Tampa Bay Lightning last time I checked.

Had Yzerman pulled a power move and over ruled MB & Committee, do you think Marty's would have seen ANY ice time? He would have been scratched from EVERY game and never stepped a skate on the ice. MB is an *******, he would have been pissed and showed it with Marty watching in the pressbox. I don't doubt that for a minute. As things worked out Stamkos had to step out and Yzerman was able to slide Marty in with only a little ruffling of feathers. Marty didn't see alot of ice time because MB doesn't like small players period. He got to play in some games and won a gold metal, he should be happy.

Nope not happy, pitched a fit demanding to be trade in the middle of a playoff run, only to ONE team. Pretty much giving a hugh FU to his teammates, coaches, fans, this city, everyone and anyone else within this organization who supported and believed in him the last 14 years.

All this because his ego.

bliss1.gif

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
I'd agree with you except facts get in the way. All those moves you spoke of DID make the team better. In fact the team was having it's second best season in its history. All without Stamkos who was coming back very very soon. He demanded a trade to, at the time, a worse team. Period. In fact, and people may disagree, but if Bishop doesn't go down I think the playoffs go a completely different direction and even the great MSL isn't able to predict his season ending injury.

He accepted the captaincy 5 months earlier. He wanted to be here. Until he was told that he wasn't chosen by Team Canada. He forgot the fact that Yzerman is the only one who wanted him, MSL was just upset Yzerman didn't pull a power move and rig the deck for him. He left a top team in the eastern conference in the middle of a playoff push to go to a worse team ONLY because he had a temper tantrum. Nothing more, nothing less. And now he will pay the price. He won't win another cup, he won't get his jersey retired and hanging in the rafters, and he won't get an office job in the organization. He completely burned the bridge that he spent the last 14 years building. Like it or not, that's how it is.

Not at the time the deals were made, as I stated in my post.

Those moves were made with the future in mind, not to make the team better that season.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Not at the time the deals were made, as I stated in my post.

Those moves were made with the future in mind, not to make the team better that season.

Come on man. Which of those players you mentioned actually mattered outside if Vinny.

And again, he pulled this near the end of the season, not at the beginning, not at the end of the season where we were bottom dwellers so he wanted to go to a playoff team to compete. No, we were better than the rangers. What's the excuse then?

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
This team was much higher in the standings compared to the Rangers when the request was made so it has nothing to do with trying to win a cup. He's wanted to go to NY for many years now - I'm pretty sure he would have gone to NY even if they were in the basement.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Come on man. Which of those players you mentioned actually mattered outside if Vinny.

And again, he pulled this near the end of the season, not at the beginning, not at the end of the season where we were bottom dwellers so he wanted to go to a playoff team to compete. No, we were better than the rangers. What's the excuse then?

If you consider the Vinny buyout Vinny-for-Flip, even that made us better immediately. The one trade that was 100% for the future was Downie. And I remember that one didn't sit too well with MSL either. But it got us Vasi.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
A Captain should never betray his team mid-season, NEVER, EVER. I don't give a crap if the coach drives over your cancer-riddled son, while he's being held in his mother's arms.

He got what he effing deserved. He won't win another cup, and many people now see him for what he is, an egomaniacal baby.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thank you! This one is for you Callahan! No way they get the cup without their heart and soul captain! Sign with Tampa and win your cup there!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So my brother (the biggest homer Rangers fan in the world) insisted the Rangers would win this series in 6. He currently won't respond to my texts or calls. How do you think he wants his crow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad