OT: I'll be cheering hard for Marty tonight.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
I'm not afraid to admit that I've been actively cheering against Marty since the trade went down. But with the news over the past few days of his mother passing, I'll be cheering for Marty tonight against the Pens.

Through features on broadcasts, I grew to respect the St. Louis clan and it was obvious where Marty got his humble and hardworking nature. I respect Marty's decision to play because it is no doubt what his father is telling him and what his mother would've wanted. As difficult as it must be, I imagine being on the ice might be a sanctuary for #26 at this point.

So for tonight, I hope we see the old Marty St. Louis we grew to love and respect. I hope that he can help to lift his team and his family up.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
I agree. I have been happy with his failures but tonight it's different. Very sorry about his mother.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, I'll get back to cheering against him shortly. (Very shortly.)

Tonight though... this is the kind of game where MSL tends to dig deep and really perform. When it's full of emotion. I expect he'll have his best game as a Ranger, honestly.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Still not happy with Marty, but this goes above hockey. Hope he has a good game tonight for his mother. Won't be wishing for the same after today.

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
Yeah, I'll get back to cheering against him shortly. (Very shortly.)

Tonight though... this is the kind of game where MSL tends to dig deep and really perform. When it's full of emotion. I expect he'll have his best game as a Ranger, honestly.

I agree. I expect to see 2004 playoff level scrap out of Marty tonight. In a perfect world, Marty would gamely lead the Rags back to shock the Pens and take the series before bowing out in the next round. Marty's family gets their uplift and the Bolts get another 1st round pick :naughty:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I've been extremely anti-Marty since the trade, but I'll be for him tonight.

Even if it was expected, you are never prepared for something like this. Add in that she just seemed like a wonderful person. Takes a lot of guts to come out and play.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
ive been cheering for him the whole time but I want that other first. I hope that fleury falls apart and they blow this that would be awesome to me.

Sorry for his loss hes still a BLANK and wont forgive him but I am dealing with dad issues right now among my own and other issues and it is REALLY TOUGH. I still dont want him going any further and if he did won big man I definitely would hold even more dislike for a long time.

Is quite carzy this situation to be truthful but expect a big game he steps up in these moments mostly.

Losing a loved one is truly about the worst thing that I can imagine. So good luck msl

is 4-1 now two goals in like last minute to rangers go into the tank pitt please!!

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
He's still classless no way you can convince me otherwise. This statement in no way means i don't feel for him, his mother dying goes beyond hockey, but what he did will NEVER be forgotten.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's still classless no way you can convince me otherwise. This statement in no way means i don't feel for him, his mother dying goes beyond hockey, but what he did will NEVER be forgotten.

I think that's pretty much how all of us feel. On a human level, we feel for him. As a hockey fan, he's still dead to me.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I'm rooting for giving Yzerman/Murray four 1sts over the next two years and Pittsburgh being eliminated because watching playoff hockey on NBCSN is always more enjoyable when they aren't overhyping Pittsburgh but I will never root for Marty again no matter what.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
yea i can't even look at him without my hatred coming to a head.

I can. I keep the hatred for hockey stuff. I'm glad he scored tonight on two different levels though. It's a nice story, being mother's day, and I want that draft pick.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Part of me is left is left in a perpetual state of wondering about the "long illness" playing a role in his demand to get out of here. I know I said this in the "Around the league" thread, yeah, but it's curious to me, and probably the only thing that will erase my stained image of the guy is if these questions remain unanswered. Because, yeah, on a hockey level, what he did was unforgivable. If there was a dire family reason for it, I would be more forgiving.

If nothing else, yeah, that 2015 1st round pick is the thing I really want above all else and we might be four periods away from seeing it come to Tampa.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
It would be this years 1st if they get to ECF. Also, if Marty had such a crisis on his hands he could have handled it better than taking a **** on everyone and acting like a man child

ClassicMach

Apr 14, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
For now, I'm going to stick with the trade being about his mother. If that's the case, I fully understand it, and won't even hold it against him. Dusted off my old MSL jersey for tonight. I feel like this trade would have been so much easier to stomach if he was on a decline and effectively useless, or on the last year of his contract, but I won't hold his durability against him, nor his contract negotiations from probably before he knew how dire this situation would get. He might have knee-jerked a big trade due to this situation. Idk, he's got the benefit of the doubt right now. But after this trade I'll go back to cheering against the Rangers, but for Hagelin, not Marty.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
It would be this years 1st if they get to ECF. Also, if Marty had such a crisis on his hands he could have handled it better than taking a **** on everyone and acting like a man child

No, you're right. There was some serious toxin floating around this organization from approximately the date of the "snub" all the way to the trade. We all remember how this team was blowing leads left and right in the final few games Marty was here. Whether he could've handled the situation better is something that I surely won't argue even now, and the fact that Marty got so little attention in that Cup video ceremony only heightens this fact, IMO.

For now, I'm going to stick with the trade being about his mother. If that's the case, I fully understand it, and won't even hold it against him. Dusted off my old MSL jersey for tonight. I feel like this trade would have been so much easier to stomach if he was on a decline and effectively useless, or on the last year of his contract, but I won't hold his durability against him, nor his contract negotiations from probably before he knew how dire this situation would get. He might have knee-jerked a big trade due to this situation. Idk, he's got the benefit of the doubt right now. But after this trade I'll go back to cheering against the Rangers, but for Hagelin, not Marty.

1) while true, if Marty was ont he decline then Yzerman doesn't get anywhere near the haul he got for him. That he got that with leverage akin to having his hands tied behind his back is something that still blows my mind.

2) hahahaha, what's the problem with Hagelin?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think Marty foresaw how raw our team was and wanted to go to a veteran team with a better chance to go further. He saw the youth in the locker room and thought these guys are gonna have a lesson learned in the playoffs no matter if I'm captain or not. Also think there was the whole Olympics factor and family factor as well.

Does it make it the right thing to do? I think he should have waited until the offseason and finished the job here as captain but it may have been a distraction since the rumors got out of hand and Marty didn't want to lie to anybody about where he stands on the subject. Tough situation to be in. I think this will all come out in the open one day and Marty will be forgiven a bit. But it still doesn't make his ultimate decision right. I think it's just a crappy way to end a legacy he had here.

He is clearly the best Lightning player to ever wear the sweater. He willed us to game 7 against Calgary. There is still a special place in our hearts for the guy. I think it's a bad break up though and will take some time for the fan base to forgive him and may never do so. With that said I hope they win this series and give us that extra first rounder and Callahan resigns. Will be ultimate best case scenario for both teams involved.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
I've given up the hate of Marty. I want him to do well and the Rangers.

Richards, Moore and Marty on the Rangers.

Hawkeye37

Feb 26, 2014
For now, I'm going to stick with the trade being about his mother.

I don't see the connection. Everything that I've read stated that she died unexpectedly of a heart attack. She also lived in Montreal, so why wouldn't he have requested a trade to Montreal if that was the case?

Like others have said, I feel terrible for him, and I'm glad that he scored a goal yesterday. I still hope the Rangers lose tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad