Boston Bruins III-Rumors, Trade Proposals, Speculation, etc.. (rumors must have recognized source/link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
How confident are you in Lauzon, Zboril, and even Gryz come playoff time?

I agree they need to bolster the offense too, but adding Ekholm wouldn’t necessarily mean they can’t make another move to the forward group.
Not very confident at all. I was going to mention the playoff and how Ekholm would be a great addition there, but on the whole, defensemen and their playoff performance is even more variable than it is for forwards and goalies.

The problem is if Ekholm is going to cost dearly, it's off the the bargain bin for a forward or two, and the goal scoring problem appears to be a bigger problem than the bargain bin can solve.

Reactions: Gordoff

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not very confident at all. I was going to mention the playoff and how Ekholm would be a great addition there, but on the whole, defensemen and their playoff performance is even more variable than it is for forwards and goalies.

The problem is if Ekholm is going to cost dearly, it's off the the bargain bin for a forward or two, and the goal scoring problem appears to be a bigger problem than the bargain bin can solve.
the old catch 22, ideally you`d like someone with post season experience but there`s only one way for the kids to get that experience themselves. Tell ya one thing, I`d rather suffer through some growing pains with the kids on the back end if it means they`ll gain valuable post season experience that you simply don`t get watching from upstairs. Now , saying that, I`m not at all opposed to acquiring a vet with experience, understanding it will mean one of the kids will sit but if they weren`t able to get someone, would I be confident going in with the kids? Not oozing but I don`t think these kids will get exposed nearly as much as some here think

I have much bigger concerns with secondary scoring

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019

That is ultimately an assumption though. If they paid a good price for Ekholm, a good forward is still attainable. It isn’t a matter of “do they have the ammo” because they do, it’s “do they want to spend it”. That’s the real question. I can’t answer that, but if it were me, this is the season to do it.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
Isn't he that guy on the Ducks who was really promising at one point but has been almost totally derailed by concussion issues? Is that the guy?

Thanks Hook now I remember that guy...Concussions are no joke, I wish him the best. damn shame he has been injury snake bitten in Boston...when they made the trade I had high hopes and thought he was the answer for 2nd line.

Reactions: Dr Hook

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If you're giving DeBrusk in an Ekholm deal, it's a 1 for 1. You don't trade a 24 year old with a 27 goal season under his belt for a 31 year old AND add two more premium assets to the younger player.

I'm all for making a play for Ekholm, but I'm not about to mortgage the future for him. This team can compete as is, and IMO forward is a bigger need than defense. I was optimistic in the offseason the Smith would be the extra scoring touch we needed, but we have enough evidence to know that he's not enough. The emergence of Ritchie is nice, but he's not giving us anything 5 on 5 (11 of his 14 points are on the powerplay).

If I'm Sweeney, I'm hounding Detroit about Mantha. I think a Ritchie-Krejci-Mantha line could be the closest we can get to the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line.

Disagree on DeBrusk. A "24 year old with a 27 goal season under his belt" is marketing speak. Smoke and mirrors.

He's a mediocre hockey player with streaky scoring ability and willingness to disappear for long stretches. You trade players like that any time you can get another team to believe he's instead a "a 24 year old with a 27 goal season under his belt" with consistency. He's not. I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Ekholm, and I'd throw in Vaak or our 1st. Both? Not so sure about that.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I also feel really bad for Kase or any other player who have problems with serious injuries. I think it is time for him to give up the hockey and pursue another career. Injury related issues could cause him life long health problems.

It is too bad, as he shows some signs of being a pretty good player. I would like to see him back but I think that would just prolong the agony. It does not look like hockey is going to be kind to him.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Disagree on DeBrusk. A "24 year old with a 27 goal season under his belt" is marketing speak. Smoke and mirrors.

He's a mediocre hockey player with streaky scoring ability and willingness to disappear for long stretches. You trade players like that any time you can get another team to believe he's instead a "a 24 year old with a 27 goal season under his belt" with consistency. He's not. I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Ekholm, and I'd throw in Vaak or our 1st. Both? Not so sure about that.
Which is exactly what you do in a negotiation. Your assessment of the player is right, but if you want to make a deal and not get totally boned by the other side, you hype up DeBrusk as much as possible. If I'm Sweeney, I'm looking at Nashville sitting 27th in goals for and I'm saying, "this kid's got 30 goal upside, we've all seen it. help us help you."

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If Nashville is rebuilding, how would you feel about Filip Forsberg? The Bruins are one of the few teams that can fit the salary (6m this year and next).

He would make the Bruins the Cup favorite IMO.

I would break the bank for him.
Would love Forsberg a lot more than Hall, add him and Ekholm and heck why not Crosby too LOL, manage that and we raise the cup.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I wonder if they have the ammo to acquire both Palmieri and Ekholm. To me Ekholm will cost more due to the additional year and the unbelievable value of his contract.
If we are going all in this year and next couple of years , then go all in , get Palmieri and Wood from NJ, Ekholm from NSH and Crosby from Pitt.

Reactions: Gordoff

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I have no idea what Nashville is looking for. But i think that the standard 1st and a couple of good prospects would put you in the ballpark. Maybe we can convince them on a useful roster player as a cap dump.

I just can't get over how great the Boston defense would look with Ekholm on it. While they're different types of players, Ekholm would have a Seidenberg effect on the defense, where Boston get's a in-his-prime top 4 dman who can slot on either pairing and make it better.

1st
Vaak
Stud
Grzelcyk

For

Ekholm
Too much for me and I like Ekholm

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If true this sounds like they don't project Kase (obviously injured) or Smith being the RW 20+ goal scorers they hoped.

Kase probably not. Its been radio silence on him and with his injury history who knows if he'll be back (and if he does, how long until he gets hurt again?). Smith right now in a normal 82 games season would be on pace for 19 goals and that's while switching between the 2nd and 3rd line (sometimes even the 1st line).

Reactions: lopey

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
If you're giving DeBrusk in an Ekholm deal, it's a 1 for 1. You don't trade a 24 year old with a 27 goal season under his belt for a 31 year old AND add two more premium assets to the younger player.

I'm all for making a play for Ekholm, but I'm not about to mortgage the future for him. This team can compete as is, and IMO forward is a bigger need than defense. I was optimistic in the offseason the Smith would be the extra scoring touch we needed, but we have enough evidence to know that he's not enough. The emergence of Ritchie is nice, but he's not giving us anything 5 on 5 (11 of his 14 points are on the powerplay).

If I'm Sweeney, I'm hounding Detroit about Mantha. I think a Ritchie-Krejci-Mantha line could be the closest we can get to the Lucic-Krejci-Horton line.
Mantha would be a great add for the Bruins.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario

i wish i could find the article but right from the beginning seemed like the bruins knew he was special as a person and decent human being i seem to remember them talking about visiting him at his home and really coming out wishing they can land him . So happy hes a bruin seems really down to earth and even seeing how quickly he shot down the notion of more money speaks highly of his character imo.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
why Palmieri? is he going to add six assists and eleven goals for the Bruins this season? let's give up DeBrusk, Bjork, Studnicka, Grzelcyk, Clifton, a first, three seconds, five thirds... am I right?
I think it’s a conditional first if Palmeiri gets 11 assists and 6 goals but everything else is what’s being reported

Reactions: bbfan419

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Agree, that would be worst than the Thornton and Sequin trades combined.
I soured on both of them because of lackluster playoff performances. Seguin’s big game against the Lightning in 2011 not withstanding, I always felt like he and Thornton both underachieved here in the playoffs. Both have identical 6-12-18 playoff scoring lines with the Bruins.

Although most Bruins didn’t play well statistically in the 2013 Final, I’ve always felt that if Seguin had stepped it up just a bit and lived up to his potential, that series might have gone to a Game 7, or maybe the outcome would have been entirely different. Who knows.

As far as 2021 goes, I’m having a hard time seeing who on the Bruins roster would be able to bring any scoring depth in return. Unlike most Boston sports fans (members of this forum excepted), I know that nobody is going to send us an all-star in return for a bag of crap.

I really want another RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad