Player Discussion Igor Shesterkin

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Is GSAx cumulative or average? There was some stat like this that was cumulative and in Shesterkin's 12 games when he first came over he already led the league in it; he prevented more goals in those 12 games than any other goalie all season.. that's like leading the league in scoring after playing 12 games when everyone else played 60; insane.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Is GSAx cumulative or average? There was some stat like this that was cumulative and in Shesterkin's 12 games when he first came over he already led the league in it; he prevented more goals in those 12 games than any other goalie all season.. that's like leading the league in scoring after playing 12 games when everyone else played 60; insane.
No idea lol.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
cumulative

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Does anyone remember how we had a bunch of vocal posters that wanted us to draft a goalie in the first round last draft? No matter how many times we see that we have to be patient, fans are never patient with anyone.

Because Wallstedt was viewed as the BPA by a considerable margin, and therefore had much more value than other guys on the board.

If he ended up being an insurance policy we needed to cash in, then fine, we had him. Otherwise, the odds of us being able to eventually trade him for a better player than whomever we took in place (Othmann in this case) was pretty damn high.

Reactions: Kaapo di tutti capi

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Because Wallstedt was viewed as the BPA by a considerable margin, and therefore had much more value than other guys on the board.

If he ended up being an insurance policy we needed to cash in, then fine, we had him. Otherwise, the odds of us being able to eventually trade him for a better player than whomever we took in place (Othmann in this case) was pretty damn high.

BPA doesn't work for goalies, you can only start one. And I don't buy drafting someone just to trade them later, especially a goalie. We're going to get pennies on the dollar for Kravtsov. Look who we traded Buch for. Different situations, but you rarely recoup full value for these guys. Cuyle was as good as it gets for Lias, but Lias was drafted #7.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
BPA doesn't work for goalies, you can only start one. And I don't buy drafting someone just to trade them later, especially a goalie. We're going to get pennies on the dollar for Kravtsov. Look who we traded Buch for. Different situations, but you rarely recoup full value for these guys. Cuyle was as good as it gets for Lias, but Lias was drafted #7.

Buch, Kravtsov, and Lias are all situations where our hands were forced though.

If we decided to start shopping Schneider now, we'd do much better than pennies on the dollar. I'd expect that we could get a pick a little higher than where he was taken.

Wallstedt being a goalie would probably hurt the value a little, but most of us didn't think he was just barely the BPA. More like the BPA by 5-6 picks. In a draft where a bunch of guys are going to flop.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Buch, Kravtsov, and Lias are all situations where our hands were forced though.

If we decided to start shopping Schneider now, we'd do much better than pennies on the dollar. I'd expect that we could get a pick a little higher than where he was taken.

Wallstedt being a goalie would probably hurt the value a little, but most of us didn't think he was just barely the BPA. More like the BPA by 5-6 picks. In a draft where a bunch of guys are going to flop.

I just think that goalie and QB in the NFL are two positions you don't pick in the first round even if they're BPA if you have a good starter. I think drafting a player with the thought that he might be traded at some point is misguided.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I just think that goalie and QB in the NFL are two positions you don't pick in the first round even if they're BPA if you have a good starter. I think drafting a player with the thought that he might be traded at some point is misguided.

Meh, fair enough. We can just agree to disagree.

I'm pretty tired haha

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
upload_2021-11-1_0-17-43.gif

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Does anyone remember how we had a bunch of vocal posters that wanted us to draft a goalie in the first round last draft? No matter how many times we see that we have to be patient, fans are never patient with anyone.

that had to do with (a) BPA being a goalie there, and (b) Igor likely needing to double his current contract $ in 4 years, when he will be entering his 30s.

taking Wallstedt meant we could move Igor in his prime 2 or 3 years from now, get a good return, and hand the team over to a cost-controlled early-20s next-greatest-thing.

Of course, that all would be contingent on Wallstedt becoming elite as projected, but that would have been the idea.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I remember all the bitching about his contract this summer, fun times.

Guy is a stud that just needs to stay healthy...

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Drafting a goalie of all things to possibly trade isn’t very wise imo. Unless a goalie is proven elite, their value is never in line with skaters

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He is amazing. Too bad we didn’t give him an 8 year deal. Hopefully the cap jumps by the time he is an UFA.
Or we can just let him go.

Signing UFA goalies is an exclusively bad move that has everything to do with emotion and nothing to do with value.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Or we can just let him go.

Signing UFA goalies is an exclusively bad move that has everything to do with emotion and nothing to do with value.

I honestly think this will be the end result, just keep drafting goalies and use them in their prime, let them sign the Lundqvist deal somewhere else.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I honestly think this will be the end result, just keep drafting goalies and use them in their prime, let them sign the Lundqvist deal somewhere else.
Or don't bother with the drafting either and just keep signing the very good goalies that nobody cares about for some reason. There's always 3 or 4 of them bouncing around.

Since the lockout, Jaroslav Halak is second in GSAx behind Lundqvist and nobody ever noticed.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Anyone else catch this little nugget in the Post Q&A with Serby....

Igor Shesterkin talks everything Rangers, Henrik Lundqvist, NYC

Q: What was the biggest lesson you learned from Lundqvist?
A: I didn’t really talk to him, but I looked up to him, and in a sense I learned from him without words, just by watching.

Validates what @Edge was talking about when they didn't keep Henrik around to be the backup.

Way to be a mentor, Hank. :eyeroll:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone else catch this little nugget in the Post Q&A with Serby....

Igor Shesterkin talks everything Rangers, Henrik Lundqvist, NYC

Validates what @Edge was talking about when they didn't keep Henrik around to be the backup.

Way to be a mentor, Hank. :eyeroll:

This reminds me of famous Dutch football coach Co Adriaanse when footballing legend Marco van Basten was announced as the national team coach, who said "A good horse doesn't make a good jockey".

Time and time again we've seen this in sports where great players can't cut it in a coaching role. I think that applies to Lundqvist as well. His current role, as Valiquette's sidekick in the studio, is perfect for him.

Reactions: CLW and tlk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad