Igor Shesterkin is really damn good

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Other than having an inconsequentially larger sample size and playing on a much better team, there is nothing that would lead any level headed person to make that statement...other than dislike of a team/player/fanbase.

Have you seen Holtby's stats? Lmk when you look up the difference between a rookie goalie and a vezina winner playing on the same team having vezina winner stats vs. bottom 5 stats.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
threads like this have 2 formulaic replies:

1) fans of the team saying "yeah he's the best"
2) fans of other teams saying "no he's not"

if you want a thread of everyone agreeing with you, you'll get it on your team's board. if you want an argument, post it on the main board, gloating after beating a bad team

pretty cut and dry there partner

That's a really cute reply and all, but it unfortunately completely misses the point of the post it was in response to. Feel free to try again, though.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
6 games. Did you even address anything I said in the post you quoted?

Uhh..what is there to address? You responded to a guy saying it wasn't a big accomplishment doing well against the Kings and you said he leads the league in save percentage. It is a ridiculous thing to bring up considering he hasn't even made a road start and I think you know it...

NYR7

Dec 20, 2008
Connecticut
Worth stashing in a keeper fantasy league good?
Sorry if already answered, Quinn said last night in post game regarding the 3 goalie situation "It's no longer about keeping any player fresh, the player who plays best is going to play.". Right then and there I plucked him.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Samsonov is better but Igor is going to be good as well. 2G for Russia.
No offense, but Samsonov is nowhere near Shesty as of right now. Sammy has trouble tracking, flops around, and creates almost as much chaos as Holtby. Samsonov's athleticism bails him out. Shesterkin has great reflexes, excellent lateral movement, and he is a dynamic puck-handler. He seems like a guy who will allow a softie here and there, but fundamentally rock solid otherwise.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
No offense, but Samsonov is nowhere near Shesty as of right now. Sammy has trouble tracking, flops around, and creates almost as much chaos as Holtby. Samsonov's athleticism bails him out. Shesterkin has great reflexes, excellent lateral movement, and he is a dynamic puck-handler. He seems like a guy who will allow a softie here and there, but fundamentally rock solid otherwise.

Agree to disagree. Sammy has better pedigree (1st rounder vs. 4th rounder / year younger) and will be starting in the playoffs for a top 4 team in the league because he's beaten out a Vezina winner in his should-be prime for the job. His counting stats say your analysis is damn flawed, albeit 25 or so games. But I guess all I needed to see was your location of NYC. No bias there right.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Agree to disagree. Sammy has better pedigree (1st rounder vs. 4th rounder / year younger) and will be starting in the playoffs for a top 4 team in the league because he's beaten out a Vezina winner in his should-be prime for the job. His counting stats say your analysis is damn flawed, albeit 25 or so games. But I guess all I needed to see was your location of NYC. No bias there right.
Holtby won a vezina like 5 years ago and has been average at best the last 2 or 3 years, maybe even worse than average this year. Samsanov is very good but he’s not beating out a prime vezina caliber goalie by any stretch of the imagination.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Serious question, how much development did they really do? He was a stud when they took him, and he's only been with the organization in person for less than a year.

Not trying to throw shade, I would give more credit to the scouting team than the development team in this particular case. It's not like he marinated and learned the game in AHL and as a backup for a few years.
I’m no expert but I’ve heard he relied more on athleticism prior to coming under Allaire. He has become a bit more technique-focused which of course conserves energy and stress. And probably helps improve rebound control. Indeed his athletic skill, glove hand, vision, and stick were probably in place before joining the Rangers, and those are still his strengths.

Reactions: belford22

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
To be honest, the truest test is the eye test. Of course I am biased, but Shesterkin looks a lot more solid to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Uhh..what is there to address? You responded to a guy saying it wasn't a big accomplishment doing well against the Kings and you said he leads the league in save percentage. It is a ridiculous thing to bring up considering he hasn't even made a road start and I think you know it...

I was correcting someone who was making an obviously incorrect point. No one's making a thread because of one game against the second worst team in the league. The thread was made because of all six games, which was what I said.

You didn't address anything I said about that specifically. You want to downplay it because you downplay anything positive relating to the Rangers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Goalies are in their prime at 30 not 37. Keep those goggles on tho buddy you have a real good history on these boards for talking objectively about the Rangers.

This is how you know you are losing an argument. I asked you a question because you made an error in what you said. Don't blame me for your error. You could've admitted it. Instead, you blame the person who pointed out the obvious contradiction.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m no expert but I’ve heard he relied more on athleticism prior to coming under Allaire. He has become a bit more technique-focused which of course conserves energy and stress. And probably helps improve rebound control. Indeed his athletic skill, glove hand, vision, and stick were probably in place before joining the Rangers, and those are still his strengths.

He did so a few years back. The past few years he's become much more well-rounded, and that started well before he started working with Allaire.

Reactions: egelband

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
threads like this have 2 formulaic replies:

1) fans of the team saying "yeah he's the best"
2) fans of other teams saying "no he's not"

if you want a thread of everyone agreeing with you, you'll get it on your team's board. if you want an argument, post it on the main board, gloating after beating a bad team

pretty cut and dry there partner
You haven't visited the Rangers board

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
That's a really cute reply and all, but it unfortunately completely misses the point of the post it was in response to. Feel free to try again, though.

I don't think it's totally untrue. Some people take it as "gloating", others appreciate the player. BTW, have you ever been right about anything? Still waiting on that TI.

Reactions: tny760

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Have you seen Holtby's stats? Lmk when you look up the difference between a rookie goalie and a vezina winner playing on the same team having vezina winner stats vs. bottom 5 stats.
What's that have to do with Shesterkin?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I don't think it's totally untrue. Some people take it as "gloating", others appreciate the player. BTW, have you ever been right about anything? Still waiting on that TI.

I have no clue what you're even talking about, but the personal shot is amusing. Are you going to threaten to fight me over the internet again or something? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad