Iggy: Best To Move On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
For all we know, Iggy wants a reasonable deal......

I don't think Iggy would even be in discussions with Boston if he wanted a pay day. The B's can't give him a pay day and he knows that, Chis knows that, we all know that.
But with the cap situation right now, the B's can't offer him a reasonable deal without juggling a few things... and Chia has yet to start juggling.
I don't think Chia could offer him half of what he could get on the market at this point in time.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
As Rex Ryan once said and for all we know he could have been talking about Chris Kelly 'all the guy does is win' 60-19-2 when in lineup last 2 years. Mercy

Yeah and Robert Horry has 7 rings. :laugh:

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Would I like to retain a 30 goal scorer who wants to win the cup? For sure. Do I think we have a better internal option? Cloudy, ask again later.

Perfectly stated...

For all the Loui bashing over the season, I'm surprised at the number of people slotting him as the 1st line savior.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't think Iggy would even be in discussions with Boston if he wanted a pay day. The B's can't give him a pay day and he knows that, Chis knows that, we all know that.
But with the cap situation right now, the B's can't offer him a reasonable deal without juggling a few things... and Chia has yet to start juggling.
I don't think Chia could offer him half of what he could get on the market at this point in time.

Chia twisted and turned the contract and traded two roster players, conducted paper transactions with two others to scrape up 6 million dollars for Iginla last year (more than any bruin forward?). Why wouldn't he expect Chia to do so again for him?

Perfectly stated...

For all the Loui bashing over the season, I'm surprised at the number of people slotting him as the 1st line savior.
Savior? Iginla was the complimentary player on that line. Krejci and Lucic can dictate the game.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Chia twisted and turned the contract and traded two roster players, conducted paper transactions with two others to scrape up 6 million dollars for Iginla last year (more than any bruin forward?). Why wouldn't he expect Chia to do so again for him?

Savior? Iginla was the complimentary player on that line. Krejci and Lucic can dictate the game.

I would find it difficult to call 61 points complimentary as I would call 5.5 million an overpayment for that in the NHL.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
Perfectly stated...

Not so sure he's being hailed as a "savior" as much as he's really the only option for the position if Chiarelli does indeed stand pat, as he says he's planning to do.

Standing pat = no cap room for Iginla and no cap room for any moves aside from slotting a couple of youngsters into the lineup. Expect something like:

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Soderberg - Kelly - Spooner (or Lindblad / one of the other yutes)
Paille - Campbell - Florek
Extra: Robins

Chara - Seidenberg
Boychuk - McQuaid
Hamilton - Krug
Extra: Miller

Rask
Svedberg

Standing pat ultimately equals a weaker team than last year.

mt77850

Jul 13, 2004
Waltham, MA
Not so sure he's being hailed as a "savior" as much as he's really the only option for the position if Chiarelli does indeed stand pat, as he says he's planning to do.

Standing pat = no cap room for Iginla and no cap room for any moves aside from slotting a couple of youngsters into the lineup. Expect something like:

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Soderberg - Kelly - Spooner (or Lindblad / one of the other yutes)
Paille - Campbell - Florek
Extra: Robins

Chara - Seidenberg
Boychuk - McQuaid
Hamilton - Krug
Extra: Miller

Rask
Svedberg

Standing pat ultimately equals a weaker team than last year.

Yikes! That's not gonna get it done in this division with Detroit who will be better when healthy, Montreal, getting better etc. I think Eriksson will be better this year but I don't know if he will be first line better. I think it's totally necessary to move Kelly somehow.....I like what he brings to the table but his salary for what he does really restricts what the GM can do. I'm also starting to question if Spooner has what it takes to make a difference on his own....yes he's fast and he can dish the puck but I'm not sure if you're going to get a ton of points out of him if he's playing on the 3rd line. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I would find it difficult to call 61 points complimentary as I would call 5.5 million an overpayment for that in the NHL.

61 pts on a top line is complimentary- not to mention the eye test of who was driving that line vs who was riding. And he made 6 mil all together, no? Did any Bruin forward make as much?

qc

Aug 23, 2011
61 pts on a top line is complimentary- not to mention the eye test of who was driving that line vs who was riding. And he made 6 mil all together, no? Did any Bruin forward make as much?

But all top lines are not created equal. 61 pts playing next to Crosby is complimentary, but on the Bruins, I'd say it's quite significant.

It's also worth mentioning just how consistent DK and Lucic looked throughout the regular season compared to the past, and I think Iggy's skillset and reputation played a role in that.

And while he certainly didn't come at a low cost, it's important to note that he structured his contract in a way that accommodated Chia and his "win-now" mindset, even in spite of cap constraints.

Just my opinion, but maybe we should wait until details emerge before we render Iginla as a Jagr-esque, money-hungry mercenary that is unwilling to budge.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Perfectly stated...

Hopefully a lot of people are seeing a lot of it was unjustified.

Yes, he's very slow, he's inconsistent, and he has pretty much no confidence. There's a lot to bash him for. But he still put up a 50 point pace while fighting through two relatively severe concussions in a two month span. That would put some people out of the league for good. He played well in the playoffs, for the most part... As well as anyone else not named Bergeron or Hamilton. If he's healthy, accustomed to the team, and put with two great linemates, I see no reason why he can't get 60 points or so, especially when he has a history of doing so with two similar linemates (Richards/Krejci, Benn/Lucic). Claude kept him on the PP all year long, he would definitely get more time.

Again, I'd like to see an improvement over him there, but if Iggy is let go, I don't know who can improve upon him there.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
But all top lines are not created equal. 61 pts playing next to Crosby is complimentary, but on the Bruins, I'd say it's quite significant.

It's also worth mentioning just how consistent DK and Lucic looked throughout the regular season compared to the past, and I think Iggy's skillset and reputation played a role in that.

And while he certainly didn't come at a low cost, it's important to note that he structured his contract in a way that accommodated Chia and his "win-now" mindset, even in spite of cap constraints.

Just my opinion, but maybe we should wait until details emerge before we render Iginla as a Jagr-esque, money-hungry mercenary that is unwilling to budge.

Iginla was in the best possible spot on the best possible line on the team to put up points.

Krejci and Lucic have always been pretty consistent pts wise- was there any real shift in their game b/c Iginla was on their line rather than anyone else who's been in that line?

Last- when, other than staying in Calgary, has Iginla given any hint that he isn't out for the most money he can get on a team that will make a run? Where is this good will/ benifit of the doubt coming from, other than blind hope.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Kelly needs to go … that's the first player I try to move (if he waives his NTC).

Mcquaid could fetch you a draft pick (maybe a 4th?).

Honestly, I think 2014-2015 will be the bruins best chance to do anything because after that it's going to simmer down considering cap space + krejci to sign + holes in D.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kelly needs to go … that's the first player I try to move (if he waives his NTC).

Mcquaid could fetch you a draft pick (maybe a 4th?).

Honestly, I think 2014-2015 will be the bruins best chance to do anything because after that it's going to simmer down considering cap space + krejci to sign + holes in D.
Kelly would be nuts to waive it but they can move Campbell and use Kelly on 4th line.

Why would Kelly waive that? If I was him I wouldn't plus with Thornton gone you need his leadership

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Kelly would be nuts to waive it but they can move Campbell and use Kelly on 4th line.

Why would Kelly waive that? If I was him I wouldn't plus with Thornton gone you need his leadership

Do you think there are teams that would take Kelly at $3m per for the next 2 seasons? If so, his contract can be moved.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You're going to have a hard time convincing Kelly to waive and leave this team while they're at their peak and going for another cup run. I think that's part of the problem.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Iginla was in the best possible spot on the best possible line on the team to put up points.

Krejci and Lucic have always been pretty consistent pts wise- was there any real shift in their game b/c Iginla was on their line rather than anyone else who's been in that line?

Last- when, other than staying in Calgary, has Iginla given any hint that he isn't out for the most money he can get on a team that will make a run? Where is this good will/ benifit of the doubt coming from, other than blind hope.

Good will? Benefit of the doubt? I just have never heard of Iggy being a money-grubbing mercenary that values $ over anything else, so I don't feel comfortable concluding that he was the only one at fault in any (possible) botched negotiations. I'm willing to change my opinion if you have any evidence indicating his greediness.

All I said is it might be wise to wait to hear about what we offered and what he asked for, especially considering that he has not officially ruled out Boston yet. We have a rough cap situation, and there is a possibility that Iggy is asking for a fair market deal, but we simply have too much money tied up in other areas (not to mention Krug, JB, and Smith contracts).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Do you think there are teams that would take Kelly at $3m per for the next 2 seasons? If so, his contract can be moved.

No- remember Kelly is to Chiarelli as Florek is to Cassidy as that blanket is to that little girl on the Arbella commercial.

I think Kelly stays. Chia loves how he's like a stunt double for Bergeron and Krejci doing the heavy stuff

I love Campbell but Kelly does more is a better leader and even at $3 M has value

He could go but Chiarelli will be crying so hard when Kelly's asked for him to be a nice guy and waive the NTC that Chris may not understand what Chia is even saying

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Good will? Benefit of the doubt? I just have never heard of Iggy being a money-grubbing mercenary that values $ over anything else, so I don't feel comfortable concluding that he was the only one at fault in any (possible) botched negotiations. I'm willing to change my opinion if you have any evidence indicating his greediness.

All I said is it might be wise to wait to hear about what we offered and what he asked for, especially considering that he has not officially ruled out Boston yet. We have a rough cap situation, and there is a possibility that Iggy is asking for a fair market deal, but we simply have too much money tied up in other areas (not to mention Krug, JB, and Smith contracts).

1. Overriding his trade to Boston after being willing- cost Calgary the prospect package they valued more

2. Signing in Boston for more than any forward in Boston.

Both show me a guy who is interested in himself over the "good of the team" particularly this team.

Can't blame him what does he owe us anyway? But at the same time I don't see any evidence that there is any "good will" or "doubt" that he would do anything but what's best for him.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
No- remember Kelly is to Chiarelli as Florek is to Cassidy as that blanket is to that little girl on the Arbella commercial.

I think Kelly stays. Chia loves how he's like a stunt double for Bergeron and Krejci doing the heavy stuff

I love Campbell but Kelly does more is a better leader and even at $3 M has value

He could go but Chiarelli will be crying so hard when Kelly's asked for him to be a nice guy and waive the NTC that Chris may not understand what Chia is even saying

That part that's terrifying is that I believe you. The problem is Kelly is much closer to Campbell than he is Bergeron.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
1. Overriding his trade to Boston after being willing- cost Calgary the prospect package they valued more

Both show me a guy who is interested in himself over the "good of the team" particularly this team.

Can't blame him what does he owe us anyway? But at the same time I don't see any evidence that there is any "good will" or "doubt" that he would do anything but what's best for him.

Okay, glad you posted #1... Now I am certain that you're one of the many to have never gotten over the debacle from two deadlines ago. I tend to put as much blame on Chiarelli and Feaster as I do Iginla for that whole ordeal. Not to mention, Crosby tampered but thats all different discussion. And it seemed to me that, based on his decision, he wanted to win a cup above all else.

As far as #2, whether or not he made more than any Bruins forward is entirely irrelevant to the debate.

1. he got paid the amount of money that most 30 goal scoring wingers make
2. he structured the deal to accommodate the Bruins cap issues (instead of telling us to **** off before accepting a more lucrative deal elsewhere)
3. Chia negotiated the deal on behalf of the Bruins; if Iggy was putting us over a barrel in the way that you've described, then surely you want Chia canned for spending so much money on such a selfish non-team player?

And the fact that Chia didn't give him the Jagr treatment and say "thanks for this year, but we're done with you" must make him an even more incompetent GM, right? After all, Chia has stated his interest in keeping the guy, so he must see something in the guy that you do not.

Seems like you are possessing some good will yourself, only its directed at someone else. You're giving Chia the benefit of the doubt, I'm giving it to neither party until I hear some details about negotiations.

David Krejci*

Once again, you hit the nail right on the head.

I remember seeing that Iginla deal when it was first announced, and being confused. I will never fault a player for taking the most money, to do what he has to to support his family, but I'd think that by now, Iginla has made enough money that priority #1 would be to win a Cup. So to saddle a team with a cap penalty the next season, when he could potentially want to return if they fail the first year, instead of just taking a couple of million dollars less, left me scratching my head.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Once again, you hit the nail right on the head.

I remember seeing that Iginla deal when it was first announced, and being confused. I will never fault a player for taking the most money, to do what he has to to support his family, but I'd think that by now, Iginla has made enough money that priority #1 would be to win a Cup. So to saddle a team with a cap penalty the next season, when he could potentially want to return if they fail the first year, instead of just taking a couple of million dollars less, left me scratching my head.

It wasn't a couple million, it was 4.2 and no matter who you are that's a lot of money.

He's not going to sign here for 3M dollars and it's not his fault that this team has over spent on bottom 6 guys.

Chiarelli still has time to get out of this mess, but he's going to have to trade some players and soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad