Iggy: Best To Move On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I have a feeling Iggy doesnt re-sign with Bruins. I thought a deal would've been done by now, but for whatever reason negotiations may have hit a snag.

The more I think about the more I hope the Bruins move on from Iggy. I'd insert Loui on the top line.

Hes scored many goals in the past when playing on Dallas' top line, why not in Boston?

2nd line reamains.

3rd line - Yeti/Kelly/Spooner

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Why do people just keep putting Spooner on the wing? He's not a winger, he's said it himself. I wouldn't want Spooner on the wing, especially with a yeti/kelly combo.

I really think people are undervaluing what Iggy brings to this team. I'd bring him back at the right price and maybe flip him and Smith, but the depth of this team changes drastically if you don't bring him back.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Why do people just keep putting Spooner on the wing? He's not a winger, he's said it himself. I wouldn't want Spooner on the wing, especially with a yeti/kelly combo.

I really think people are undervaluing what Iggy brings to this team. I'd bring him back at the right price and maybe flip him and Smith, but the depth of this team changes drastically if you don't bring him back.

The Spooner thing is very hard for people to come to grips with. I understand. It would be pretty cool if he genuinly wanted to play wing, and the Bruins had any inclination of playing him there.

Here's what we know:

- No matter how long ago, Spooner made a statement that he perfers center. Maybe a little more with an exclamation point (to the Bruins brass), we don't know...all we do know is...

- The Bruins have declared him a center. Have come right out and said it to the media. Made a point of it.

But people dream, because...

- Spooner, when asked for a public comment said he'd play anywhere, "drive the zamboni."

What is he supposed to say in public?

"Yeah, I won't play wing. Just not comfortable there."

Come on.

Where there's smoke there's fire.

Don't pencil Spooner in at wing. There's issues.

David Krejci*

Iggy was fine, the guy who is looked to for producing on that line (DK) was not

Iggy wasn`t brought in to carry the offence, he was brought in to finish, and for the most part this year, he did just that. Krejci looked like he was lost on an island the entire playoff.

Hard to win when the players you look to most (Bergy<<<who`s gotten a massive free pass here IMO, Marchand and Krejci) did little to nothing and THAT, is why this team lost, had nothing to do with Iggy`s performance

You're wrong, man. Iginla was not fine at all. He had 5 goals, one of them was an empty netter, two of them came in garbage time when the game was already lost (when he was awful all game long), another one he was standing in front of the net and it just hit him and went in.

Marchand and Krejci were awful, Bergeron wasn't bad but wasn't the difference maker we're used to seeing. But Iginla was not even close to fine. At least Krejci was playing his puck possession game, Iginla looked nothing like he did in the regular season. He was weak on the puck and couldn't get or keep anything going cycling-wise (which is the bread and butter of that line), he was painfully slow which obviously makes more of a difference in the playoffs than the regular season, and of course he couldn't finish any of his real chances.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
What I can honestly say is I think that RW spot has been the weak spot of that line for many years, at least since Horton's second season. Both of those players are actually very similar. They'll manage to pot some goals playing on the first line and look okay doing it, but Iginla (now) and Horton (always) are just not breakout players at all.

I understand it's logical to keep Iginla and play him at that spot next season. But, I do hate the idea of it. It feels like a surrender and yes I understand there's really no other option. Call me negative, but I really find it hard to see winning a Cup with Iginla being relied upon so heavily.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Iggy was fine, the guy who is looked to for producing on that line (DK) was not

Iggy wasn`t brought in to carry the offence, he was brought in to finish, and for the most part this year, he did just that. Krejci looked like he was lost on an island the entire playoff.

Hard to win when the players you look to most (Bergy<<<who`s gotten a massive free pass here IMO, Marchand and Krejci) did little to nothing and THAT, is why this team lost, had nothing to do with Iggy`s performance

I disagree completely with that Iginla assessment. 100%. He was not fine.

And Bergeron might be getting a "free pass" but I think that's because he was one of the few guys who looked like he was really bringing it every night in the playoffs.

Looking at your opinion, you look like you rely very heavily on reading a stat sheet. If you do that, I'm not surprised that you concluded Bergeron sucked and Iginla was "fine". But my eyes that watched the game wholeheartedly disagree with you, and in a team game that isn't about individual stats, I'm sticking with my eyes.

acr*

The Spooner thing is very hard for people to come to grips with. I understand. It would be pretty cool if he genuinly wanted to play wing, and the Bruins had any inclination of playing him there.

Here's what we know:

- No matter how long ago, Spooner made a statement that he perfers center. Maybe a little more with an exclamation point (to the Bruins brass), we don't know...all we do know is...

- The Bruins have declared him a center. Have come right out and said it to the media. Made a point of it.

- Spooner, when asked for a public comment said he'd play anywhere, "drive the zamboni."

Come on.

If you don't pencil him in at wing, you aren't penciling him with Boston, imo. I don't see him taking over as center on the fourth line, even though it has been suggested. Frankly, I think he will be wearing a different jersey by the end of this weekend and if not then, by the trade deadline. Keeping him is holding him back at this point.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
In a perfect world, we let Iggy walk, Eriksson gets back to prime form, he's on the 1st line. No cap trouble! Problem is, we don't know if Eriksson will. Then, you saw how much Smith cooled off last year. What if his 20 goal season was just a hot streak? Then you have two anchors in the top-6. Too much of a risk to take for this team that has a pretty short window now.

I don't think you can find another player to replace Iginla. He's a sure 50-60 point 25-30 goal guy, he fits with the system, and has chemistry. The others will cost you 7m+. I think we need to sign him to a one year deal until we're out of this cap mess.

David Krejci*

What I can honestly say is I think that RW spot has been the weak spot of that line for many years, at least since Horton's second season. Both of those players are actually very similar. They'll manage to pot some goals playing on the first line and look okay doing it, but Iginla (now) and Horton (always) are just not breakout players at all.

I understand it's logical to keep Iginla and play him at that spot next season. But, I do hate the idea of it. It feels like a surrender and yes I understand there's really no other option. Call me negative, but I really find it hard to see winning a Cup with Iginla being relied upon so heavily.
Horton was amazing in the playoffs last year until his shoulder fell off in OT of Game 1 of the Finals. People forget so easily, he was amazing last year.

David Krejci*

If you don't pencil him in at wing, you aren't penciling him with Boston, imo. I don't see him taking over as center on the fourth line, even though it has been suggested. Frankly, I think he will be wearing a different jersey by the end of this weekend and if not then, by the trade deadline. Keeping him is holding him back at this point.
Agreed, which is why I've been including him in trade proposals with Marchand and Khoklachev to upgrade at a wing spot. I don't think Spooner or Khoklachev will ever have a real role on the Bruins, because they aren't going to usurp any of our top 3 centers, and they aren't 4th line type of skillsets.

I would love to see Spooner transition to wing, and be a Patrick Kane type of player. I think he is incredibly skilled. But all signs point to him not being able to, or not willing to really play wing. Just look at the night and day difference when he was up with the Bruins this year. When he was on the wing, he was borderline invisible (and that word gets thrown around a lot, but it's appropriate here). When he was at center, he was very, very good.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I disagree completely with that Iginla assessment. 100%. He was not fine.

And Bergeron might be getting a "free pass" but I think that's because he was one of the few guys who looked like he was really bringing it every night in the playoffs.

Looking at your opinion, you look like you rely very heavily on reading a stat sheet. If you do that, I'm not surprised that you concluded Bergeron sucked and Iginla was "fine". But my eyes that watched the game wholeheartedly disagree with you, and in a team game that isn't about individual stats, I'm sticking with my eyes.

Feel free to do so, I respectfully disagree, and do I rely heavily on stat sheets?? Nope, don`t make it sound like I said Iggy was great, best forward out there, I said he was fine, the bad news, fine was still better than his much younger linemates, one who has shown an ability to bring "it" come playoff time, and he didn`t.

Whether your a stat watcher or not, Krejci and his 4 assists were a joke and I`m open to hear you defend him, Bergy might have looked good too, but, in a team game as you like to say, doesn`t matter if ya look good, it`s all about results, and Iggy was far down on my list of "problems" in the playoffs

Last edited:

David Krejci*

They will make every effort to re-sign him; Chia knows they need a shooter/scorer and there are unfortunately no others available. I thought he was a lead pipe cinch to re-sign cap problems or not, but with every passing day I get the feeling he is gone and Loui is your new first line winger.

Eriksson looked pretty good when he was put on that line in the few games when Iginla was out with an injury. I would prefer we deal Marchand and prospects for a real upgrade in that spot, but I would be comfortable going into the season with Eriksson at that spot, and we can re-evaluate throughout the year and possibly address it in a trade if it's not working.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts

Here's what we know:

Come on.

Also, if you keep Kelly then you already have a replacement center if someone gets hurt. I don't see a place for Spooner to make the team next year. I don't see them letting Krejci or Soderberg walk away; I don't see him getting a shot as a 4th line center in two seasons. I'm all for exploring trades involving him as a piece.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Move on to who? Unless Kelly is scoring 30 goals next year we dont have many options.

And from Iginla's perspective, Move on to where?

I'm not sure that Iginla would prefer to move on, and if his asking price to stay isn't so awfully much, he may well still be a Bruin next Season. And I wouldn't really be unhappy about that. Again, as long as he and Lucic aren't on the same line!

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
No more incentive deals, please. Iggy can play the lottery, and the Bruins can move on with an actual first line again.

How about this as an incentive. Sign for a cap friendly salary, and his only bonus (and we can make it a lot for him) is if they win the cup. Take away all those little itty bitty bonuses, and wrap them up into a single stipulation. Bruins win the cup, Iggy gets his bonus and his cup. (is this even allowed?)

dilldog

May 28, 2012
Those little bitty bonuses amounted to 4.5 mil, or near that anyway. He's still valuable anywhere.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You're wrong, man. Iginla was not fine at all. He had 5 goals, one of them was an empty netter, two of them came in garbage time when the game was already lost (when he was awful all game long), another one he was standing in front of the net and it just hit him and went in.

Marchand and Krejci were awful, Bergeron wasn't bad but wasn't the difference maker we're used to seeing. But Iginla was not even close to fine. At least Krejci was playing his puck possession game, Iginla looked nothing like he did in the regular season. He was weak on the puck and couldn't get or keep anything going cycling-wise (which is the bread and butter of that line), he was painfully slow which obviously makes more of a difference in the playoffs than the regular season, and of course he couldn't finish any of his real chances.

Small sample size, bro.

Iginla lead the team in goals in the playoffs and regular season, and while you want to discount his goals in the playoffs, they were as many as Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci and Eriksson COMBINED.

Iginla had 5 goals and Lucic had 4. Yet Krejci had only 4 points playing between them! I don't see you pushing to deal Krejci.

If you think the Bruins window is now (and I know you do) how is letting Iginla go without a replacement any less ridiculous than dealing Boychuk for futures without a replacement?

If Iginla is willing to play at a discount, you have to keep him. If we can't afford Iginla without making moves, how do we bring in a soft guy, that flies the zone early, and that scores at the same rate for $6 million a year in Eberle?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't think it makes sense for either party to part ways.

For Iginla, he has another good shot at the Cup, a spot penciled in on a great line, and the stability that he knows he can have success here (as opposed to being disappointing in a new environment like Pittsburgh).

For Boston, they need right-handed RWs badly, they know he can be successful on their top line, and he is a unique player in that you know you can get him for less than market value and with an incentive-laden contract.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
Those little bitty bonuses amounted to 4.5 mil, or near that anyway. He's still valuable anywhere.

I don't get why so many bruin fans want to let iggy walk he is a perfect fit for the bruins and still for his age is a real good player. For me the blame for the playoffs for that line falls on DK.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

For Iginla, he has another good shot at the Cup, a spot penciled in on a great line, and the stability that he knows he can have success here (as opposed to being disappointing in a new environment like Pittsburgh).

For Boston, they need right-handed RWs badly, they know he can be successful on their top line, and he is a unique player in that you know you can get him for less than market value and with an incentive-laden contract.

That says it in a nutshell. Sure, he may not be with the Bruins next Season, but if I'm looking at the odds with respect to what's the 'likely' better option for both sides, then it's that Iginla stays.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

For Iginla, he has another good shot at the Cup, a spot penciled in on a great lines, and the stability that he knows he can have success here (as opposed to being disappointing in a new environment like Pittsburgh).

Not so sure.

Maybe it's the air up here on HFB, but I've begun to wonder about both the first and second lines (never mind three, four, and defensive pairings. Oy!) As I mentioned in the "Shopping Loui" thread, at this point maybe that's an option if it (and ancillary moves, eg Bart) clear the cap decks and bring the B's something comparable or near comparable coming back.

Although I'm conservative (small c), I've begun to feel as if more than tweaks are necessary, not only to address cap hell issues, but for the club to (sorry, say it with me) evolve going forward.

I really feel as if this has become a significant juncture in the road.

David Krejci*

Small sample size, bro.

Iginla lead the team in goals in the playoffs and regular season, and while you want to discount his goals in the playoffs, they were as many as Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci and Eriksson COMBINED.

Iginla had 5 goals and Lucic had 4. Yet Krejci had only 4 points playing between them! I don't see you pushing to deal Krejci.

If you think the Bruins window is now (and I know you do) how is letting Iginla go without a replacement any less ridiculous than dealing Boychuk for futures without a replacement?

If Iginla is willing to play at a discount, you have to keep him. If we can't afford Iginla without making moves, how do we bring in a soft guy, that flies the zone early, and that scores at the same rate for $6 million a year in Eberle?
You just ignored completely my breakdown of his goals. I know his goal total looks fine, that's not what I'm talking about. My whole point is that his 5 goal total is deceiving. Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, and Eriksson all deserve criticism, and have gotten it.

This is the only year that Krejci has had a bad playoffs. There was 2012, but he was playing concussed after that pane of glass fell on his head after Game 1. Krejci is in his prime, Iginla is 37 and will be another year older and slower. We're all talking about how out of character Krejci and Lucic looked in the playoffs, could it be that Iginla just isn't a good fit there? Because that's the one variable from that line that is different from the past. Iginla scored 30 goals, you can get away with having a line that doesn't work when you're playing crappy teams and teams who aren't even trying in the regular season. But the true measuring stick is the playoffs, and Iginla just wasn't close to himself when the postseason started.

Marchand has been terrible in the playoffs since 2011. He had a good 4 games vs the Penguins in the ECF, other than that he's been terrible in the playoffs. He should be dealt with prospects to get a legitimate winger to upgrade Iginla's spot. Smith-Bergeron-Eriksson can be the 2nd line, and we can find serviceable 3rd liners. Paille definitely has the skills to be that 3rd line LW, he has shown a ton over these past couple of years and scored a lot of clutch goals for us.

Assuming Kelly gets moved because of the obvious cap issue, your bottom 6 would look as follows:

Paille-Soderberg-? (Fraser?)
X-Campbell-X

There are plenty of free agents who could be signed for very cheap deals to play on that 4th line, and we also have a plethora of prospects, outside of whoever we packaged with Marchand, to also compete for spots.

As far as the Eberle vs Iginla thing, I honestly believe that Eberle is the best kind of player to put on that line with Lucic and Krejci. That line was always absolutely dynamite when Seguin was put in that spot. I think for chemistry purposes, that line would be most effective with a legitimate goal scorer who can skate on that RW.

I wish there was a way we could've kept Horton. I said it when he walked and we signed Iginla, we lost something there that Iginla was not able to replicate. I thought that maybe for a year, it would be good, with Iginla being so desperate to win a Cup, but he just doesn't have it anymore.

Wrong. Krejci finished the playoffs with the worst Relative Corsi out of any Bruins in the top 9.

Even worse, his Relative Goals For was at -49%!!! That's so insanely bad I thought it was a typo.

This isn't baseball. I don't care what the stats say. Krejci looked a lot more like Krejci in the playoffs, minus the goals, than Iginla looked like Iginla. I'm not talking about goals, I already broke down why Iginla's goals in the playoffs are deceiving. I was honestly shocked at how terrible and sluggish Iginla looked, being that he was on one of his final quests to win a Stanley Cup.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You just ignored completely my breakdown of his goals. I know his goal total looks fine, that's not what I'm talking about. My whole point is that his 5 goal total is deceiving. Marchand, Bergeron, Krejci, and Eriksson all deserve criticism, and have gotten it.

This is the only year that Krejci has had a bad playoffs. There was 2012, but he was playing concussed after that pane of glass fell on his head after Game 1. Krejci is in his prime, Iginla is 37 and will be another year older and slower. We're all talking about how out of character Krejci and Lucic looked in the playoffs, could it be that Iginla just isn't a good fit there? Because that's the one variable from that line that is different from the past. Iginla scored 30 goals, you can get away with having a line that doesn't work when you're playing crappy teams and teams who aren't even trying in the regular season. But the true measuring stick is the playoffs, and Iginla just wasn't close to himself when the postseason started.

Marchand has been terrible in the playoffs since 2011. He had a good 4 games vs the Penguins in the ECF, other than that he's been terrible in the playoffs. He should be dealt with prospects to get a legitimate winger to upgrade Iginla's spot. Smith-Bergeron-Eriksson can be the 2nd line, and we can find serviceable 3rd liners. Paille definitely has the skills to be that 3rd line LW, he has shown a ton over these past couple of years and scored a lot of clutch goals for us.

Assuming Kelly gets moved because of the obvious cap issue, your bottom 6 would look as follows:

Paille-Soderberg-? (Fraser?)
X-Campbell-X

There are plenty of free agents who could be signed for very cheap deals to play on that 4th line, and we also have a plethora of prospects, outside of whoever we packaged with Marchand, to also compete for spots.

As far as the Eberle vs Iginla thing, I honestly believe that Eberle is the best kind of player to put on that line with Lucic and Krejci. That line was always absolutely dynamite when Seguin was put in that spot. I think for chemistry purposes, that line would be most effective with a legitimate goal scorer who can skate on that RW.

I wish there was a way we could've kept Horton. I said it when he walked and we signed Iginla, we lost something there that Iginla was not able to replicate. I thought that maybe for a year, it would be good, with Iginla being so desperate to win a Cup, but he just doesn't have it anymore.

This isn't baseball. I don't care what the stats say. Krejci looked a lot more like Krejci in the playoffs, minus the goals, than Iginla looked like Iginla. I'm not talking about goals, I already broke down why Iginla's goals in the playoffs are deceiving. I was honestly shocked at how terrible and sluggish Iginla looked, being that he was on one of his final quests to win a Stanley Cup.

So....regular season Iggy was a good fit, playoffs, not so good for Krejci?? I know you love DK, and I`ve been more than happy to not be on him in the past 2 seasons for floating his was around for half the regular season but to say he played anywhere near the level he is capable of is just something I can`t agree with.

Much how I feel about Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, the players this team needs to produce to lift them past other teams didn`t. It`s funny, whenever I watch a broadcast, rarely do I hear the broadcasters speak of any player with the reminder to fans of "but 4 of those goals were empty netters", hey, they all count, off legs, skates or whatever, least he was in front of the bloody net to make it happen.

Iggy looked slow, Iggy struggled to keep up at times, so too did 11 other Bruin forwards at any given time. Iggy wasn`t brought in to be the guy here, he was brought in to finish, and for the year, he did just that more often than not. In the playoffs, I thought he was fine, which isn`t necessarily a fantastic grade.

And now you mention Horton?? I`m sorry, we all loved the clutch scoring during the Cup run, but if you think Horton would have been the guy who raised the level of play of that line I`m going to have to disagree. 99% of the time the guy played with no pulse, and since his concussion(s), I`m not so certain he registered a hit.

Krejci played nowhere near his standards, and he said as much below

David Krejci (zero goals in playoffs): “I didn’t do my job in the playoffs.’’
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ffs-painful/PBpcVg9ufjc8n5yd3M7CeJ/story.html

Still think Krejci looked more like Krejci minus the pts?

http://nesn.com/2014/05/david-krejci-im-going-to-train-like-never-before-after-playoff-exit/

Rebel Bruin

Jan 7, 2014
Dublin
I love Iginla.
Would like to see him come back.
But I just don't think it'll get done for cap reasons.

Put LE21 in his spot.
Fill out the roster with Providence kids.

Keep some cap room for a deadline day wing upgrade.

Scrape into the playoffs - the new playoff format make finishing top of the conference/league much less valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad