Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Mods, merge as you will.

I like Jarome, but he's 37, and don't know what another year of the same "first" line will produce in the playoffs.

No capoligist, but *perhaps* letting Iggy go is their best Get Out of Jail card. Doing so to Detroit, which is apparently possible, would be tough to take. Won't lie: as much as I think of Jarome, if he did jump ship to DET, especially as they are in our division, I would think a bit less of him. Know I'm being unfair.

In the event, if letting the Igman go might assist in solving the vexing cap n' sign problems now facing the B's --and with his age & possible term in mind -- would you guys let him go? Remember, clearing space for ? in the playoff's JI/DK/ML could mean another year wasted. If the Bruins part ways, whatever else, they may retain the likes of Boychuck, Kelly, McQuaid, et. al.

(PS Having signed NS to a one way deal as Tuukka's backup, I'd let Bart go, purely for cap considerations.)

Thinking out loud,

:help:

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Iginla would never choose a different team over the Bruins, never :sarcasm:

I think it's a good fit but it comes down to the cap dollars. If Iginla doesn't take a hometown discount I'd let him walk, but if he will sign him, it's all about value at this point.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
My only issue with the whole thing... and I know Iggy is slowing down, is we aren't going to get anyone as cheap that can play in his spot and produce at the same clip. Unless we are talking multi-year contract, Iggy we can pay mostly in bonuses which don't affect us until the following season. Which I do think Chiarelli is going to need to make some serious decisions by then, regardless of Iggy.

This season we need to re-sign Smith and Krug and find a top line solution. Before Savards LTIR, we have less than 4 million to do that, as well as get some replacements for the bottom line.

Unless Chiarelli has some sort of ace up his sleeve, we need to move higher paid guys out and bring in a new 1st line RWer. Not impossible... but it's not going to come cheaper than Iginla, in my opinion.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I get the feeling he will sign, I think he's meeting with PC either wednesday or thursday. And if he does sign, it means one of Loui or Smith is out the door. Hopefully Kelly.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Letting Iggy go begs the question: who do we replace him with?
Horton was worse in the regular season, but money in the postseason, and he made Krejci better (which Iggy did not do). But he's obviously not that guy anymore.
Loui?
A UFA who is somehow a 50-60 pt guy, yet costs $4million?

David Krejci*

If they bring him back, it has to be in a 3rd line role, and for very cheap money. They need to upgrade that 1st line RW spot otherwise they are ****ed. His age was very apparent in the playoffs, despite his 5 goals he did not play well at all. Looked like he couldn't keep up, and he'll be a year older and slower.

As for who you replace him with, that guy isn't out there in free agency. Package Marchand and your many prospect assets to get that guy. Names they should be looking at are guys like Eberle, Pavelski, Sharp, that kind of player. Evander Kane is not the answer.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I get the feeling he will sign, I think he's meeting with PC either wednesday or thursday. And if he does sign, it means one of Loui or Smith is out the door. Hopefully Kelly.

Iggy signing doesn't mean one of Loui or Smith is out the door at all.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
Thought about this today, slow work day haha.

I love Iggy, but he is older, and if he wants 6m that might be too much. But I'd be fine letting him go if they found a replacement. Problem is there isn't much out there.

Don't want Vanek, Cammalleri, Gaborik will stay in LA… if they could somehow get E Kane or Sharp (no idea how they'd get Sharp, just an idea) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Problem is I just don't see a suitable first line RW that's a realistic get, and I don't think Loui is good in that spot. Or Smith obviously.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
I imagine Iginla has agreed in concept to coming back and PC is working out the details on other players first in order to get as much as Iginlas contract on the books this season as possible.

I see a incentive laden deal.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I imagine Iginla has agreed in concept to coming back and PC is working out the details on other players first in order to get as much as Iginlas contract on the books this season as possible.

I see a incentive laden deal.

That's probably the worst thing that can happen when we have to look into re-signing guys like Krejci, Boychuk, Soderberg, and Hamilton next year.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If hes desperate enough to come back that he'll take a big discount than fine. If not I think we can live with moving on. Just need to be more flexible with line combos.

Still hoping Iggy comes back.

A fully healthy Kelly is still a good third liner but its going to suck if we don't buy him out and he gets hurt a lot going forwrad.

Capt Jack

May 12, 2014
I don't think Iggy is coming back cap is just too tight unless they unload some contracts.
Loui moves up someone cheap is 3rd line RW.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Thought about this today, slow work day haha.

I love Iggy, but he is older, and if he wants 6m that might be too much. But I'd be fine letting him go if they found a replacement. Problem is there isn't much out there.

Don't want Vanek, Cammalleri, Gaborik will stay in LA… if they could somehow get E Kane or Sharp (no idea how they'd get Sharp, just an idea) I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Problem is I just don't see a suitable first line RW that's a realistic get, and I don't think Loui is good in that spot. Or Smith obviously.

That about sums it up for a lot of fans,wouldn't mind someone better playing on that 1st line but maybe that person isn't out there.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Mods, merge as you will.

I like Jarome, but he's 37, and don't know what another year of the same "first" line will produce in the playoffs.

No capoligist, but *perhaps* letting Iggy go is their best Get Out of Jail card. Doing so to Detroit, which is apparently possible, would be tough to take. Won't lie: as much as I think of Jarome, if he did jump ship to DET, especially as they are in our division, I would think a bit less of him. Know I'm being unfair.

In the event, if letting the Igman go might assist in solving the vexing cap n' sign problems now facing the B's --and with his age & possible term in mind -- would you guys let him go? Remember, clearing space for ? in the playoff's JI/DK/ML could mean another year wasted. If the Bruins part ways, whatever else, they may retain the likes of Boychuck, Kelly, McQuaid, et. al.

(PS Having signed NS to a one ay deal as Tuukka's backup, I'd let Bart go, purely for cap considerations.)

Thinking out loud,

:help:

All good points. :nod: Dead on.

I've made my feelings known about Iggy in many other threads...so, I won't rehash. Anybody who cares to read my posts already gets the idea.

I'm pretty much with ya.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Letting Iggy go begs the question: who do we replace him with?
Horton was worse in the regular season, but money in the postseason, and he made Krejci better (which Iggy did not do). But he's obviously not that guy anymore.
Loui?
A UFA who is somehow a 50-60 pt guy, yet costs $4million?

Horton made Krejci better?? Um, don`t think so

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He certainly worked a lot better with him in the playoffs than Iginla did.

Iggy was fine, the guy who is looked to for producing on that line (DK) was not

Iggy wasn`t brought in to carry the offence, he was brought in to finish, and for the most part this year, he did just that. Krejci looked like he was lost on an island the entire playoff.

Hard to win when the players you look to most (Bergy<<<who`s gotten a massive free pass here IMO, Marchand and Krejci) did little to nothing and THAT, is why this team lost, had nothing to do with Iggy`s performance

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I would let Iginla walk purely to avoid another contract full of bonuses that will cause us to go through this whole scenario next offseason. Having little cap room this offseason sucks, but if it happens next offseason your talking about possibly losing Krejci or Boychuk.

Lets just move on and get through a season where they could possibly be the bottom seed in the division playoff.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
IF Iginla's contract is mainly bonuses, I hope they're realistic. No more of these "10 games played" crap. I am probably one of the few who didn't want him signed last year, and for that matter, the year before. I believe the 1st line RW we need is out there but PC doesn't want to "spend" the assets to get him.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
I completely agree with you ODDAT, on that.
I don't think it would be possible to find a player like Jarome Iginla producing at that price.
I think he was very good last year and what tells you when taken on a contract like that.

Iggy knew from the start if he wanted to get paid he had to produce.
I was more than pleased with his season. as ODDAT mentioned Patrice, Marchie and especillay Krejci just couldn't score.

We been on and on this remarkable series, of missed opportunities and 15-16 shots hitting the post and sometimes stayed on the goalline or an inch away. Nobody played bad in the first game.
It's almost impossible when you create hundreds of real good scoring chances.

Look at the stat sheet and many players had six shots on goal and twice the attempt.
For whatever reason they hesitated. All of them missed where most players would have scored.
It is so sad, but I have no problem going back with the exact same team and win it.

For one thing I can't understand that some wants Reilly Smith gone. We almost got him from heaven. He was consitently one of the best forwards except for a period after new years eve.
He was perhaps the best forward in the playoffs along with another surprise Carl Soderberg.

Reilly improved and got stronger and better all season. This guy can play and score.
He is much more of a hard worker and stronger along the boards. I can't see him go down.
Even if Iggy declines some few percentage it shouldn't matter,
cause I think Loui, Brad, Krejci, Looch and Bergy want it real bad.

The question mark I can see are if they all wanted to play tic-tac-toe which isn't suitable for all.
For sure they scored and made pretty plays but it hurts the first line most because it slows them down more, than Bergy's line or Carl's line.

Guys that are good blocking shots but also blocking playing lines and quickly send the puck up ice to a forward like happened and was our downfault.
I just thought Montreal got the best from trading deadline, but it wasn't just Tomas Vanek.
Who would believe 5'10 Mike Wiever could play that well, take hits like that?
I've never liked him, but he sure played the series of his life.
I thought Looch almost would knock him out with booncrushing checks, but the short D man picked himself up. Went down blocking another shot and somehow, many times took control of the puck and quickly found a forward sneaking in´behind the all too much offence Bruins defensemen. It was not Matt Barkowski all the time it was all Bruins defensemen, who in turn never got a help from distant backchecking forwards.
Josh Georges was another, but he has always impressed me with his defense and quick recovery.

I don't know how these last two years can go away.
Last year we were even closer with a worse group of individuals. Or was it?

Whose the best pure goal scorer in the history of the NHL besides Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky. Easily it's Jaromir Jagr. Even if he was 10-15 years from his best days, he can shoot the puck and tell you before where he's putting it. He still does. Only that score for the Bruins he couldn't.

But, it's the split second slower to get in position that fools you. Same with Iggy this playoff.
Had some more player scored one more goal each and there you are. Brad Marchand is good shooter, quick and fast, he wasn't bad, but he missed more chances than he ever will again.

I will stop now. There's an old saying here and in NA too I think. The more cooks you have, doing the cooking, the bigger mess, no mather how good they are. Now that was too much. I just can't stop thinking of two waisted Cups
Now time to concentrate on other stuff and the draft.

Last edited:

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
People want to let a 30 goal scorer not play for the team this season while his bonuses are still part of the cap hit, to solve the cap problem by finding another 30 goal scorer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad