Iggy: Best To Move On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I was thinking the other day, that if Iginla leaves, we have a fair amount of competitors for that 3rd line RW slot. Here are the top contenders, from top to bottom:

Ferlin
Fraser
Caron
Johnson
Griffith
Florek
Knight

I suppose Spooner and Khokhlachev can be included, although the organization views them as centers.

I think we will need to supplement at the trade deadline, but RW by committee for the first 60 games would make a great development tool for these prospects.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
That article makes it look like hes gone.

If he wanted to stay, and the club wanted him back, both of which were publically stated, it shouldn't have been an issue.

Trade his rights.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I confused.

That article was written prior to any news about today's meeting between Iggy's agent and Chia, right?

David Krejci*

So....regular season Iggy was a good fit, playoffs, not so good for Krejci?? I know you love DK, and I`ve been more than happy to not be on him in the past 2 seasons for floating his was around for half the regular season but to say he played anywhere near the level he is capable of is just something I can`t agree with.

Much how I feel about Marchand, Lucic, Bergeron, the players this team needs to produce to lift them past other teams didn`t. It`s funny, whenever I watch a broadcast, rarely do I hear the broadcasters speak of any player with the reminder to fans of "but 4 of those goals were empty netters", hey, they all count, off legs, skates or whatever, least he was in front of the bloody net to make it happen.

Iggy looked slow, Iggy struggled to keep up at times, so too did 11 other Bruin forwards at any given time. Iggy wasn`t brought in to be the guy here, he was brought in to finish, and for the year, he did just that more often than not. In the playoffs, I thought he was fine, which isn`t necessarily a fantastic grade.

And now you mention Horton?? I`m sorry, we all loved the clutch scoring during the Cup run, but if you think Horton would have been the guy who raised the level of play of that line I`m going to have to disagree. 99% of the time the guy played with no pulse, and since his concussion(s), I`m not so certain he registered a hit.

Krejci played nowhere near his standards, and he said as much below

David Krejci (zero goals in playoffs): “I didn’t do my job in the playoffs.’’
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ffs-painful/PBpcVg9ufjc8n5yd3M7CeJ/story.html

Still think Krejci looked more like Krejci minus the pts?

http://nesn.com/2014/05/david-krejci-im-going-to-train-like-never-before-after-playoff-exit/
I'm not saying that Krejci looked like Krejci, but he looked more like himself than Iginla looked like himself, that's what I'm saying. The stats tell a different story, but the stats are deceiving. There's no question that Krejci was not even close to good enough, though. Fortunately for us, that was the exception to the rule, instead of the rule. He is usually always great in the playoffs and I expect he will be next year. The reason I don't feel that way about Iginla, is because of his age.

In the regular season, yes, Iginla fit in fine. The playoffs are a much more frantic and fast paced style of play, and I feel like his age really hurt him there. Even Recchi found a way to be more effective despite his lack of footspeed in his last few years here. Iginla hasn't found it and I don't want to wait around for him to.

Horton was more than clutch, he was consistent. There wasn't a single series other than the Finals vs Chicago when his arm fell off in OT of Game 1 (which he had a couple of assists in), that he played in that he wasn't a significant contributor. He was amazing for us in the playoffs. I remember Felger and Mazz, guys who both wanted to move on from Horton during the regular season, having a big segment during the playoffs in 2013 about how the Bruins now almost HAVE to re-sign Horton and give him whatever he wants because of how dominant he was.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
http://nesn.com/2014/06/report-jarome-iginlas-agent-to-set-up-meetings-with-teams-other-than-bruins/

Looks like Iginla is looking for a big pay day which the bruins aren't/can't willing to pay

Welcome to the first line Louie

I don't know about that. I think Meehan is just doing his due diligence for his client-he'd be a poor agent if he didn't have other options for Iginla in case things don't work out with the Bruins. It might also be a tactic to pressure Peter Chiarelli.....

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm not saying that Krejci looked like Krejci, but he looked more like himself than Iginla looked like himself, that's what I'm saying. The stats tell a different story, but the stats are deceiving. There's no question that Krejci was not even close to good enough, though. Fortunately for us, that was the exception to the rule, instead of the rule. He is usually always great in the playoffs and I expect he will be next year. The reason I don't feel that way about Iginla, is because of his age.

In the regular season, yes, Iginla fit in fine. The playoffs are a much more frantic and fast paced style of play, and I feel like his age really hurt him there. Even Recchi found a way to be more effective despite his lack of footspeed in his last few years here. Iginla hasn't found it and I don't want to wait around for him to.

Horton was more than clutch, he was consistent. There wasn't a single series other than the Finals vs Chicago when his arm fell off in OT of Game 1 (which he had a couple of assists in), that he played in that he wasn't a significant contributor. He was amazing for us in the playoffs. I remember Felger and Mazz, guys who both wanted to move on from Horton during the regular season, having a big segment during the playoffs in 2013 about how the Bruins now almost HAVE to re-sign Horton and give him whatever he wants because of how dominant he was.

I have the impression that Horton not only left Boston for more $$ he also didn't want to live in Boston anymore. Something about zoos IIRC....

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That is why, regardless of whether Iginla stays or goes, that the Bruins can't have a top-line with Iginla and Lucic together. Their slowness was a serious problem. At least Iginla still showed that he had good hands and got a few nice tipped in deflection goals.

This was my concern. So, if he lands somewhere else, perhaps that's a blessing in disguise.

All eyes on Providence!

David Krejci*

Hmmm...okay.

You're right, I don't remember that. But perhaps you are right.

I still support my overall point however. People rag on Looch and Krejci pretty regularly (including myself...especially for Looch) but that RW spot has never been consistently productive. And, as I said, it's never been held by a "game breaker". Obviously, a truly star calibre player in that spot would make a huge difference. And, I am not someone that's big name obsessed. But, at some point, I think you've got to realize your "first line" needs to be a threat on a constant basis, and at the moment, with Iginla, it's not.

Maybe Iginla sticks around another year, but you've really got to start trying other things there if you are Claude/Chia and soon. Conceding that spot year after year to someone who "works" is not the right thing to do at all in my opinion.
I agree with your overall point about the game breaker. I really thought that Seguin could have been that guy. I said all along, that if Seguin was going to ever become the player we thought we drafted, it was going to be on that line with Lucic and Krejci. He was always at his most dangerous offensively when they put him on that line whenever Horton was out. We even saw it in those OTs in Game 1 when Horton went to the locker room, Seguin had some great chances. Of course there was the game in Montreal in 2013 when they put him up there and he scored 2 goals in the 3rd and they won 2-1, there was Game 6 OT vs Washington, the tic-tac-toe to send Seguin in alone and he scored to force Game 7.

That was my idea after last season. I was open to trading Seguin depending on the return, but my first preference was to give him a year with those two and see what you have, then re-evaluate. Seeing the predicament we're in now with that spot, to me, the Seguin trade looks worse every day, and it has nothing to do with the points he put up in Dallas, everyone with a clue knew he would do that. It has everything to do with the fact that you have kind of a hole in that spot that he could have potentially filled. I don't know about the truths of the off ice stuff, so I can't factor that in, but purely from an on ice personnel standpoint, that's how I feel.

David Krejci*

I have the impression that Horton not only left Boston for more $$ he also didn't want to live in Boston anymore. Something about zoos IIRC....

Yeah I know Horton wanted to leave, there was nothing we could've done to sign him. I'm not blaming Chiarelli or anything like that for not signing him, his hands were cut off from the jump. I wish it was different, though. But there was nothing we could do.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Fluto Shinzawa ‏@GlobeFluto 6m
Peter Chiarelli: Jarome Iginla will speak with other teams. Will keep Bruins in the loop if he gets close with another club.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Not looking good for the Bs keeping Iggy. I would think there are some teams out there that are willing to offer Iggy more than the Bruins want to offer. 61 points last season and a very good shooting percentage -- plenty of teams salivating over that. He may be getting older but he stays in good shape. Perhaps he will be a well-paid mercenary for the next few years. I would love to have him back if he is willing to stay for less money. He now knows the system well and still has hunger for a Cup. It'll be hard to replace his production if he goes. No hard feelings if he leaves. Hockey is a business and he has to do what he thinks best for himself and his family.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I think we can put almost anyone with Krejci and Lucic and they can pot close to 20. Even last year we were all shaking our heads for the longest time when Iginla failed to score with so many glorious scoring chances. If Iggy does go I hope we put someone on that line with a bit of speed, need to integrate that element into our forward ranks.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
If you don't pencil him in at wing, you aren't penciling him with Boston, imo. I don't see him taking over as center on the fourth line, even though it has been suggested. Frankly, I think he will be wearing a different jersey by the end of this weekend and if not then, by the trade deadline. Keeping him is holding him back at this point.

Yup. Yup. Yup, I hope so, but def at some point. True that, and he has good value. If I was Chia I would be talking him up left and right, the kid is a GOOD player - just have to have the center slot he needs. He's ready to go. I would not be giving him away cheap.

Also, if you keep Kelly then you already have a replacement center if someone gets hurt. I don't see a place for Spooner to make the team next year. I don't see them letting Krejci or Soderberg walk away; I don't see him getting a shot as a 4th line center in two seasons. I'm all for exploring trades involving him as a piece.

Anyone who thinks this administration would have Spooner center the fourth line has not been paying attention to how things are done around here.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Yeah I know Horton wanted to leave, there was nothing we could've done to sign him. I'm not blaming Chiarelli or anything like that for not signing him, his hands were cut off from the jump. I wish it was different, though. But there was nothing we could do.

It's not easy money to play in Boston. There are plenty of players that know that (Kessel, etc.). You have to make a commitment to an all-around game to be here. Horton got his championship, and was then more focused on lifestyle than busting his hump everyday.

That's cool. Thanks for everything.

Sometimes people forget this though, there are some players (mostly sought-after scoring types) who are just not going to fit here - and thus, are not an option. You gotta work, and you gotta be responsible to be a Bruin under Chia/Clode.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
This is where Chia made an error. He should have tried to flip Iggy and Mez's rights an get something in return. Poor management of assets.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If Iggy leaves over money he's a fool. He's made 78 million and whether after this year he has made 80 or 83 million means nothing. Would love to be in the Iginla living room when the Bs win the Cup and Iggy's been home for a few weeks. He's gambling with more than money.

81ragnaH

May 29, 2007
Lynn, MA
Salary cap should be announced some time today. That's probably (part of) why he hasn't been signed yet. Let's hope it's a bit higher than projected!

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I'm going to hold of on Iggy bashing until I see some numbers. For all we know, Iggy wants a reasonable deal, but Chia won't budge because he has to consider some of our other important players' futures (Boychuk, Smith, Krug, etc.). And maybe Iggy is turned off by being offered short money when a guy like Chris Kelly is making bank to essentially do nothing.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
In theory, cap numbers are coming out today. Will it be higher than 71 million? I'm doubting it will be.

Bruins are in a tough spot. Without moving multiple assets there's not a ton they can do.

Would I like to retain a 30 goal scorer who wants to win the cup? For sure. Do I think we have a better internal option? Cloudy, ask again later.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm going to hold of on Iggy bashing until I see some numbers. For all we know, Iggy wants a reasonable deal, but Chia won't budge because he has to consider some of our other important players' futures (Boychuk, Smith, Krug, etc.). And maybe Iggy is turned off by being offered short money when a guy like Chris Kelly is making bank to essentially do nothing.

As Rex Ryan once said and for all we know he could have been talking about Chris Kelly 'all the guy does is win' 60-19-2 when in lineup last 2 years. Mercy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad