Iggy: Best To Move On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I love Iginla.
Would like to see him come back.
But I just don't think it'll get done for cap reasons.

Put LE21 in his spot.
Fill out the roster with Providence kids.

Keep some cap room for a deadline day wing upgrade.

Scrape into the playoffs - the new playoff format make finishing top of the conference/league much less valuable.

not even sure the old format made finishing atop the conference a benefit.

Not sure I mess with the Sods/Loui chemistry that seemed to be forming post Olympics

jmeehan1985

Jan 3, 2012
I think we shouldn't sign Iginla and make a trade for a younger forward that if we need to take back some salary it would still work. As much as I like Boychuk he's a prefect candidate to get a good return. I would try calling Ottawa and maybe getting Ryan in a package or someone similar to his style who can put the puck in the net. I think we need another scoring forward with some Size and speed.

Rebel Bruin

Jan 7, 2014
Dublin
I think we shouldn't sign Iginla and make a trade for a younger forward that if we need to take back some salary it would still work. As much as I like Boychuk he's a prefect candidate to get a good return. I would try calling Ottawa and maybe getting Ryan in a package or someone similar to his style who can put the puck in the net. I think we need another scoring forward with some Size and speed.

Ryan has one year left on his deal I think?

Could be a great rental at the deadline if the Senators are out of it, as I don't think he'll stay in Ottawa.

I'm not sure the Bruins would have the cap room to then go and re-sign him, but would be a great swing for the fences rental.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Horton was amazing in the playoffs last year until his shoulder fell off in OT of Game 1 of the Finals. People forget so easily, he was amazing last year.

Hmmm...okay.

You're right, I don't remember that. But perhaps you are right.

I still support my overall point however. People rag on Looch and Krejci pretty regularly (including myself...especially for Looch) but that RW spot has never been consistently productive. And, as I said, it's never been held by a "game breaker". Obviously, a truly star calibre player in that spot would make a huge difference. And, I am not someone that's big name obsessed. But, at some point, I think you've got to realize your "first line" needs to be a threat on a constant basis, and at the moment, with Iginla, it's not.

Maybe Iginla sticks around another year, but you've really got to start trying other things there if you are Claude/Chia and soon. Conceding that spot year after year to someone who "works" is not the right thing to do at all in my opinion.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Feel free to do so, I respectfully disagree, and do I rely heavily on stat sheets?? Nope, don`t make it sound like I said Iggy was great, best forward out there, I said he was fine, the bad news, fine was still better than his much younger linemates, one who has shown an ability to bring "it" come playoff time, and he didn`t.

Whether your a stat watcher or not, Krejci and his 4 assists were a joke and I`m open to hear you defend him, Bergy might have looked good too, but, in a team game as you like to say, doesn`t matter if ya look good, it`s all about results, and Iggy was far down on my list of "problems" in the playoffs

From a player evaluation standpoint...yes it does matter if you "look good". If the two other guys on your line aren't doing ****...which they weren't...you are obviously not going to put up stats. Bergeron was bringing it on a nightly basis and he was the only one I think you can say that for. I've heard Habs fans, even the ones who aren't French, say that Bergeron was easily our best player the duration of that series.

IMO, for whatever reason, people have lowered their expectations of the first line RW, Iginla. He's old, he's there for his experience blah, blah, blah...how about he is the first line right wing and he should be held to the exact same standard as Lucic and Krejci. There is a severe dropoff in critcism from K&L to I and I really don't understand it. It's almost as if we've seen and know Looch and DK better so it's easier to criticize their games.

Iginla may have potted 30 throughout this season, but I totally called him being a non-factor in the PO's...sorry to toot my own horn there. Krejci and Looch weren't doing **** either (not sure where you got that I was defending Krejci...?) but Iginla does not add much at all, if anything, to the threat of that line. And yes, I view that as a problem.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Here's what's confusing me: Just right after the Montreal series, the one word I consistently heard around here was "speed" but how does Iggy bring that in any way? Especially when you consider that he's holding down a top spot on the first line, where you would think a player with lethal efficiency, scoring-wise, belongs. Iggy is getting old, and I didn't see any speed from him, even in the regular season. What is the point in bogging this team down with another older forward who's going to want to be paid more than he (probably) deserves? Just for another thirty goals in the regular season?

No thanks. I like Iggy as much as the next man, but the experiment failed where it mattered, in the post-season. Bring in the new blood, whoever that might be.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Per my rotoworld app: Iggy's agent is meeting with Chia today.

I'm guessing that today's meeting will play a large role in how Chia approaches the weekend.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Per my rotoworld app: Iggy's agent is meeting with Chia today

Reported in today's Herald. The Bruins are better with him though he singlehandedly blew the series against Montreal with 6 posts and 1 missed open net. Then again there were 10 other posts and 2 open nets missed.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Let's not forget that Iggy suffered a "lower body injury" going into the playoffs. His wheels looked quite hampered (cutting/quickness). The guy is still very good. He is not just along for the ride. He is consistent. And then there is the fact that he led us in scoring. I don't care how, when or why he scored his goals.

If you are Chia you make this deal happen! Let's get it done!

MOOKER411

Nov 13, 2009
KERROBERT, SASK
First off the Bruins lost due to being an overall slow team. There wasn't a one or two players scenerio that blew anything. It was lost as a whole.

Having just said that the team is slow it is going to sound weird that I want to keep Iginla as he isn't exactly the posterboy for speed but the fact is the KIL line as a group is our slowest line however moving Iggy to play with Bergy and Marchand might suit him better. Marchand obviously has the speed and Iggy can help open things up for Bergy an Marchand who are very effective together. Iggy is still a 30 goal guy. Look at Jagr for cripe sakes and he is 42 ! Iggy has plenty left in the tank.
Obviously we would then need a replacement on the first line and that ladies and gentlemen IS going to require a trade. That is why people are mentioning a guy like Perron from Edmonton. Basically a Marchand type guy who can add the speed for Krejci and Lucic. Same mold as what a line of Marchand, Bergy and Iggy would offer.
Can be accomplished by moving a prospect or two or maybe Boychuk or Loui Ericksson or one of those guys and a prospect but would be worth it. That would get Perron then Peter Chiarelli would have to move a player or two in a salary dump scenerio such as Kelly, Caron or McQuaid. I am not saying both Boychuk and McQuaid just that I beleive in one way shape or form one of them will be gone. Going to get interesting.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
It is said that the legs go first and then the rest of the body follows.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
If Iggy gets a nice cap deal, how can you not want him back?

The way people talk, they make it seem like he was the main reason we lost!

WE're trying to win the cup; you can't plug too many rookies into this lineup.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Iginla may be slowing down but clearly can still produce. One of the few 20+ goal scorers who was able to carry that into the playoffs. We can add some speed with some of the younger guys who should get a chance to play this year (Spooner, etc.)

A pricey multi year contract we can't afford. But if Iggy's willing to keep it reasonable to stay in Boston I think you have to consider it. It will be a big loss to lose his production, regardless of how satisfied you are with his overall play.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It is said that the legs go first and then the rest of the body follows.

I don't know about that,I think it's the communication between mind and body,the instinct and reflex. Injuries and an aging body will contribute to decline but I think it's the innate ability that concurrently wanes.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
5. Jarome Iginla
Age on July 1: 37
Team: Boston Bruins
Position: Right wing
2013-14 cap hit: $6 million
Stay or go? Stay
Why he’ll get paid: Iginla tied Patrice Bergeron as the Bruins’ leading goal scorer this year and is still in the midst of a streak of 12 consecutive 30-goal seasons when the NHL gives us a schedule longer than 48 games. And as last summer’s one-year contract proved, Iginla is willing to sign cap-friendly, bonus-heavy deals.
Latest dirt: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli wants him back. “He’s a veteran guy, he plays our brand of hockey and he fits in seamlessly with that first line. He’s been everything we thought he’d be — everything and more,” Chiarelli said during the team’s postmortem. Plus, Don Cherry says Iginla is staying put. Rumour has it, Iggy and the Bruins are looking at a two-year pact this time instead of one. And CSNNE.com reported on June 12 that the Bruins’ other prospective free agents are in a holding pattern while Chiarelli & Co. focus on getting an Iginla deal done. Chiarelli told local reporters on June 23 that he is still trying to re-sign Iginla, but the Boston Herald reported that the Detroit Red Wings “are believed to have interest in Iginla.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...nek-marian-gaborik-matt-moulson-paul-stastny/

If Grapes says hes staying hes staying

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Here's what's confusing me: Just right after the Montreal series, the one word I consistently heard around here was "speed" but how does Iggy bring that in any way? Especially when you consider that he's holding down a top spot on the first line, where you would think a player with lethal efficiency, scoring-wise, belongs. Iggy is getting old, and I didn't see any speed from him, even in the regular season. What is the point in bogging this team down with another older forward who's going to want to be paid more than he (probably) deserves? Just for another thirty goals in the regular season?

No thanks. I like Iggy as much as the next man, but the experiment failed where it mattered, in the post-season. Bring in the new blood, whoever that might be.

This won't be popular around here, but this is really how I feel too. Key phrase is "whoever it might be".

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

That is why, regardless of whether Iginla stays or goes, that the Bruins can't have a top-line with Iginla and Lucic together. Their slowness was a serious problem. At least Iginla still showed that he had good hands and got a few nice tipped in deflection goals.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Now, would Iginla prefer Boston or Detroit at this point in his career? I don't see Detroit suddenly becoming a better potential contender than the Bruins currently are.

Detroit Is a bigger payday, and that's all that matters for Mr Long Summer Iginla.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad