If you're Matthews and Marner's agent it would be negligent not to advise them to become RFA's

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean by "conceded" unless you mean conceited. In that case, perhaps I am confident enough that both won't look options elsewhere when they are committing to this team in the long-run. I mean, not many young players are gifted the opportunity to play with other young players.

You said they wouldn't be happier anywhere else

You don't know that and people tend think the grass is greener on the other side anyways

I'm sure they wouldn't hate playing for another top nhl team either

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kypreos should dress up as an offersheet for Halloween. He would be scary only to little kids.

He is now the Heel of sportsnet, that’s his role there.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
You said they wouldn't be happier anywhere else

You don't know that and people tend think the grass is greener on the other side anyways

I'm sure they wouldn't hate playing for another top nhl team either
I never said anything about happiness. I said I don't think they are the type of people to think elsewhere first when they are committed to this team in the long-run that also happen to be at the top of the standings. That is what I mean when I say they like Toronto more. Has Matthews and Marner ever expressed playing for another team? No, it has not happened and neither will they sign an offer sheet from another team. It's asinine to think otherwise.

Reactions: Peggy

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Regardless of offer sheets, I am excited for when the Leafs have $30M - $35M of cap space tied up in just three forwards (not including Nylander if they manage to sign him) and end up back in purgatory. Let's just hope they don't win a cup before that happens....

I assume you missed the Friedman article where he said that the last few cup winners had around 35-45% of the cap on their 4 highest paid players when they won the cup? That's very realistic to be well in the middle of that with all three as soon as next season if the cap goes up another 2M.

They will sign the core. That core is a playoff team. It is about if they can put good cheap depth around them.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Man can you imagine where Dahlen and Pettersson are going to sign when they get to get their max contract from an offer sheet. I mean every young player will leave to go to different teams.

Reactions: rubous

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
lol, the desperation to see the Leafs fail is embarrassing.

Matthews will be the easiest signing of the Leafs' young players. He'll get 11-12M. Anyone thinking he's going to get 14M+ is delusional or just trying to bait others. As for him not wanting to be in Toronto, no other market offers him the endorsement opportunities that Toronto does. Not to mention, he's already stated how much he wants to win in Toronto because of how good a hockey market it is.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
There's very little to be scared about. Offer sheets are dead and we have the cap space to keep both Matthews and Marner, even if we have to lose Gards and trade Nylander if he's unwilling to sign for a reasonable cap hit.

I don't know why leafs think they can afford everyone
Not even the jets can afford everyone without putting people on bridge deals
And the jets don't have anyone signed over 8.5 mil

If both players score ppg you're paying big money

Reactions: dukeofjive

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I know! what will they do!
Right? Why even have a draft anymore with the landscape the way it is? It's going to be so hard to keep track of where everyone is playing each year as every young player gets a new offer sheet every couple of years.

Reactions: rubous

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Remmeber how people whine about Leafs bias?

Everyday, Ferraro, Maclean and Kypreos preach about how absolutely dire our situation is. They spent tons of time telling us to that Laine might have been the better pick and better player (don't hear that so far this year)...it's endless negativity.

No idea how people could think we are treated favourably. These guys know they will get clicks and shares if they are controversial about the Leafs, and that's always accomplished by revving up the fear or instigating with a bad hot take.

The media around here is a curse, not a blessing.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't know why leafs think they can afford everyone
Not even the jets can afford everyone without putting people on bridge deals
And the jets don't have anyone signed over 8.5 mil

If both players score ppg you're paying big money

We pay big money for really good players. Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Laine will also get big money. Connor will get big money. Boeser will get big money. EP will get big money.

What's the problem? We have elite players. I will gladly pay Mitch and Matthews rather than line up a boring ass, mediocre team like I've had to watch in the past.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Everyday, Ferraro, Maclean and Kypreos preach about how absolutely dire our situation is. They spent tons of time telling us to that Laine might have been the better pick and better player (don't hear that so far this year)...it's endless negativity.

No idea how people could think we are treated favourably. These guys know they will get clicks and shares if they are controversial about the Leafs, and that's always accomplished by revving up the fear or instigating with a bad hot take.

It's only a curse if you care about it. The Leafs themselves appear quite insulated from it as well so I'm not worried about it being a distraction. There will always be negative media about the Leafs just like there is with any large fanbased team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Ferraro said the Leafs will score a million PP goals.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
We pay big money for really good players. Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Laine will also get big money. Connor will get big money. Boeser will get big money. EP will get big money.

What's the problem? We have elite players. I will gladly pay Mitch and Matthews rather than line up a boring ass, mediocre team like I've had to watch in the past.

There's a called a salary cap

You pay everyone big money and you'll no longer have that elite team
It's called depth

Laine will get big money and that's an issue for the jets
I don't think Laine is worth anything more than 7 atm
If you can't even scored more points than your yearly salary you shouldn't be getting top dollar under a low salary cap league

John Tavares 11 mil
Matthews 10 mil
Marner 7 to 9 mill

That's 30 million between 3 players
Is everyone else grtting paid 2 million?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
There's a called a salary cap

You pay everyone big money and you'll no longer have that elite team
It's called depth

Laine will get big money and that's an issue for the jets
I don't think Laine is worth anything more than 7 atm
If you can't even scored more points than your yearly salary you shouldn't be getting top dollar under a low salary cap league

I'd be impressed in Laine scored 7 million points, to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad