If you're Matthews and Marner's agent it would be negligent not to advise them to become RFA's

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I highly doubt either get a offer sheet.....that being said if I was either AM & Marner no chance I sign before next September and I buy some insurance for myself this year in case I get a career ending injury (highly doubtful). Then I let it rain money next fall.

Fans all said the same thing about Trouba last two contracts......he’s going to get offer sheet.....never happened either time

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Sure they do. Just dip in to the revenue sharing pool that Toronto is feeding.

Would be mildly amusing seeing Arizona buy Matthews with Toronto’s money.

That aside, I can’t see it for Marner. Matthews though who knows.
Even with revenue sharing they're still an extreme budget team. They do not have the money.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
All Leafs have to do is trade NYlander and get a great return *if* that is even needed.
What's the big deal?
What will Winnipeg and Tampa do?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I have never seen so much **** about offer sheets (there's a reason they never get done) until the elite Leafs youngsters hit the scene.

Holy sweet god you people will grasp at anything.
Im sure you posted plenty about McDavid being offersheeted.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The NHL's taboo on offersheets wasn't subverted for McDavid, so the GMs position on them is pretty clear. A moratorium on offer sheets benefits GMs collectively, as it removes bargaining power from every RFA. I don't think we'll see one under this CBA.

Plus, Matthews has made it pretty clear he wants to be here. Blah blah pajama boy blah blah, fact of the matter is that no team can make a holistic, competitive enough offer to reasonably pull Matthews away from a team he owns all the keys to and which has the cap space to pay him his market value.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Regardless of offer sheets, I am excited for when the Leafs have $30M - $35M of cap space tied up in just three forwards (not including Nylander if they manage to sign him) and end up back in purgatory. Let's just hope they don't win a cup before that happens....

Reactions: NeelyWasAWarrior

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd at least humour the idea of a team stepping up with a 14-15 million dollar AAV offer, if it weren't teams that lose 14-15 million/year being bandied about. These guys aren't leaving the Leafs so they can cash NSF cheques for organisations that might not even be in their current location at the end of the deal.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
That's really conceded to think that
I'm not sure what you mean by "conceded" unless you mean conceited. In that case, perhaps I am confident enough that both won't look options elsewhere when they are committing to this team in the long-run. I mean, not many young players are gifted the opportunity to play with other young players.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Regardless of offer sheets, I am excited for when the Leafs have $30M - $35M of cap space tied up in just three forwards (not including Nylander if they manage to sign him) and end up back in purgatory. Let's just hope they don't win a cup before that happens....
Leafs fans are excited for that too! Good times ahead!

We'd love to win a cup asap though

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs are NOT the one, they have more money than you and if you offer sheet them you WILL regret it

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Idk if that's true at all... if the leafs are trying to get you to take a discount, and a team comes up and offers your 2-4 million a more a season.... you prob at least going to put some thought into that. Specially if said team looks like they have a solid foundation to be a contender.

I doubt either leave(ultimately I think nylander is moved for defensive help), and I think they'll sign pretty fair contracts Matthews 11.5-12 range, marner 8-9 range. But to think they wouldn't consider it is a bit crazy, assuming there is a fairly large difference in what the leafs are offering, and the team offering is building a solid team.

Negative.

There is no other market they can make more endorsement money in vs where they are which will not only offset the difference but add to it in favour of TO.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The problem with offer sheets is that only bad teams have cap space. Therefore, unless Matthews and Marner want to play on some irrelevant team, they won't even consider an offer sheet.

And that's why Nylander's camp has said that they won't consider an offer sheet either.

Reactions: GrizzLeaf

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Negative.

There is no other market they can make more endorsement money in vs where they are which will not only offset the difference but add to it in favour of TO.

If Matthews stays in Toronto, he's in line to make Crosby/McDavid dollars in endorsements. Around $5-6 million.

Marner, as a homegrown superstar, will also end up in the $4 million range if he stays in Toronto.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
We'll see. I need to see more. They haven't really had a true franchise guy like Matthews since the cap was put in place. Salary cap management is a slippery slope. I guess you can say this conversation is to be continued...
Dude... did you see the state of the Leafs when Shanny took over? Good god, the speed and efficiency of the culture change and talent turnover in the organization is something to behold. One of the most efficient rebuilds in hockey history. We went from a laughing stock, to totally stocked in just 3 years. Dead last, to cup contenders... and it's sustainable for a very long time.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Dude... did you see the state of the Leafs when Shanny took over? Good god, the speed and efficiency of the culture change and talent turnover in the organization is something to behold. One of the most efficient rebuilds in hockey history. We went from a laughing stock, to totally stocked in just 3 years. Dead last, to cup contenders... and it's sustainable for a very long time.

I've seen quite a few organizations in all major sports transform their team only to not win anything. Time will tell.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad