Speculation: If you were Kyle Dubas, what moves are you making for the Leafs at the TDL?

jjniner

Feb 28, 2016
I guess the Leafs fans think they can out score teams and win playoff games 7-6. Any Toronto fan who is not looking to improve the D, goalie position AND get a shut down center iceman, is highly delusiona.

Sorry, delusional

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If I was Dubas, I would ensure that all GM’s knew they were in on almost every player to drive prices up - and the wait until the last minute to acquire bottom 6 forward help. Especially at 3C.

I think it’s a buyer’s market. Sure, some of the top guys will go for a haul. However, I do think the number of aggressive “buyers” willing to part with huge packages is wildly over hoped for.

Just my two cents.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
yes. It's on the main board.

I just don't understand why it has to be?

Keep the Leafs random trade deadline talk on the Leafs board. Or at the very least the trade forums.

Anywho,
Have fun. Gotta keep that Leaf quota on the front page so no one forgets about them.

*Edit, apparently this is on the trade forums. Thought it was on the main ones last night.
Again why are you here? Sure seems like you give a shit

• Haha
Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
With rosters as currently constructed, I don’t see Toronto beating Tampa, let alone Tampa & Boston back to back. In terms of adds, the key thing is to avoid subtraction by addition. Basically, don’t trade for bad players and then try to force them into your lineup to justify the trade.

Looking at you Florida with Chiarot

EDIT: Couple of the big names this year that fit that are Edmundson & Bonino

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I guess the Leafs fans think they can out score teams and win playoff games 7-6. Any Toronto fan who is not looking to improve the D, goalie position AND get a shut down center iceman, is highly delusiona.

Sorry, delusional

Don't watch the Leafs much this year, do you?

GA/GP
6. Toronto
7. Carolina
8 NYI

Goalies:
.898 (10 games from the fourth string)

Kampf is a good shut down C.

Scoring 3C and top 6 W are the most important.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020

Sorry, delusional
They’re sixth in the league in goals allowed. That narrative about being bad defensively is washed.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There are so many good forward rentals available now for 2nd or 3rd rounders. Go get Tyler Bertuzzi and Max Domi. And Sam Lafferty. You want 4 scoring lines.

Last playoffs the Leafs bottom six went just about scoreless.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
There are so many good forward rentals available now for 2nd or 3rd rounders. Go get Tyler Bertuzzi and Max Domi. And Sam Lafferty. You want 4 scoring lines.

Last playoffs the Leafs bottom six went just about scoreless.

I agree with this, but need at least one C coming back to push Kampf to 4C, so Domi would work.

They need a significant upgrade in the top 6. It’s very unbalanced when Mathew’s is out. I would’ve went for Tarasenko.

Most teams are unbalanced when their best player is out.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
If they fail this year, it’s Keefe that has to go. He’s been good but I think Trotz is a better option and is currently unemployed.

Dubas iced a team that had 115 points last year. The team is clearly good, but there’s a mental hurdle for the star players that no GM can undo. That’s a coach’s job.

Also, if you let Dubas go, you’ll have to hit up all the canned GMs, forget why they were canned and hire one of them. Man, the earth wouldn’t be in as much trouble if we recycled as much as the NHL does.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
No. If Buffalo's 1st is so valuable why would they use it? This year is a deeper draft (according to many analysts). Don't you think that all this is an overpayment just for the sake of an argument.

Also are you sure all those names are better than Knies? For the sake of this arms race vs. your post I offer Marner and Toronto's 1st to outbid everyone!
1st bolded. Because they dont exactly need more prospects. They're a good young team already that could sneak into the playoffs this year. Meier fits what they need almost perfectly.

2nd bolded. Yes, all of those prospects are quite a bit better then Knies. For the sake of this post if Buffalo made Dahlin available, he's literally more valuable then any single asset Toronto has(Including Matthews as a UFA in 1.5 years). But we both know neither team is moving a core player. In terms of prospects and draft picks Buffalo simply has the far better prospect pool and the better draft picks.

Teams don't just outbid each other for fun, teams have limits, what is this nonsense?

The Leafs have better roster players than Buffalo, they can just outbid them with roster players..... this comment is just as silly.

Uhh, yes they do? Literally all the time. Sure they have limits, but teams outbid each other for the players they've targeted quite literally for every trade.

Also the 2nd part is flat out not true. Rasmus Dahlin is the single most valuable asset across either of those teams including Matthews.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Uhh, yes they do? Literally all the time. Sure they have limits, but teams outbid each other for the players they've targeted quite literally for every trade.

Also the 2nd part is flat out not true. Rasmus Dahlin is the single most valuable asset across either of those teams including Matthews.

I won't address your terrible player valuation.

I just said teams don't outbid each other for fun, they have limits, and you agree, thank you.

We both agree the Leafs can outbid teams because other teams may not be willing to pay the price, I am glad we can find common ground.

The team is built to win now, so I would trade the 1st and Knies for an upgrade at forward or d. Dubas is an idiot if he doesn't do it.

For non-rentals, sure. Anyone suggesting pulling a Florida for one run is dumb.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Bookmarked for the end of the first round
*checks standings* Senators on pace to miss the playoffs again

*checks playoff history* Leafs have gone 18 consecutive years without 1 playoff round win which included the worse seeded playoff teams Columbus in a bo5 and Montreal

*checks standings again* Leafs are still a top 5 team

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
1st bolded. Because they dont exactly need more prospects. They're a good young team already that could sneak into the playoffs this year. Meier fits what they need almost perfectly.

2nd bolded. Yes, all of those prospects are quite a bit better then Knies. For the sake of this post if Buffalo made Dahlin available, he's literally more valuable then any single asset Toronto has(Including Matthews as a UFA in 1.5 years). But we both know neither team is moving a core player. In terms of prospects and draft picks Buffalo simply has the far better prospect pool and the better draft picks.

Well now this is quite the statement.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I doubt he trades a 1st since he'll need that to dump Murray is the summer just like he used a 1st to dump Mzarek last year .

Knies he's counting on to play somewhere in the lineup later in this year , so without our 2nd that leaves us with whatever stud we can get for a pkg of Abruzzese/SDA-Big Mac Holliwell and the 3rd we have from Ottawa .
So he’s shopping in the “Matt Nieto” types isle.

So how about Oskar Sundqvist for a 3rd + SDA. That’s your big move Dubas. Really go for broke.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotpaws

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Henrique for a 3c would be a good add.
Maybe a player like Jeanott ? Beef up the scoring ability of the bottom 6 without sacrificing physicality and defensive ability .

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Sorry, delusional
It's not really Leaf Fans. It's more dealing with what Dubas has designed.

Not delusional. This team hasn't won anything, and I think Dubas still thinks he doesn't need certain essentials.

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Connor Murphy (RHD) to pair with Rielly.. Rielly has been an absolute train wreck defensively and it looks to be hurting his offense. Get a partner who could truly let him flourish. Big body who can take the rugged going, blocks shots and for all the bad teams he played on still excels on the defensive end. Will be cheaper then Chychrun and a better option the McCabe. Signed for 3 more years at $4.4 and is an ideal Muzzin replacement.

Adam Henrique (3C) … pay a little more to have Anahiem retain. Has deep run playoff experience and has been excellent for Anahiem this year. Could play up the lineup if needed.

Another option for 3C tagert could be Sam Bennett. If Florida has fallen right out of it, could be a piece to pry away. They mortgaged all relevant picks & are pressed to the cap. Would help add scoring to the 3rd line and brings an element of toughness. Shedding cap to retool could benefit FLA moving forward.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
That decision might have been removed from him by higher powers.
This is already 5 pages. I’ve read 1.
My comment though is more of a general nature.
If Dubas is not permitted to make the moves he wants to make that he feels will improve the team how is it his fault if they falter?
If you don’t trust him to do the job fire him now. If you trust him let him do his best.
It is said he has something to prove before he can get a new contract but how can he prove anything with his hands tied behind his back?

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
Nothing or depth pieces. This window is a lot longer than people care to admit, at least 7 more years. The team is good enough they just have to want it.
So they are halfway through their window without winning a single round in the playoffs… awesome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad