Speculation: If you were Kyle Dubas, what moves are you making for the Leafs at the TDL?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Posting here as I was hoping for a bigger discussion on the correct move so we can come back and look at it later on and see. I am looking for what moves you would make.

Ideally posts are more than just "Go get the best at this position" and more "I'd get player x".

Toronto is basically locked into playing Tampa in round 1. So I think this should be kept in mind for what moves they should make. It is also safe to assume if he is not moved, Knies will join the team in a depth role and provide some grit in the bottom 6.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
That decision might have been removed from him by higher powers.

I find that hard to believe. I don't think the Org would keep a lame duck GM with no power to do anything in such a critical year for the franchise. Just fire him and bring in a guy to win some games and retain Auston Matthews and get it over with then. They aren't a poverty franchise they can afford a few months of a contract.

Dubas has always been a very conservative GM. He also values a pipeline of future players keeping the team deep without needing to overpaying the depth to stay. He seems to prioritize a long contention window over all in. I don't really agree with it, but I truly think if he does very little it was his own choice because of his philosophy.

Reactions: Space umpire

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Toews.

Matthews
Tavares
Toews

Down the middle would be sick for them. Probably wouldn't cost too much even with the retention. Less than Meier anyway

Reactions: Canadienna

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know Dubas said he wouldn't trade Knies or their 1st round pick for a rental player.

However, that doesn't mean he wouldn't consider trading their 1st round pick or other prospects for a player with term left on their contract, if he thinks they could help them in the playoffs. In the 2018-19 season he traded their 1st round pick that year along with Sean Durzi and Carl Grundstorm to Los Angeles for Jake Muzzin, who had 2 years left on his previous contract at that time.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
No reason for him to go all in desperation mode. He'd need the backing of Shanahan to spend a lot anyway.

He's easily got another GM job lined up if Toronto were to idiotically fire him.

Really weird that he catches the flak rather than the 3 stars failing to pull the Leafs through a single series.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Other than some depth moves, there really isn't anything they need to break the bank for. Get some scoring depth and that should help a lot.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
See what it would take to get Coltan Parayko from Blues. Leafs can score a hard hitting top pairing RHD would push everyone down and give the Leafs a much deeper defense. Leafs have all the talent it's mental really for them having a guy that's gone all the way and won would be someone that can build their confidence in playoffs.

I mean Leafs have 2 RD better than him already. You are wrong as well Leafs do not have scoring

Reactions: TS Quint

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Leafs are in on Luke Schenn.

Not sure what Calgary are planning on doing here but I can also see Tyler Toffoli as a good fit. He brings scoring, on a good cap hit and with another year left on his deal.

A little Canucks heavy perhaps!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I doubt he trades a 1st since he'll need that to dump Murray is the summer just like he used a 1st to dump Mzarek last year .

Knies he's counting on to play somewhere in the lineup later in this year , so without our 2nd that leaves us with whatever stud we can get for a pkg of Abruzzese/SDA-Big Mac Holliwell and the 3rd we have from Ottawa .

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I doubt he trades a 1st since he'll need that to dump Murray is the summer just like he used a 1st to dump Mzarek last year .

Knies he's counting on to play somewhere in the lineup later in this year , so without our 2nd that leaves us with whatever stud we can get for a pkg of Abruzzese/SDA-Big Mac Holliwell and the 3rd we have from Ottawa .
If Toronto is in a position to where they're going to need a 1st round pick to dump Murray in the summer... It wont be Dubas as the GM. The injuries are a problem with Murray but when he's been healthy he's been good enough that he's not going to cost that kind of an asset to dump and more likely is that Toronto would simply keep him right now.

So if something is going to happen between now and July that would require the Leafs to dump Murray with a 1st, its going to be substantially bad enough that Dubas will be fired before it reaches that point.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Their number one need is another impact forward, something more pressing than an additional defenseman, but I do think they need the latter as well. As to who gets traded for those things, all depends on acquisition cost. You can only trade the first once, same with Knies or anyone else. So what goes out in one trade obviously impacts what you can do in terms of acquiring an additional piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad