Sign very short term deals with heart vets that can skate

Qualify all remaining rfas

Buy out Lucic

Remove C from Mcdavid
And then immediately get fired.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is a huge complicated process obviously, but the first thing you have to do is identify which slugs aren't coming back next year (and those who probably are, even if you don't want them to).

Keep - Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Klefbom, Nurse, Bouchard

Available, but not desperate to move - 1st round pick, Larsson, Kassian, Khaira, Sekera, most prospects, Pulujarvi, Gagner, Cave, Currie, Gambardella

Trade Bait (some are likely untradeable or negative value) - Lucic, Russell, Manning

Pack your **** (Free agents and guys who can and should be traded) - Benning, Brodziak, Gravel, Petrovic, Rattie, Reider

That leaves us looking for (at least) 3 top six wingers, a top pair (preferably right shot) defenseman, possibly a bottom defense pair, a 3C, and probably two bottom six wingers, and probably around 8 - 10 million to get it all with. That's awful, and quite honestly, its impossible if we can't trade Lucic and Russell.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm trying to trade 3 players. Lucic, Sekera, and Manning. Lucic is a killer, because you can't afford to buy him out. I don't know how many picks it takes, maybe a couple of 2nds, to move him to Ottawa, but I get him out of the Oiltown to get some cap space. Then I use some of it on Ferland. Sekera earns too much to be a top 4 d-man. And is completely unreliable to stay healthy. The Manning trade made no sense then or now.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Ferland is my top line. Ferland can score 30 with those 2.
I find a free agent to complement Puljaarvi-Nuge
Benson-Marody might form a decent 3rd line with a vet like Gagner.
Khaira and Kassian are decent 4th liners, bringing some of the same kind of momentum as the Isles grinders do. Finding a 4th line centre who can compete with Brodziak and Cave would be a goal.

Defense get younger
Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Jones
Russell-E. Bear
Benning, with a couple of the Swedes in their pipeline competing for spots.

I'd get a vet who can play 40-50. Cam Ward at the end of his career seems like a good fit.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
First and foremost.. I would gut the place, management wise.

- Find a way out of Lucic, Russell, Koskianen and Sekera's contract, if that means including Jesse and a some high picks, then so be it.

- McJesus, Drai, RNH, Nurse, Klefbom I wouldn't move. But literally everybody else can go. But open to moving anybody outside of Drai/McJesus.

- Move out/don't re-sign Gagner, Reider, and a lot of their random crap players.

- Pursue Ferland, Varlamov, Nyqvist, Stralman, Nelson, Dzingel, Donskoi. Try to add a top 4D somehow. Move Draisaitl back to centre.

- Let Hitchcock go and pursue Vigneault, maybe Sutter if he were willing.

Go into 2019/2020 with...

Ferland-McDavid-RNH
Dzingel-Draisaitl-Kassian
Khaira-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx

(Don't know enough about them to say)

Nurse-Klefbom
Larsson-xx
Bouchard-xx

Varlamov
McElhinney/Johnson/Nilsson

Not a great defense but Varly has oddly enough played great when he's peppered with a huge amount of shots. Only question with him is his longevity.

Oilers are such a shit show on the ice, let alone off the ice... Poor bastards.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
....i would trade McDavid and bunch of others, fire the coaching staff, get rid of the old boys club

1. Make a short term, 3 year plan: build a team that wins games, not titles (division, conference, SC)
because the first thing the Oilers need, is a winning culture back.

Create a team that qualifies to the post season (each season) , don't try to win the Cup, just keep a winning record.
Don't try to create a contender team from the get go

Acquire quality veteran players and acquire a great regular season coach who can keep you above the surface.
score in the range of 90-99 points each season.

2. Make a long term, 6 year plan: draft smart (through 1st rounds 15-30 picks, 2 & 3rd round picks and later round picks)
develop prospects smartly & patiently towards NHL.

Now that you have the basis, slowly create a contender team with mix of veteran players and young star players
with a different coach, coaching staff.

Team 1. (19-20 season)

Hellebuyck(WPG)
McElhinney(CAR)

Giordano(CGY)-Petry(MTL)
Nurse-Yandle(FLA)
Sekera-Bouchard

Puljujärvi-Wheeler(WPG)*-Draisaitl
Frolik(CGY)-Kreji(BOS)-Williams(CAR)
Brown(LAK)-NugentHopkins-Brouwer(FLA)
Copp(WPG)-Marody-Kassian

Coach: Bruce Boudreau

Hellebuyck - 6.1 -> 23-24
McElhinney - 0.85 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1.5?)

= about 7 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

Giordano - 6.75 -> 21-22
Petry - 5.5 -> 20-21
Nurse - 3.2 -> 19-20 (needs to re-sign after the season, maybe 5.5?)
Yandle - 6.3 -> 22-23
Sekera - 5.5 -> 20-21
Bouchard - 0.92 -> 21-22

= about 27 mill cap hit, G+D= about 34 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

Puljujärvi - 0.92 -> 18-19 (instead of trading him, i would re-sign him, a 2 year bridge deal: 2 x 2.0)
Wheeler - 5.6 -> 23-24
Draisaitl - 8.5 -> 24-25
Frolik - 4.3 -> 19-20 (needs to re-sign after the season, maybe 4 or 5?)
Kreji - 7.2 -> 20-21
Williams - 4.5 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 3 or 4?)
Brown - 5.8 -> 21-22
NugentHopkins - 6.0 -> 20-21
Brouwer - 0.85 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1 or 1.5?)
Copp - 1.0 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1.5)
Marody - 0.92 -> 20-21

= about 43 mill cap hit, G+D+F about 77 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

*Last season Wheeler played as a center when Scheifele was injured,
he played soooooo well as a center, BTW. Laine&Wheeler played so well together back then.

I don’t think that’s how this works

Reactions: Keke

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I’d red wedding upper management and say “Calgary sends their regards”

Why would Calgary be doing it since i assume Calgary wants the Oilers to continue being shit. Calgary would be the one protecting the upper management so that they can keep on making shitty decisions.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If you want to move Lucic, that 8th pick is gonna have to go with him. A couple seconds or some mediocre prospects won’t get it done, he’s entered a new level of suck.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would be willing to overpay for a defenseman with a great shot that could run a powerplay. Even if fans on these boards would laugh during the summer, it would pay off where it matters, especially if Bouchard made the lineup, and could play a more minor role and develop well.

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
If I was hired to be the GM of the Oilers.....I would be fired in a week for not being part of the OBC.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I would be willing to overpay for a defenseman with a great shot that could run a powerplay. Even if fans on these boards would laugh during the summer, it would pay off where it matters, especially if Bouchard made the lineup, and could play a more minor role and develop well.
Oil need some quality volume. The Flyers have openly stated they are looking for a 2c and veteran rhd. RNH and Larsson might fill the bill. Flyers have excess young D and wingers. They won't move Provorov or Sanheim but maybe Ghost plus a young winger (Konecny, Farabee, Lindblom) could be the foundation of trade that works for both teams.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
they're only really 1 year in cap hell
That’s been my perspective these last awful Chia years. I believe the Russell, Sekera and even Lucic(following a number of games this year in the box to incentivize) contracts are movable in a year. The level in which you would have to pay varies. We have a farm system with a number of D-men who are ready for a look and likely a couple overripe in a year. Money saved needs to be applied to a couple forwards to not have such a laughable drop in scoring. Committee D will have to do for now. Clarity with McDavid and, at least for PC reasons, Drai.

I have actively avoided looking at all of Chiarelli’s blunders at once for some time because it made me so angry. The salary chart might have been a mistake...

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Try to trade

Gagner
Rieder
Kassian
Sekera
Petrovic
Koskinen

(Lucic + Russell aren’t going anymore)

RNH for Barrie+2nd

2nd for C.Brown

Puljujarji - McDavid - C.Brown
Benson - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Lucic - Khaira - Yanamoto
Rieder - Brodziak - ?

Klefbom - Barrie
Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning

?
Stolarz

No UFA signings.

That’s still a crap roster, but defense is better and there’s more cap to play with.
I admire the effort but you can’t really just say “trade these players” when two(Reider and Petrovic) players are gone already and others(particularly Koskinen) are untradeable. Even Chia would have likely screwed up with magic trade powers... damn him. Damn him all to Hell.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Trade Nugent Hopkins
Trade Klefbom
Trade Nurse
Trade Larson
Trade Benning at 50 percent retained
Trade Russel with 1-1.5 million retained

Get the old stink out pronto

Extend Chiason with bridge deal 3 to 4 million
Extend Gravel on 2 year bridge deal no more than 1.5 million

Extend Malone to 1 year deal

Don’t qualify Rieder
Let Petro walk

Sign very short term deals with heart vets that can skate

Qualify all remaining rfas

Buy out Lucic

Remove C from Mcdavid
I didn’t know how to nicely say how asinine it all was until the last line and then realized I didn’t have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad