If You Got Hired As GM of Oilers

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Step 1: Make McDavid a player GM

Step 2: Have him acquire players around him that he wants to play with.

Step 3: ?????????????

Step 4: Profit!

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I don't think they are as far off as people think.

McDavid and Draisatl are superstars
RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse are solid
Chiasson had a nice bounce back season
Russel is OK

If I'm the GM, anyone else is available for picks or prospects.

I'd go after 2 or 3 of the 2nd tier UFA forwards like Nyquist, Lee, brock nelson to ice a good 2nd line.

Puuljujarvi still has time to turn it around, Bouchard is a great prospect, they should get another good one this year. Yamamoto has potential, as does Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear.

A few good signings and trades that they get good value in should get them back into playoff contention. They will need to draft far better than they have in the 2nd round and later though.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Russel is OK

I'd go after 2 or 3 of the 2nd tier UFA forwards like Nyquist, Lee, brock nelson to ice a good 2nd line.

Puuljujarvi still has time to turn it around, Bouchard is a great prospect, they should get another good one this year. Yamamoto has potential, as does Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear.

A few good signings and trades that they get good value in should get them back into playoff contention. They will need to draft far better than they have in the 2nd round and later though.

Yes, but the media and fans say that every year and look what happens? lol. The big thing is they lack depth in every major area and have no money to do anything. And good luck getting rid of the bad contracts. If you can get rid of the bad contracts and players though that will go a long way into freeing up cap space.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If you want to move Lucic, that 8th pick is gonna have to go with him. A couple seconds or some mediocre prospects won’t get it done, he’s entered a new level of suck.

How does trading Lucic help?
The Oilers have a problem with too few NHL players on their roster. Removing one adds to the depth issue. Yes, Lucic is paid too much money, as was Eberle, Strome, etc. But the Oilers were forced to move them because the salary structure was wrecked, not because they aren't NHL players. They have 3rd and 4th line players paid higher up in the lineup. Same with goaltending and defence.
Need a GM that understands that each line on a team has a salary structure/limit.
Can't keep throwing money at RFA - they're the worst deal in hockey and will destroy your cap

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I'd fire all the amateur scouts & try to poach as many scouts from Tampa, Anaheim & Ottawa. Say what you want about Ottawa but they know how to draft players quite well in every round.
Hire coach Gronberg, since Coach Q already signed with Florida.
Tell Lucic that unless he protects his teammates he's gonna be a healthy scratch for all 82 games a year.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I would put it out there that we are trading McDavid. Then sit back and wait for someone to make that GIF of the WWE guy with the MacTavish head on it, but with me. It's my favorite GIF of all time. If you could get half of what HFB thinks it would cost to get McD, you would be in good shape.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Russel is OK

If Edmonton keeps all those players that you mention, then what remaining roster players would garner high picks and prospects? They would fetch just scraps. As for UFAs, frankly, what self-respecting free agent would willingly sign in Edmonton? The organization is a mess and a few years away from serious playoff contention, and playing on the same team as McDavid would not be sufficient incentive to sign with the Oilers.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Say you are put in charge. What do you do this summer?
Since I have no experience running a hockey team, or even, like, being the manager of a convenience store or anything, I expect to be quite a terrible GM. What am I even supposed to do when I show up? Talk to the other staff? They'll quickly figure out I have no experience being a general manager of anything. In fact, I think I'd leave the business to run itself and focus on banging lingerie models. If I'm the GM of the Oilers, surely there's plenty of willing tail to be had? And I expect to be paid well, so I'll buy some exotic sports cars to entertain my new lingerie model friends in.

Also, probably coke. Anyone have Jori Lehtera's number?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honestly, I would hire a bunch of assistants from the Rangers board and around HF.

It would be fun to do it with my friends and see what they're capable of.

Edmonton is already Edmonton so we have nothing to lose.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
I'd sit down with McDavid / RNH / Draisaitl, and see what they want to do. Depending how that goes, i'd blow it all up, and build around them. They remind me of the 2017 Sens. Maybe McDavid will carry them into the WCF like Karlsson, but I don't think there's enough talent in their line-up. I don't think they'll be bad enough for top 3 picks either, so stuck being mediocre.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
How does trading Lucic help?
The Oilers have a problem with too few NHL players on their roster. Removing one adds to the depth issue. Yes, Lucic is paid too much money, as was Eberle, Strome, etc. But the Oilers were forced to move them because the salary structure was wrecked, not because they aren't NHL players. They have 3rd and 4th line players paid higher up in the lineup.

Does anyone else see the irony in asking this and then the immediate paragraph following it?

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA

Russel is OK

Your post contradicts itself with the last paragraph. You mention:

1. a few good signings
2. good value trades
3. draft better in the 2nd round

If the GM can pull these things off, the team is back in playoff contention.

But it needs to be considered that these are all MASSIVE things that need to pan out for the ship to even get back on the right track. Those are 3 thing the Oilers have proven time and time again to be horrible at. Who were they good at signing, trading for, or drafting past round 2 most recently. Last I checked, the same scouting staff is still intact. I see no reason to suddenly think they can improve drastically in all 3 areas.

Yes they have 2 incredible superstars to build around. But who's the star on defense or in net to build around? The entire backend needs to be rebuilt. I watched Nicholson's presser and he said they have a bunch of NHL ready D-men in the minors. Maybe Oiler fans can comment it out if that's true or not. But other then Bouchard, I don't see anyone that stands out. Even then, D take years more to pan out then forwards do.

It's going to take a real snake of a salesman GM to convince free agents to sign there and not overpay. Especially when you hear the comments coming from Nicholson's mouth. Make no mistake, players and agents will take note.

I do believe you when you say that better drafting, trading and signing will improve the team. But I don't believe the Oilers are capable of doing all 3 simultaneously during the summer.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Since I have no experience running a hockey team, or even, like, being the manager of a convenience store or anything, I expect to be quite a terrible GM. What am I even supposed to do when I show up? Talk to the other staff? They'll quickly figure out I have no experience being a general manager of anything. In fact, I think I'd leave the business to run itself and focus on banging lingerie models. If I'm the GM of the Oilers, surely there's plenty of willing tail to be had? And I expect to be paid well, so I'll buy some exotic sports cars to entertain my new lingerie model friends in.

Also, probably coke. Anyone have Jori Lehtera's number?

They'd probably hold parades for you. Chiarelli didn't exactly set the bar high

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
IMO the Oilers have some good pieces internally in the AHL.
Benson: PPG winger in the AHL as a 20/21 year old
Marody: PPG+ center in the AHL as a 21/22 year old
Yamamoto, Bouchard, Bear, Jones, Persson (arguably the best D man in the SHL atm), 8th overall pick this year

The Oilers need to clear out room on the main roster and allow some TALENTED and SKILLED players on ELCs to fill in for depth. A lot of the guys mentioned are ready or very close to NHL ready and being in sheltered NHL roles would be good for the team and their development.

The Oilers are currently handcuffed with the Lucic and Sekera (too bad for the injuries) deals... 11.5M tied up in a 4th line winger and a 3rd pair D man - next GM needs to work some magic to make these contracts go away.

IF I'm GM, my goal is to have this as my D core in 2 years:
Klefbom - Upgrade on Larsson (Hopefully Bouchard develops into a top pair guy)
Nurse - Bouchard
Jones - Bear/Persson

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think that they will have to sacrifice potential for immediate help. IMO, that means that you're keeping Bouchard because he's closer to having an impact on the line-up than Jones or Bear. And you're going to package 1 of those 2 guys for an impact forward.

You're also going to sacrifice 1 of Yamamoto or Puljujarvi for immediate help as well.

Then, you're looking for depth throughout the line-up. You can create a system that works in the NHL, where overall (as a group) talent doesn't matter as much. I think the Islanders this year & Golden Knights last year are a great example of that. Barzal led the Isles in overall points this year with 62, which put him #67 in the league. Both teams I mentioned, didn't have superstars, but had really solid depth guys throughout the line-up & they worked hard. Plus, their goaltending solved any problems they had throughout the year as well.

1. Trade for Jonathan Drouin. Overpay with prospects. I don't think Drouin will ever get to the point where people expected. And that's still okay because he's a top 6 player in the NHL. But if you present Montreal an offer they can't turn down, then you pull the trigger. Don't know what that offer looks like, but I'd also try to get McNiven from them as well.

2. Trade Manning + a pick to Toronto for Connor Brown. The pick is to offset the difference in overall talent between the 2. Brown bounces between 3rd & 4th line & provides a good depth option. Toronto has a need to move out some salary & Manning can be buried with the option to go between the Marlies & Leafs.

3. Buyout Lucic. We all need to stop pretending that there is some magical way that he ends up being traded with an asset. Make the tough decision. Cut your losses. That's it.

4. Re-sign Chiasson to a 2 year deal. He can probably give you another year of decent production & he can play up and down the line-up. Preference is to play lower than higher.

5. Trade for Bonino. Nashville might run into some problems with cap problems next year. I think they have the luxury to trade him and get one of the B rated prospects & a small salary.

6. Make a play for Bobrovsky in Free Agency. I know they committed some money to Koskinen, but think a pairing with Bobrovsky would be solid.

7. Hope for the best with the defense. Nurse, Larsson, Kelfbom & Sekera are your top 4 for next year. Sekera had a rough year with injuries but was good 2 seasons ago. Hope that he can return to that. Keep Russell to pair with Bouchard on the bottom pairing. Shelter him in a smaller role, with power play time. I'm not sure that there are going to be any other moves on the defense that you can do that aren't a lateral switch.

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Not much for the coming season since there is no cap space to do anything with. Maybe trade one of our top 4 d for a forward. And the more I think about it that d should be Klefblom who has the highest value and is rarely healthy enough to help the team anyway. Moving Klefblom also allows the team to play Russell on the left side where he belongs. If the forward coming back is young and on a cheap contract that trade could clear enough cap space to sign a relatively inexpensive ufa winger like Donskoi.

Honestly if I could accomplish those two small things i would consider it successful. The season after next the cap space situation starts to change dramatically and a lot more will be possible.

I know what I wouldn't do. I would definitely not trade a high pick just to unload Lucic, nor would I buy him out. I would however let my new coach know that I would fully support a decision to bench Lucic for the season regardless of his contract.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not much for the coming season since there is no cap space to do anything with. Maybe trade one of our top 4 d for a forward. And the more I think about it that d should be Klefblom who has the highest value and is rarely healthy enough to help the team anyway. Moving Klefblom also allows the team to play Russell on the left side where he belongs. If the forward coming back is young and on a cheap contract that trade could clear enough cap space to sign a relatively inexpensive ufa winger like Donskoi.

Honestly if I could accomplish those two small things i would consider it successful. The season after next the cap space situation starts to change dramatically and a lot more will be possible.

I know what I wouldn't do. I would definitely not trade a high pick just to unload Lucic, nor would I buy him out. I would however let my new coach know that I would fully support a decision to bench Lucic for the season regardless of his contract.

They're really only in cap hell for next year.

You can move Russell or Sekera next offseason when their contracts are less.

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010

Russel is OK

To play devil's advocate:

Yes, McDavid and Draisatl are incredible players (although Draisaitl only seems to be a superstar when on McDavid's wing).

Sure, RNH is a fine second line center, but he gets pushed off the puck easily and doesn't provide elite offense. He's still a good player, but every team has a player like RNH.

Klefbom, Larsson, and Nurse are not solid. Not if they are the top 3 defense man on your team anyways. Klefbom and Larsson seem to be regressing after terrible years. Nurse looks like a solid second pair guy though. I like the way he plays. Regardless, you still need 1 and 2 defense man- not easy to get.

Chiasson didn't have a bounce back season. He rode a unsustainable shooting percentage while playing PP1 and on a line with McDavid. He is a 3rd line player at best. If he even comes back.

Russell is not okay. He would be okay if he was on your 3rd pairing and cost the league minimum. He plays on their second pairing and costs 4 million a year.

Everybody who is left after that isn't worth any substantial picks and prospects.

They don't have the cap space to sign 2 or 3 significant UFA forwards without finding a way to move money out and even if they did, why would any player sign there unless they are getting overpaid?

Puljujarvi's camp has already let it be known that he wants out. They can probably get a couple picks for him, but he's coming off a major surgery and didn't look good before that. Bouchard is a good prospect, but still lots to be determined. His skating concerns have given scouts a pause if he can be a top pairing defender or just a power play guy. Maybe one of Yamamoto, Bear, or Jones will pan out, but even if they do- every team in the league has prospects like this. They aren't anything special.

When was the last time they made a solid trade or had a really good draft? Their entire management needs to be re hauled before you can start asking for that.

Not to mention they are locked into Koskinen as their starter now.

Look, I know I'm sounding bleak, but I just want to look at the situation for what it is. A new GM can certainly turn this this around, but they need to start improving now otherwise they will only continue to be at a standstill. With the right leader I think they can be back i the playoffs in 2-3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad