If You Got Hired As GM of Oilers

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
McDavid's frustration is understandable, but he didn't mean "if we're bad again next year then I quit". Somehow that's how it's being interpreted.

You can't build a team without some modicum of patience. As it happens, for the first time in a while the Oilers are going to get some great lift from within the organization. The incoming forwards from Bakersfield are exactly what they need. The D should be better. It's a young group, and Caleb Jones in particular I'm excited about. I think a trade for Erik Haula would be great. They should have just enough leftover cap to snag a winger off the UFA market, to give RNH some help on the second line.

The biggest problem this year was at forward, exemplified by the fact that their 4th through 6th highest scoring forwards had 38, 26, and 20 pts respectively, which is incredibly low. Haula and say, Donskoi, would add 35-45 pts each, then whatever Benson, Marody and co. can add.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
No matter who gets the GM job he is screwed if he wants to make any serious trades right off the bat because every other GM in the league knows he has to make a move. So he has to play small ball AND get lucky while doing so, in any type of trade situation.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I don't think a GM can fire an incompetent owner and tell the OBC to f*** off to Kirgisistan...sadly.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'd trade McDavid away and save his future legacy. Then I'd walk away a true Canadian hero. Just give me 24 hrs.

If you are trading him to the Leafs. Fine.

If not, I don't like you.

If we're being serious, Katz needs to read some books on successful management hierarchies and realize his mistake and clean house.

A GM can't do shit if the rest of the idiots are still there and have a say.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not much cap on a non playoff team, doesn't bode well. Gotta let some of those expensive bad contracts expire, because you only lose value in any trade.
Attracting UFAs is tough, bad team, worse travel schedule in the league, and the weather is a turn off for some players.
Solution, get lucky in the draft and nuture the good players so they want to stay at non premium prices.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Not much cap on a non playoff team, doesn't bode well. Gotta let some of those expensive bad contracts expire, because you only lose value in any trade.
Attracting UFAs is tough, bad team, worse travel schedule in the league, and the weather is a turn off for some players.
Solution, get lucky in the draft and nuture the good players so they want to stay at non premium prices.

This is true. I don't see how freeing up cap space in Edmonton is magically going to result in free agents signing there. The team and organization are a mess.

Hockey Nebula

Jan 10, 2019
It sucks for Oilers fans, but here's how I see it:
  • There's been too much change in player personnel, coaching, and management. Slow it down and generate some stability so everybody knows who they're accountable to.
  • Stop rushing prospects. Slow that down too.
  • Prepare everybody for a potentially slow climb back into the playoffs.
  • Insist on absolute autonomy, like Brian Burke says.
  • Sign a winger who can score 50 pts. ( I know that's not easy, that's why it's at the bottom of the list.)
  • Leave no stone unturned to get Lucic out of the lineup: trade to cap-floor team like Ottawa? Park him in the minors? (Not easy, but something has to be done, before next training camp. He's become too ineffective, which I know is an obvious statement.)
There, that's my genius list of what to do if I'm GM.

Reactions: Rydgar

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
  • There's been too much change in player personnel, coaching, and management. Slow it down and generate some stability so everybody knows who they're accountable to.
  • Sign a winger who can score 50 pts. ( I know that's not easy, that's why it's at the bottom of the list.)
  • Leave no stone unturned to get Lucic out of the lineup: trade to cap-floor team like Ottawa? Park him in the minors? (Not easy, but something has to be done, before next training camp. He's become too ineffective, which I know is an obvious statement.)

Rushing prospects has killed them in Edmonton. New GM has to go in and fire everyone who was involved with the 15 years of suck and start over

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006

Lucic has a no movement clause, you can't trade him anywhere he doesn't want to go or park him in the minors. The decision about whether he plays or not should be up to the new coach. Last season Lucic was a serviceable fourth line winger. If he was signed for 2 million instead of 6 there would not be a problem. If his play deteriorates further this coming season and the coach decides to bench him the GM should support that decision, but he should not make the decision for the coach.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
trade McDavid, Draistl, Klefbom, Larson, Hopkings for what the most I can get and restart the organization..wait out all the bad contracts and start from scratch, having a better understanding of the cap and advance stats

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
This is true. I don't see how freeing up cap space in Edmonton is magically going to result in free agents signing there. The team and organization are a mess.

Just like the cap space situation the supposed inability of the Oilers to sign free agents is grossly exaggerated. I wish that it wasn't, because signing expensive free agents is a poor way to build a team and every big name free agent the Oilers have ever signed (Lucic, Souray, Khabibulin) has turned out to be a disaster. A year ago I would have added Sekera to that list but in my opinion he has redeemed himself. A new GM will be able to sign inexpensive free agents to fill out the roster if he has cap space to work with I have no doubt, but picking the right ones to sign is the key. Wingers who can skate and at least one defenceman who can move the puck up ice efficiently should be the targets.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If I was Oilers GM instead of trying to make a big move I would try fix team depth. Basically I would look for a combination of character and work ethic to fill out my bottom 6 forwards. As for the Defense same deal character and work ethic would rate high on my list, although if the right defenseman came on the market I would make a huge pitch for him

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if this is a repeat but first thing I would do is tell Lucic he has now developed the Hossa skin disease.

Reactions: Pi

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
If I was Oilers GM instead of trying to make a big move I would try fix team depth. Basically I would look for a combination of character and work ethic to fill out my bottom 6 forwards. As for the Defense same deal character and work ethic would rate high on my list, although if the right defenseman came on the market I would make a huge pitch for him

I could not agree more. For me the biggest difference between the 2017 Oilers and the 2018 Oilers was not so much the injuries they had but the fact that those injuries exposed a serious lack of depth. They need to be able to draft and develop players who will compliment McDavid and Drai. There is some reason for optimism on that front with the success of Bakersfield this year and the fact that one of Jones or Benson appears ready to make the team next year. They would be the first players drafted outside the first round to make the team since Tyler Pitlick.

This is the biggest problem I have with the idea of promoting Keith Gretzky to be the new GM. Gretzky appears to be very good at his current job so promoting him might be an example of the Peter principal at work.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
If you are trading him to the Leafs. Fine.

If not, I don't like you.

If we're being serious, Katz needs to read some books on successful management hierarchies and realize his mistake and clean house.

A GM can't do **** if the rest of the idiots are still there and have a say.

I'm pretty sure that Katz is making money on the Oilers due to McDavid - Not likely to change whether they are in 1st or last place. Be a small bonus if he gets playoff money, but it's not necessary

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Lucic has a no movement clause, you can't trade him anywhere he doesn't want to go or park him in the minors. The decision about whether he plays or not should be up to the new coach. Last season Lucic was a serviceable fourth line winger. If he was signed for 2 million instead of 6 there would not be a problem. If his play deteriorates further this coming season and the coach decides to bench him the GM should support that decision, but he should not make the decision for the coach.

but you can tell him that he'll never play another game in the NHL if he remains an Oiler.
Tell him to go home and watch the games on TV

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Make a statement like Burke:
"If I'm driving the bus, both my hands better be the only ones on the wheel."
The moment that ends, I resign.

A lot of pink slips...

pretty much this.

They have some good young talent on the way and need to totally regroup on Jesse Puljujarvi and Kailer Yamamoto with an opposite coach of Hitch.

If they are patient and develop some of their young talent they should be okay.

I'd also get very creative and try to find a way to shed Lucic, his contract and play is just horrific.

That being said the Oilers are in a very bad position geographically to attract free agents and its not their fault but it is reality.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Tried to come up with a plan without trading McDavid but I couldn't. Its a rough situation over there forward wise. Cap situation isn't really that great either

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd have tons of work to do. No job is safe unless your names are Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Evan Bouchard, Leon Draisaitl, and Joey Moss.

But Katz might fire me because I won't listen to a single word he says on fixing up the Edmonton Oilers. I'd also make sure no bad trades happen ever again, unless it's for the good of the organization, some bad trades happen because the team is just happy to get rid of players. I might upset him because it'll require me spending lots of money in helping the organization get better.

Would do a complete cleaning. Management all over the place, would scout for the right people to develop players around North America, talk to Connor to see how things could be worked out in Edmonton for the greater good. I might go as far as firing all the 80's Oilers within the organization if I have to. Find the cancer and toxic within the Oilers organization and get rid of it as soon as possible, no matter who it is.

Plan B: If Connor wants out, I'd make trades that would consist of cap dump coming to Edmonton along with prospects and draft picks within the new development staff. I'd make sure another Gretzky trade happens for the Oilers in trading Connor, if it does happen, also get lots for the other stars. Make sure they go to teams they'd be happy with going forward as an apology for it not working for them in Edmonton, while getting lots in return for the Oilers. Let the prospects develop while the contracts come to an end for those cap dumps. Have them help the rookies develop into the NHL, let the players do their thing in terms of playing hockey. But going forward won't sign stupid contracts. Kind of smart because it might make the players play harder as they see it as maybe their final chance at competing for the cup. I'd hire lots more scouts across the globe, make sure that all the staff within the Oilers are happy and treated at their very best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad