If You Got Hired As GM of Oilers

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
1st 2019 + Puljuavri + Lucic + Russell + more futures if necessary to Ottawa for whatever.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Trade McDavid and Drais to better teams, then quit before they could fire me.

Clean and precise.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No one is interested in Lucic at 4 mil. He is untradeable. No sense buying him out either. Savings aren’t worth it.

Oilers fans should should let go of the fantasy that this can be a playoff team next year. They just signed a backup goalie to 4.5 per. This is a minimum 2 year rebuild if the new GM does everything right.

Problem is that Connor probably wo t wait that long. One more year of this and summer 2020 could be the long night for the Oilers.

It’s a catch 22.

A revamped bottom six and a winger for RNH will be a huge boost for this team. They nearly made the playoffs on the backs of 3 forwsrds, zero secondary scoring and a depleted defence. Talbot plays average the first few months of the year and they make it this season.

As for Lucic, all it takes is 1 team to get steam rolled by Wilson or Reaves ina playoff series loss and Lucic at 4 million starts to look decent.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Can’t tell if you’re being serious...if McDavid came out and said he wants to be traded every second he stayed there would be a nightmare for the oilers. No one would blame him for wanting out. In fact, I bet if he actually wanted out, he would never have to even say so publicly before he was traded. It would get done.

And, he wouldn’t net a crap return.

Or the owner can say you're not being traded until you're 26 no matter what.

He's a great player but he doesn't have the leeway to bail out of a contract because he missed the playoffs a few years in a row.

Tavares missed 4/5 of his first seasons.
Eichel has missed 4 straight years.
MacKinnon just recently missed 3 straight years
Lemieux missed 4 straight years, made it once, then missed again immediately after.
Iginla missed 7 straight years.

None of these guys asked for a trade out, so quite frankly if I'm the owner I tell him if he doesn't want to play for a year, that's fine, he can forfeit his $12.5 million, the Oilers can go add another no.1 overall and then he can come back the next year and see if he feels like playing hockey.

You're not entitled to a trade just because you've not made the playoffs in a few seasons. He signed that contract, I would straight up tell him you will honor at minimum half of that deal, that's 3 more seasons.

Reactions: paul jambon

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
McJesus to NYI for Andrew Ladd
Followed immediately by Drai for Ho-Sang. Then promptly get fired, go back to LI and watch the fruits of my labor lol.

In all seriousness, I dunno wtf the Oilers can do. Hope to God they can get a good GM and coach and see from there. If anything, the islanders are proof that a culture change and a real coach can get a lot done. The isles roster on paper is not very good, yet there is still a chance (albeit slim) that they can take the division.

Throw stupid amounts of money at Yzerman and coach Q this offseason

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
- Retain 2 million on Lucic and try to move him for anything that doesn't involve salary coming back, like picks or prospects. A team that got bullied in the playoffs might be interested in him at 4 million.

The Oilers paid him a million dollars per goal this season. Think about that. A team could get assaulted, bound, and left for dead in the playoffs and they still are not going to be interested in him at any price.

Lucic doesn't just have a bad contract, he is sadly no longer an NHL calibre player.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
That'd be great - from net rat to 2M dollars. I could buy hundreds of whisky bottles. When the team goes to NY or LV I would follow.

I'd have a dart board for decisions and be rolling dice for the rest of it.

If the team has problems, I would say skate up and shoot it in to the goal.

Hoo heye, with such a salary, I'd try to fool them some more years - eventually until I died.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A revamped bottom six and a winger for RNH will be a huge boost for this team. They nearly made the playoffs on the backs of 3 forwsrds, zero secondary scoring and a depleted defence. Talbot plays average the first few months of the year and they make it this season.

As for Lucic, all it takes is 1 team to get steam rolled by Wilson or Reaves ina playoff series loss and Lucic at 4 million starts to look decent.
Edmonton should keep him in case they ever meet Washington in the SCF.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
One thing I haven't seen mentioned much yet is the prospect of making deals around the Seattle expansion. Presumably the draft will take place in the summer of 2021 and, if the rules are anything like they were for Vegas, players drafted this summer and next summer could be expansion draft exempt (2 seasons of 10 games or less in the NHL and/or AHL and they are exempt). While in terms of contract structure that is far out for many teams (e.g. Montreal only has 5 players under contract through 2021-2022 season that is relevant and one is Carey Price), there are teams like the Tampa Bay Lightning and presumably the Winnipeg Jets that are organizationally stacked to the point that they will have at least 7/3/1 F/D/G (respectively) players they want to or are obligated to protect because of NTCs and NMCs. I think that right there is your 3-year plan to build around. Edmonton has something like 13 picks in the next two drafts (obviously of varying value) and the looming expansion ought to make otherwise desirable "keepers" cheaper to acquire.

Furthermore, Seattle would presumably only be able to select one of Edmonton's players, so they could conceivably get several players who either would not otherwise have been available or who would have been available but for less.

member 147413

Try to trade

Gagner
Rieder
Kassian
Sekera
Petrovic
Koskinen

(Lucic + Russell aren’t going anymore)

RNH for Barrie+2nd

2nd for C.Brown

Puljujarji - McDavid - C.Brown
Benson - Draisaitl - Chiasson
Lucic - Khaira - Yanamoto
Rieder - Brodziak - ?

Klefbom - Barrie
Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning

?
Stolarz

No UFA signings.

That’s still a crap roster, but defense is better and there’s more cap to play with.

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
I'd probably think:

you-must-be-truly-desperate-to-come-to-me-for-help.jpg

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
One scenario: CM should be frustrated and he will leave like JT left if things fail to get better in the near future. However unlike JT he will allow the team to trade him.
Two: New GM drafts well and the team is on its way to a bright future. MCDavid than decides to stay.

What would I do?
Trust the process. It's tough and its long and grueling but the Oilers don't have a quick fix.
This team needs a semi rebuild again.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
....i would trade McDavid and bunch of others, fire the coaching staff, get rid of the old boys club

1. Make a short term, 3 year plan: build a team that wins games, not titles (division, conference, SC)
because the first thing the Oilers need, is a winning culture back.

Create a team that qualifies to the post season (each season) , don't try to win the Cup, just keep a winning record.
Don't try to create a contender team from the get go

Acquire quality veteran players and acquire a great regular season coach who can keep you above the surface.
score in the range of 90-99 points each season.

2. Make a long term, 6 year plan: draft smart (through 1st rounds 15-30 picks, 2 & 3rd round picks and later round picks)
develop prospects smartly & patiently towards NHL.

Now that you have the basis, slowly create a contender team with mix of veteran players and young star players
with a different coach, coaching staff.

Team 1. (19-20 season)

Hellebuyck(WPG)
McElhinney(CAR)

Giordano(CGY)-Petry(MTL)
Nurse-Yandle(FLA)
Sekera-Bouchard

Puljujärvi-Wheeler(WPG)*-Draisaitl
Frolik(CGY)-Kreji(BOS)-Williams(CAR)
Brown(LAK)-NugentHopkins-Brouwer(FLA)
Copp(WPG)-Marody-Kassian

Coach: Bruce Boudreau

Hellebuyck - 6.1 -> 23-24
McElhinney - 0.85 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1.5?)

= about 7 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

Giordano - 6.75 -> 21-22
Petry - 5.5 -> 20-21
Nurse - 3.2 -> 19-20 (needs to re-sign after the season, maybe 5.5?)
Yandle - 6.3 -> 22-23
Sekera - 5.5 -> 20-21
Bouchard - 0.92 -> 21-22

= about 27 mill cap hit, G+D= about 34 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

Puljujärvi - 0.92 -> 18-19 (instead of trading him, i would re-sign him, a 2 year bridge deal: 2 x 2.0)
Wheeler - 5.6 -> 23-24
Draisaitl - 8.5 -> 24-25
Frolik - 4.3 -> 19-20 (needs to re-sign after the season, maybe 4 or 5?)
Kreji - 7.2 -> 20-21
Williams - 4.5 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 3 or 4?)
Brown - 5.8 -> 21-22
NugentHopkins - 6.0 -> 20-21
Brouwer - 0.85 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1 or 1.5?)
Copp - 1.0 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1.5)
Marody - 0.92 -> 20-21

= about 43 mill cap hit, G+D+F about 77 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

*Last season Wheeler played as a center when Scheifele was injured,
he played soooooo well as a center, BTW. Laine&Wheeler played so well together back then.

Brownies

I don't think a GM can do much good when I look at the people they have to answer to
You know, I’m not sure about that. Looking at how much of a puppet Dorion is and how much better a respected guy like Brian Murray was able to calm Melnyk and do his thing, I think some people have what it takes to jump in a messy situation and be respected enough to have the room to manœuvre. They can’t hire a guy who’s never been a GM or at least souldn’t.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I’d ask for a 10 year guaranteed contract, because that’s how long it’s going to take to fix the franchise.

And I’d be open to trading McDavid, but I’d want to dump some shitty contracts and get a young blue chipper in return... probably a puck or two too

Nov 24, 2006
....i would trade McDavid and bunch of others, fire the coaching staff, get rid of the old boys club

1. Make a short term, 3 year plan: build a team that wins games, not titles (division, conference, SC)
because the first thing the Oilers need, is a winning culture back.

Create a team that qualifies to the post season (each season) , don't try to win the Cup, just keep a winning record.
Don't try to create a contender team from the get go

Acquire quality veteran players and acquire a great regular season coach who can keep you above the surface.
score in the range of 90-99 points each season.

2. Make a long term, 6 year plan: draft smart (through 1st rounds 15-30 picks, 2 & 3rd round picks and later round picks)
develop prospects smartly & patiently towards NHL.

Now that you have the basis, slowly create a contender team with mix of veteran players and young star players
with a different coach, coaching staff.

Team 1. (19-20 season)

Hellebuyck(WPG)
McElhinney(CAR)

Giordano(CGY)-Petry(MTL)
Nurse-Yandle(FLA)
Sekera-Bouchard

Puljujärvi-Wheeler(WPG)*-Draisaitl
Frolik(CGY)-Kreji(BOS)-Williams(CAR)
Brown(LAK)-NugentHopkins-Brouwer(FLA)
Copp(WPG)-Marody-Kassian

Coach: Bruce Boudreau

Hellebuyck - 6.1 -> 23-24
McElhinney - 0.85 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1.5?)

= about 7 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

Giordano - 6.75 -> 21-22
Petry - 5.5 -> 20-21
Nurse - 3.2 -> 19-20 (needs to re-sign after the season, maybe 5.5?)
Yandle - 6.3 -> 22-23
Sekera - 5.5 -> 20-21
Bouchard - 0.92 -> 21-22

= about 27 mill cap hit, G+D= about 34 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

Puljujärvi - 0.92 -> 18-19 (instead of trading him, i would re-sign him, a 2 year bridge deal: 2 x 2.0)
Wheeler - 5.6 -> 23-24
Draisaitl - 8.5 -> 24-25
Frolik - 4.3 -> 19-20 (needs to re-sign after the season, maybe 4 or 5?)
Kreji - 7.2 -> 20-21
Williams - 4.5 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 3 or 4?)
Brown - 5.8 -> 21-22
NugentHopkins - 6.0 -> 20-21
Brouwer - 0.85 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1 or 1.5?)
Copp - 1.0 -> 18-19 (needs to re-sign, maybe 1.5)
Marody - 0.92 -> 20-21

= about 43 mill cap hit, G+D+F about 77 mill cap hit for 19-20 season

*Last season Wheeler played as a center when Scheifele was injured,
he played soooooo well as a center, BTW. Laine&Wheeler played so well together back then.
Where exactly are you getting all these players from???

How do Wheeler, Hellebuyck, and Copp from Wpg show up on Edmonton's roster?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Can’t tell if you’re being serious...if McDavid came out and said he wants to be traded every second he stayed there would be a nightmare for the oilers. No one would blame him for wanting out. In fact, I bet if he actually wanted out, he would never have to even say so publicly before he was traded. It would get done.

And, he wouldn’t net a crap return.

I am absolutely serious. The media doing its thing hassling everyone about the situation is still a better situation for the Oilers than trading McDavid because he's a huge cash cow. I agree no one would blame him for wanting out but he has no real leverage in such a situation. The media stuff would not be enough of a detriment to justify losing the copious amounts of money that he makes the team. It would be a very poor business decision to give into that.

And yes, he would net a crap return. That's how superstar deals always work when big money is involved AND a team is put into a situation where they are admitting up front they have to deal said player. Teams in that situation always get bent over. His return will not be considered good. They lose on multiple fronts if they give in to that.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Even if the Oilers manage to free up cap space, what free agent will want to sign there, given the situation in Edmonton? I don't think that playing with McDavid would be sufficient enticement.

Edmonton really needs to clean house in its front office and must focus on long-term scouting and player development. Unfortunately, that will likely mean no playoffs for another two or three seasons, at least, by which time McDavid will have probably had more than enough and demand out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad