If you could reverse one trade your team made since 2010, which would it be?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Trading McDonagh for spare parts. We'd be able to afford his current contract because we wouldn't have needed to trade for Trouba.

We'd have a top four of McDonagh-Fox, Lindgren-DeAngelo, which is more than respectable.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
For me, I'd choose either the Yandle trade or the Nash trade. The Yandle trade de-stabilized our D, IMO. Yandle is a better player than Moore, but the Rangers were a better team with Moore.

The Nash trade is similarly about roster construction. The 11-12 team was primarily all about depth and trading two top-9 forwards, both capable of playing center, for 1 winger made the team worse. They had to rectify it by trading Gaborik less than a year later to bring in another center (and improve the team elsewhere). My line, when we were talking about the Nash trade back then, was 1 roster player and not two.

The Nash trade was extremely lopsided in our favor.

Erixon amounted to nothing, Anisimov didn't hit more than 45 points after leaving the Rangers, Dubinsky didn't hit more than 50 and the first round pick ended up being a bust.

In fact, we got the first and second best asset from the trade as the conditional pick we got was used to draft Buchnevich.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Trading McDonagh for spare parts. We'd be able to afford his current contract because we wouldn't have needed to trade for Trouba.

We'd have a top four of McDonagh-Fox, Lindgren-DeAngelo, which is more than respectable.

Nahh, want no part of McDonagh and his contract. He is nowhere near as good as he was in 2012-14. Which is so long ago now it's amazing he still has the reputation he earned during that two year peak. Tampa will regret that within the few years. Trouba is younger and is now actually getting kinda underrated around here.

Even without Trouba I still would not want to have McDonagh on our books.

Of all the players we traded away the only one we really should have found a way to keep was Hayes.

And we still have Nils coming up from that trade. I wouldnt want to not have him by un doing it. Howden and Hajek have been disappointing for sure though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nahh, want no part of McDonagh and his contract. He is nowhere near as good as he was in 2012-14, Tampa will regret that within the next 2 years. Trouba is younger and is now actually getting kinda underrated around here.

Last season was his second best season. I know people say he's declined a lot, and while I don't disagree that he probably won't ever replicate his best season in 2014, I still think he's easily a top 20 defensemen in the game. He's had some injuries, but he's only 30, and we desperately need to improve the left side of our defense. His contract might look bad in 4-5 years, but so might Trouba's. I would've preferred our defense a lot more if we didn't trade McDonagh, spent the big defensemen contract money on his contract, and had our extra 2019 first. And while we might've not drafted Lundkvist, we can't say for sure how that draft would've turned out without that pick from Tampa. Maybe we would've picked Lundkvist instead of Miller.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Last season was his second best season. I know people say he's declined a lot, and while I don't disagree that he probably won't ever replicate his best season in 2014, I still think he's easily a top 20 defensemen in the game. He's had some injuries, but he's only 30, and we desperately need to improve the left side of our defense. His contract might look bad in 4-5 years, but so might Trouba's. I would've preferred our defense a lot more if we didn't trade McDonagh, spent the big defensemen contract money on his contract, and had our extra 2019 first. And while we might've not drafted Lundkvist, we can't say for sure how that draft would've turned out without that pick from Tampa. Maybe we would've picked Lundkvist instead of Miller.

He had a good season if you were just looking at his point totals which was inflated like the entire TB offense. He was atrocious in the playoffs, go back and look at the highlights, he is on the ice for the majority of CBJ's goals.

That trade kickstarted the entire rebuild by the way. He actually should have been traded right behind Stepan instead of signing Shattenkirk with the half in half out BS plan Gorton thought he could get away with that season.

We probably lost a lot of value in that deal but I honestly wouldn't change a thing other than Miller being dealt separately for another 1st.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had a good season if you were just looking at his point totals which was inflated like the entire TB offense. He was atrocious in the playoffs, go back and look at the highlights, he is on the ice for the majority of CBJ's goals.

He was better defensively than he was offensively last season. He was tremendous. He was in the Norris conversation for a reason last season.

That whole team had a terrible playoffs.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The Nash trade was extremely lopsided in our favor.

Erixon amounted to nothing, Anisimov didn't hit more than 45 points after leaving the Rangers, Dubinsky didn't hit more than 50 and the first round pick ended up being a bust.

In fact, we got the first and second best asset from the trade as the conditional pick we got was used to draft Buchnevich.

And despite all that, the trade made the Rangers a worse team.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
What’s incredible is that in so many of the trades being brought up, the majority of fanbases greatly disapproved of the trades when the trades were made.

For the Bruins, it’s definitely the Seguin trade. Even when Loui was producing, I wasn’t a fan and Chiarelli and the Bruins FO was way too eager to trade Seguin at his lowest possible value coming off a disappointing playoffs.

The other piece of that deal, Reilly Smith, then got pissed away for an awful player in Jimmy Hayes. That trade tree is utterly disastrous for Boston.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Pretty easy: Forsberg for Erat.

Edit: on second thought, considering the butterfly effect, maybe I’d let this one stand. If McPhee never made that awful trade, maybe he doesn’t get let go. Then....no McLellan, probably no Trotz, no Oshie, no Niskanen, no Orpik. Almost certainly no Cup. So while the trade itself was awful, the end result was a good one.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Some of those “clowns” still with the team. A very good team I might add. With a lot of success over the past decade. And were they wrong? Obviously the return was garbage, but they weren’t wrong.

Weren’t wrong about what? That Seguin was immature? Yeah, sure.

You’re still the FO and your job is to at least get decent value out of a trade. Chiarelli’s negotiating skills were jaw droppingly bad.

“Hey so, we want a 1st...but actually I don’t think you have your first, so we would take a second plus a decent prospect”...

It’s like he had no idea he was the guy with the upper hand.

member 300185

Speaking out of turn for habs fans.

How about John Leclair? No one knew that Leclair would turn into a superstar....:sarcasm:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Hall for Larsson

edit actually the picks for Griffin Reinhart as I wanted Barzal and the pick would have gotten him.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And despite all that, the trade made the Rangers a worse team.

All things considered Nash was a pretty big disappointment in NY. Yeah he did pot 40 goals but nowhere near the superstar he was advertised as.

It is a giant shame Dubinsky made himself to seem to be expendable with his abysmal 2012 season. He was getting better every year and we all had him penciled in for his best season yet, at least 60 points, and instead he fell off a cliff and that was the end for him.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
For the Knights:

1.Tatar trade. Although he did end up getting us Patches
2. Gusev trade. Too bad we didn't have any cap space too.
3. Lehner trade. This one depends on what happens in the future. But as of now, it seems like the Knights gave away assets for just 3 games of Lehner.

Reactions: HabsQC

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Even though I think bigger blunders happened before this time period,
It seems as so, that the Kadri deal, could result in nothing.
Verhaeghe (et al.) for Grabner, was another of Lou's missteps.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Sharks:

The Karlsson trade. He hasn't been worth half of his $11.5m this year, and I really doubt he will get better over the next 7 seasons. I'd rather have my first round draft pick, Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, and Balcers back.

Reactions: HabsQC

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Pretty doubtful the Leafs would have been smart or lucky enough to select either or both of Rakell and/or Gibson, but it was a foolish transaction none the less.

Mayfield and Jenner would've been better too.
For sure Hamilton or Brodin at #9
2011 overall sucked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad