If you could reverse one trade your team made since 2010, which would it be?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Weird as it is to say we don't have many disaster trades lately. I'm not going to lose sleep over the Kadri trade or 2nd round picks for playoff Centers. Our big mistakes typically come at free agency. You go back to the Burke era and then we have a nice list of disasters.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Preds... there are I think 3 big candidates:

Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen
At the time, though, Johansen was a 6'3" center coming off two nice seasons with the BJ's and just 23 years old when we desperately needed both a #1 and a #2 C. Jones was a 3rd pair D for us with lots of upside, but... we needed the C a lot more. Such a classic "needs"-based deal. Obviously in hindsight Jones has turned out a lot better. At the time it was basically a no-brainer for us, though.

Kevin Fiala for Mikael Granlund
Most people laughed at Fenton for this one, how could they give up Granlund for "just" Fiala? But who is the better player today, and a retainable RFA? Sigh. Everybody preferred Granlund when it was made. Again, a no-brainer at the time that didn't pan out in hindsight.

Samuel Girard + Vladislav Kamenev + 2nd for Kyle Turris
Sort of the mini- version of the Jones/Johansen trade. We also didn't have a #2C. Girard wasn't ever going to play ahead of Josi and Ekholm for us. Today, Girard is better. Another "needs"-based trade that looked good at the time.

Right now... I would reverse the Jones/Johansen deal. We dealt Subban and have an opening on RD. Jones has become an elite top-pair RD. Johansen is overpaid for what he does as a #1C. He has filled a need for us and been a good player, but not similar value to a top-10 #1 RD. Plus we were able to sign Duchene as to be our new overpaid #1C. So I'd reverse this one foremost, with the benefit of hindsight.

Without Johansen, the Preds don't go to the SCF! They needed more scoring. The Preds have 65 G by Joey. I think that Nashville won that trade.
Jones is a good Dman, with a total of 15 goals in his last two NHL seasons. He had 16 goals in the previous season, so his offense is trending down.

The Fiala - Granlund trade isn't over yet. It depends on what the Preds can get out of Granlund one way or the other. Fiala is looking better today.

I agree with the Turris trade. From the Avs point of view, they got Kam for a few games and he broke his arm. He has 64 NHL games in 3 years. The Avs have 11 G by Girard, Kam has 3 G. Turris has 29 G since the trade. Turris should have 20+ a season!

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Without Johansen, the Preds don't go to the SCF! They needed more scoring. The Preds have 65 G by Joey. I think that Nashville won that trade.
Jones is a good Dman, with a total of 15 goals in his last two NHL seasons. He had 16 goals in the previous season, so his offense is trending down.

The Fiala - Granlund trade isn't over yet. It depends on what the Preds can get out of Granlund one way or the other. Fiala is looking better today.

I agree with the Turris trade. From the Avs point of view, they got Kam for a few games and he broke his arm. He has 64 NHL games in 3 years. The Avs have 11 G by Girard, Kam has 3 G. Turris has 29 G since the trade. Turris should have 20+ a season!
That's the cool thing about some of these trades, and the Jones/Johansen was such a classic. We don't go to the SCF... and that's the pinnacle of our success as a franchise to date, and it really meant a lot to our franchise and fans... and to everybody else it is nearly forgotten already. However Jones is a tangibly better player today than Johansen, and probably will be for the forseeable future. And in isolation, that's all that most other fans see. That sort of past-success thing is real hard to measure, and most fans of other teams will come along and immediately say that was a total steal for CBJ, end of story. And if any of us Nashville fans come along and argue that maybe it was actually ok, they just laugh at us as blinded homers. That's what makes it fascinating.

I'd still reverse it, because even a trip to the SCF, while our best thing ever, was still not the ultimate success, and I still want to see the team actually win the SC... which Jones provides a better chance of helping us do as of today than Johansen does. I now know that we didn't win the SC with Johansen (albeit his injury :( ). And he's definitely not trending up right now either. So I'd take my chances with Jones instead, looking forward. But it's all just because of the "looking forward" part of things... not the looking back. We did win looking back on it. Just not by enough. So looking forward takes precedence now for me.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Flyers : acquiring Bryzgalov and trading Bob for a 2nd round pick. Just keep Bobrovsky instead.

Honorable mention : JVR for L.Schenn

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Isles trading Bill Muckalt plus Zdeno Chara and 2001 1st round pick (#2-Jason Spezza) for Alexei Yashin.

Yashin had 5 solid years but the Isles did not know what they had with Chara and could have had with Spezza.

Isles did not draft till the 4th round that year but picked 8 players - None of the eight played a single game in the NHL. They also traded a pick to the Flyers who used that to get Jordan Tootoo.

Matchbox 18

Oct 12, 2018
The senators trading #16 overall(Tarasenko) to the blues for David rundblad at the 2010 draft is one Ottawa probably regrets

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Hmm as a Flyers fans it's between 3.​
Andrew MacDonald for a 2nd (Brandon Carlo) and a 3rd (Ilya Sorokin)​
Luke Schenn for JVR​
Sergei Bobrovsky for a 2nd and 2 4th round picks.​
I'd probably reverse the A-Mac trade as long as we pick Carlo and Sorokin with those picks.​

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

The Jones/Ryjo trade was horrible for Nashville.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Sekera for a 1st in either 2015 or 2016. Had the Kings made the playoffs in 2015, they give up the 2015 pick, and who cares. But because they missed, they kept the 2015 pick(because it was a lottery pick in the McDavid draft), and it gave Lombardi an asset to work with. Heading into the 15-16 season, the Kings would've had no pick. So, he went and traded the 2015 pick(after the lottery) for Lucic, because you still have the majority of a 2 time champ coming back, and you get only so many realistic kicks at the can. The Kings ended up with 1 playoff win in return for 1st round picks in 2015 and 2016. Most blame the Lucic trade in and of itself, but the path started earlier.

Of course if Voynov doesn't do what he did, Sekera is likely never traded for, and who knows how things play out after that.

Reactions: PuckerUpDude

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Drouin is a good player, so it's not a "terrible trade", value wise, but Sergatchev would look mighty fine with Weber.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There hasn’t been too many bad trades for the Avs recently, but the worst one is probably the O’Reilly deal. Colorado still has two roster players on the team from that trade, but Zadorov is pretty bad and Compher isn’t near the player O’Reilly is.

Though, I wouldn’t take the trade back, because it led to the ineptitude that landed us Makar in the draft.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
For the Pens 2 come to mind.

Kessel to Phoenix for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph. AG is so much worse than anyone could ever imagine. And to think that Wild agreed to a Kessel for Zucker trade, which Kessel unfortunately rejected.

Brassard trade. JR gave up a TON of assets for Brassard who was a bad 3c and never contributed in any capacity. Sure JR partially made up for it by acquiring McCann for Brassard, but sending a 1st, top G prospect, Cole, Reaves for a mediocre 50-60 point center is massive overpayment.

Yeah, the Brassard trade was the worst. Dismantling the defense further than they already did was just killer.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Isles trading Bill Muckalt plus Zdeno Chara and 2001 1st round pick (#2-Jason Spezza) for Alexei Yashin.

Yashin had 5 solid years but the Isles did not know what they had with Chara and could have had with Spezza.

Isles did not draft till the 4th round that year but picked 8 players - None of the eight played a single game in the NHL. They also traded a pick to the Flyers who used that to get Jordan Tootoo.

Islanders had a lot of awful trades in the 90's and early 2000's. Surprisingly I don't think the Yashin trade is in the top 3.

They gave away Luongo, Jokinen, Kvasha, Palffy, Berard, etc. It's quite impressive at how bad they've been managed for the better part of 20 years.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If RyJo was healthy the Preds win the cup that year easily.

Why?

Had the Pens/Preds had all of their players does the outcome change?

You are making it like the Pens weren't without, didn't have guys missing, too. Injuries. Had the Pens been healthy and not knocked down a peg or two from constant targeting and injuries through the playoffs themselves "on top of not having Letang at all" the Preds are probably more in line of getting curb stomped.

Reactions: Foppberg

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why?

Had the Pens/Preds had all of their players does the outcome change?

You are making it like the Pens weren't without, didn't have guys missing, too. Injuries. Had the Pens been healthy and not knocked down a peg or two from constant targeting and injuries through the playoffs themselves "on top of not having Letang at all" the Preds are probably more in line of getting curb stomped.

RyJo was healthy until like a week before the finals. That top line was a force.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
Islanders had a lot of awful trades in the 90's and early 2000's. Surprisingly I don't think the Yashin trade is in the top 3.

They gave away Luongo, Jokinen, Kvasha, Palffy, Berard, etc. It's quite impressive at how bad they've been managed for the better part of 20 years.
Kvasha was terrible.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

Jones isn't just a good defenceman - he is one of the best in the league at 25. No question that Nashville lost that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->