If you could reverse one trade your team made since 2010, which would it be?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If Miller for Namestnikov really was a separate swap just thrown into the larger McDonagh trade, then that.

Wouldnt undo the full trade even though Hajek and Howden have been underwhelming, that would mean we'd lose Nils and that was the trade that kickstarted every other move and we wouldnt be where we are today without those moves.

Miller should have been moved in a separate deal for another 1st. We practically gave him away for free.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
For the Oilers...

olc7i.jpg

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
As a Flames fan, 2 real possibilities:

1. 2012 1st round pick to Buffalo for later picks that became Mark Jankowski and Patrick Sieloff. Even then, if the Flames scouting is high on Jankowski and Sieloff, they probably aren't making the right choice at #12, which was probably Hertl or Teravainen. If the Flames really wanted a big power forward, they could have taken Tom Wilson.

2. Travis Hamonic from Isles for 2018 1st round pick and two 2nds. This isn't even that bad. That 2018 draft is not looking good right now. Hamonic has been a solid contributor to the team. He's suffered some injuries, due to his style of play, which have set him back. So the trade looks worse in hindsight. It's hard to say the Flames would be a better team minus Hamonic and plus....Dobson? Joel Farabee is literally the only player outside of the top 7 from the 2018 draft that's managed to solidify themselves as a full time NHLer. I know it's early, but that draft was not good. So really this isn't that bad of a move. Certainly not when compared to some of the other examples in this thread.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Schneider for NJs 9th overall, as long as we also drafted Bo Horvat with that pick.

Even forget who the 9th overall pick was, I think the fallout the following years is what makes that the worst trade we've had over the last 10 years. He sunk our draft pick in the McDavid and Matthews years. The Devils those 2 years were trash, held up by a top ~5 goalie at that time. Then when they come back around to being playoff-worthy, his play falls off a cliff. There's not many more ways that trade could have gone worse.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Preds... there are I think 3 big candidates:

Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen
At the time, though, Johansen was a 6'3" center coming off two nice seasons with the BJ's and just 23 years old when we desperately needed both a #1 and a #2 C. Jones was a 3rd pair D for us with lots of upside, but... we needed the C a lot more. Such a classic "needs"-based deal. Obviously in hindsight Jones has turned out a lot better. At the time it was basically a no-brainer for us, though.

Kevin Fiala for Mikael Granlund
Most people laughed at Fenton for this one, how could they give up Granlund for "just" Fiala? But who is the better player today, and a retainable RFA? Sigh. Everybody preferred Granlund when it was made. Again, a no-brainer at the time that didn't pan out in hindsight.

Samuel Girard + Vladislav Kamenev + 2nd for Kyle Turris
Sort of the mini- version of the Jones/Johansen trade. We also didn't have a #2C. Girard wasn't ever going to play ahead of Josi and Ekholm for us. Today, Girard is better. Another "needs"-based trade that looked good at the time.

Right now... I would reverse the Jones/Johansen deal. We dealt Subban and have an opening on RD. Jones has become an elite top-pair RD. Johansen is overpaid for what he does as a #1C. He has filled a need for us and been a good player, but not similar value to a top-10 #1 RD. Plus we were able to sign Duchene as to be our new overpaid #1C. So I'd reverse this one foremost, with the benefit of hindsight.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
[NYR/CAR] Aleksi Saarela, 2016 2nd, 2017 2nd for Eric Staal

None of those assets really became anything but AV barely used Staal. It was just a total waste of assets.

Get this: AV gave Staal 16:15 ATOI. That’s less than when he was 19-years-old.

Reactions: CanuckCity

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Sens : Bobby Ryan, Hoffman, Duchene, Stone, Zibby. Take your pick.

Of those names, toss-up between Stone and Zibanejad, but I think I would lean Stone as the whole "change of venue" may have had some impact on Zibby's development.

I thought Stone would be an excellent leader for the team going through a rebuild, if we were willing to pay him (and by all accounts he was willing to stay).

Reactions: bert

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Erat for Forsberg

Nah. That desperation trade was probably the final nail in GMGMs coffin. He wasted OV's peak years because he somehow couldn't see what we all could, that we needed D and goaltending. That trade led to him and Oates getting fired, GMBM and Trotz getting hired and our eventual cup (we also wouldn't have Oshie if we had Forsberg). So at the time yeah it was stupid, but it worked out fine and I wouldn't change a thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->