If you could reverse one trade your team made since 2010, which would it be?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
For the Pens 2 come to mind.

Kessel to Phoenix for Galchenyuk and PO Joseph. AG is so much worse than anyone could ever imagine. And to think that Wild agreed to a Kessel for Zucker trade, which Kessel unfortunately rejected.

Brassard trade. JR gave up a TON of assets for Brassard who was a bad 3c and never contributed in any capacity. Sure JR partially made up for it by acquiring McCann for Brassard, but sending a 1st, top G prospect, Cole, Reaves for a mediocre 50-60 point center is massive overpayment.
To be honest we also wouldn't have taken Kessel if we knew he would decline so rappidly.
We should have traded Galchenyuk for something else.
Maybe some Waffles or a case of Oktoberfestbier.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
To be honest we also wouldn't have taken Kessel if we knew he would decline so rappidly.
We should have traded Galchenyuk for something else.
Maybe some Waffles or a case of Oktoberfestbier.
Not sure I agree. In his 4 seasons in Pittsburgh he had a 90 point season, 82 point season, 70 point season, and 2 Conn Smythe worthy performances in both the Stanley Cup runs. Acquiring Phil was one of the best trades in franchise history.

If anything we dumped Phil just in time. It just sucks that AG was the one coming back.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe recency bias, but I would not trade for Taylor Hall if I was the Yotes.
I think it definitely made sense for the Yotes at the time. Until 2019 the Yotes haven't had a truly good forward in decades. Probably since the days of Roenick and Tkachuk. Kessel was a star until last year, and Hall was a recent league MVP.

Perhaps it didn't work out but the franchise certainly needs an exciting player/name to build around.

Reactions: thethinglonger

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Does it undo everything else that's happened since? Lol.

For the Avs, it's easily Ryan O'Reilly for J.T. Compher, Nikita Zadorov, and a 2nd round pick.

Are we also getting to undo the moronic "take it or leave it" offer that led to ROR holding out and signing the offer sheet with Calgary? Because, otherwise, he'd still have been disgruntled in Denver and most likely would have walked as a UFA.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Too many choices for Chicago.

We get the best player back in Panarin.
But more value in Teuvo or Danault.
So either Teuvo or Danault.

Cataphract

Nov 27, 2018
I think it definitely made sense for the Yotes at the time. Until 2019 the Yotes haven't had a truly good forward in decades. Probably since the days of Roenick and Tkachuk. Kessel was a star until last year, and Hall was a recent league MVP.

Perhaps it didn't work out but the franchise certainly needs an exciting player/name to build around.
It did make sense, but hindsight is 20/20, and now I'd rather have that 1st round pick than an expiring contract.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Doesn't work that way. If we kept that pick it would have been Eriksson Ek.

So yeah, Hall for Larsson by a landslide
Could have been Eriksson Ek, we don't know for sure. Wouldn't have been Barzal, but still could have been Connor or Chabot and we still would have had that other pick.

I am starting to agree with Hall though. We had to trade home eventually I believe, but that trade was made in desperation by Chiarelli to get cap space for Lucic. If we don't trade Hall we likely don't sign Lucic either.

On the other hand, the Hall trade helped us get rid of Chia so maybe it wasn't that bad.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Confirmed now: Taylor Hall is the biggest negative force in the NHL today.
He had a great team, and felt free in his Hart year, then it was back to poisoning the well.
NJ is over .500 without him.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

He had a great team, and felt free in his Hart year, then it was back to poisoning the well.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Oiler fan it is easy

Griffen reinhart for a 1st and 2nd

Even though the first was a freeby pick from the pens the deal is still worse than the Hall trade. No matter what people say about Larsson..we needed D

Mine would be the Hall trade. We could have got a better Dman if we waited. Especially with Chia coking our and saying that he took the first offer he got. With the Reinhart trade we would have drafted Svechnikov or Eriksson Ek which would have essentially been nothing anyways.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Could have been Eriksson Ek, we don't know for sure. Wouldn't have been Barzal, but still could have been Connor or Chabot and we still would have had that other pick.

I am starting to agree with Hall though. We had to trade home eventually I believe, but that trade was made in desperation by Chiarelli to get cap space for Lucic. If we don't trade Hall we likely don't sign Lucic either.

On the other hand, the Hall trade helped us get rid of Chia so maybe it wasn't that bad.

It was Erikkson Ek. It came from the same source that broke the Hall/Larsson deal the day before and many others. Here's one article that references it aswell. The worst of Chiarelli

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Chicago- panarin for saad.
That seems like the obvious answer for the Hawks but they would have realistically only had Panarin for two more seasons before he got the big money and they wouldn't have been able to resign him. The TT trade to remove Bickell's cap seems worse, especially with Bickell having MS and retiring.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Kadri for Barrie, one of the worst trades I've ever witnessed.
and Kerfoot

Probably would have been better as one for one for a Larsson type RHD but it was really time for him to go.

It did not work out great but this is so far from one of the worst trades it's laughable. I have to think you only watch Leaf trades then. Sometimes you can do the right thing and get the wrong result. I think this was one of those times.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
As much as I hated the Kesler trade, the Canucks hands were tied and the stupid post-trade moves are outside the scope of this question. Still not a good trade, though

Moving McCann, a 2nd and a 4th for Gudbranson and a 5th, on the other hand, was just an all around shitshow of unforced errors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad