If you could make a realistic trade who would you bring in?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not sure why anyone wants Virtanen if we have to give up anything more than a fringe player for him. 1 goal in 15 games, and only 36 pts for his career high. He seems more like Perlini than Fabbri to me.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
So I’m completely Disregarding the spirit of the thread, but given the struggles of the sabres, what would you all be willing to give up for Eichel?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So I’m completely Disregarding the spirit of the thread, but given the struggles of the sabres, what would you all be willing to give up for Eichel?

The sun and the moon? You give up a lot. Our 1st and a blue chip prospect like Raymond.

Eichel is a 1st overall in most drafts. Two top 4 picks for that feels fair as a foundation. Or if they want immediate help you offer Bert or Mantha. Basically whatever. It gets stickier if Larkin is needed, but that really wouldn't stop me either, just change the adds.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The sun and the moon? You give up a lot. Our 1st and a blue chip prospect like Raymond.

Eichel is a 1st overall in most drafts. Two top 4 picks for that feels fair as a foundation. Or if they want immediate help you offer Bert or Mantha. Basically whatever. It gets stickier if Larkin is needed, but that really wouldn't stop me either, just change the adds.

My first thought was Mantha/Bert + 2021 1st + Zadina/Raymond + any prospect not named Seider.

I’d also do Larkin ++

for players like Eichel you don’t really get to have “untouchables” but I wouldn’t do a deal involving Seider. Anything else is fair game imo.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My first thought was Mantha/Bert + 2021 1st + Zadina/Raymond + any prospect not named Seider.

I’d also do Larkin ++

for players like Eichel you don’t really get to have “untouchables” but I wouldn’t do a deal involving Seider. Anything else is fair game imo.
I get that you gotta give to get, but seems counterproductive.

the Ole fill a giant hole & create 2-3 big holes isn't appealing. Just back up the Brinks truck @ Barkov & Werenski. Look for Buy Low options like Roslovic etc. in the interim. Package picks/prospects for upgrades. SY will surprise us with a few good trades within 1-2 years, not necessarily blockbusters, but solid win trades.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I get that you gotta give to get, but seems counterproductive.

the Ole fill a giant hole & create 2-3 big fholes isn't appealing. Just back up the Brinks truck @ Barkov & Werenski. Look for Buy Low options like Roslovic etc. in the interim. Package picks/prospects for upgrades. SY will surprise us with a few good trades within 1-2 years, not necessarily blockbusters, but solid win trades.

I’m normally pretty reluctant to do these kind of moves for the exact reason you mentioned. But Eichel represents a caliber of player beyond anything we have in the organization.

With Zadina, Raymond, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Berggren, and possibly a guys like Fabbri and Rasmussen, we have 6 or 7 guys that could play wing in your top 6. Moving 2 of those plus a 1st and someone like Veleno (who becomes somewhat redundant behind Eichel and Larkin, I feel like we are trading from a position of strength while filling a massive need. In theory you still have a top 6 along the lines of

Bertuzzi - Eichel - Zadina
Berggren - Larkin - Fabbri/Rasmussen.

Then you still have developing pieces like Soderblom, Mastrosimone and 3 2nd round picks to grab some additional firepower with. I think that gives us a lot to work with and raises the overall ceiling of this team.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
https://thehockeywriters.com/red-wings-3-sell-high-candidates/ heres an article with 3 players this guy thinks we should trade take a look and let me know what you think?

I am not emotionally tied to any of these guys, but let me speak on the latter two.

Bertuzzi is a guy who likely never brings back what he provides. I would need a damn good prospect in return. Someone who hasn’t made it yet, but has the upside. I think of someone like Peyton Krebs or Alex Newhook. And yes, that probably feels lofty, but Bertuzzi is a glue guy and one who has a knack for producing in the ways that a classically defined “first liner” doesn’t tend to. So you can spread your offense and let Bertuzzi fill in as the third guy, who mucks it up, thinks at a high enough level, and adds a dimension most top lines don’t have.

Berggren my one piece of input is simple: what exactly do you want back? A draft pick? Berggren probably is a mid to late first round pick if we hit the redo button. So are we going to take back picks to maybe get another Berggren? Not likely. And we really have no reason to move him for a roster player...unless he’s a piece of a bigger package to get a young stud. Realistically Berggren is ready to come to North America at the end of the year and be in the NHL by 2022-23 season start. I don’t see where the value comes around selling now. But then again, I see him being an NHLer and there’s a lot of things to like about the pace and feel he has for the offensive game on the wing. I don’t want to punt now.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I’m normally pretty reluctant to do these kind of moves for the exact reason you mentioned. But Eichel represents a caliber of player beyond anything we have in the organization.

With Zadina, Raymond, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Berggren, and possibly a guys like Fabbri and Rasmussen, we have 6 or 7 guys that could play wing in your top 6. Moving 2 of those plus a 1st and someone like Veleno (who becomes somewhat redundant behind Eichel and Larkin, I feel like we are trading from a position of strength while filling a massive need. In theory you still have a top 6 along the lines of

Then you still have developing pieces like Soderblom, Mastrosimone and 3 2nd round picks to grab some additional firepower with. I think that gives us a lot to work with and raises the overall ceiling of this team.
In scenario #2 (Larks ++), Larks is a virtual non-starter, unless McJesus is coming back. The "++" would be Fabbri & Bert? (trade value, not necessarily those 2). That was way too much. If BUF needs to dump or have change of scenery trade/whatever, they can't demand too much, even with an All-Star Eichel. EK's return (I know RFA vs. pending UFA), but still, it was EK who was close to his old self (not defensively b/c of ankle/skating), but not too far off. He's down 1.5 notches from prime already.

In scenario #1, 2 blue chips + 1st line W. Too rich for my blood.

I present to you the Ole Quantity for Quality Trade Vs.21

I'd do '21 1st (unprotected) +2nd +3rd +McIssac+Ras+Cholo+Tuomisto+Hirose. + Take on a $mall/short-term cap dump too. +Retain 50% on all players.

Still not enough? Ok, add some of our vets we'd sell @ TDL, Ryan, so they can flip...for a 2nd/propsect?

Get Creative, i.e., Maybe they like LGD? do a sign & trade (agreed to in advance by Luke).

Don't trade: Top5F, Hronek/Seider/JV/Berggren/AlJo/Lindstrom.

We're too depleted on the main roster to be trading the aformentioned....so much so that if we did, Eichel likely leaves in UFA/demands trade prior to.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Buffalo won't trade Eichel unless a center is coming back their way in the package. For this trade to work you'd have to include Larkin. That Buffalo team is loaded on the wing. Thin on D and in net.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I would take back Skinner if it meant giving up much less.
upload_2021-2-18_19-53-36.png

Skinner is ~top 3-ish Bad Contract. 7 seasons @ $9M per. That's a franchise killer. Unless they're only getting back Ras+2nd+Hirose or similar caliber BS offer, screw that.

To me Skinner is the perfect example of contract year/buyer beware (too F'ing late now BUF). Funny how his declining production was after signing a fat contract. Now he has 1pt/12gp. We'd have to eat 50% just to let him go for dirt cheap, but we'd have Eichel & $4.5caphit through '27. Twenty-Seven!

Last edited:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

Wonder if the Wings would be a team with interest here. Listed at 6’1 227, right hand shot. Never really got a crack at center in the NHL.

Not an uncommon thought for Yzerman to target someone in this age range calling out of favor. Looking at Fabbri/Perlini.

Maybe taking on that Loui contract, being a problem solver for the Canucks at a price.

So you're saying there's a chance... Loui and Jake to Detroit for something and Wings fans would accept it?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
- Red Wings trade C Luke Glendening, LW/RW Mathias Brome, RW Bobby Ryan, G Jonathan Bernier, and their 2nd rdp.
- Oilers trade C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who signs a 6 year 7.5 million dollar contract.

- Red Wings trade their 3rd rdp and LHD Dennis Cholowski.
- St. Louis trade LHD Vince Dunn.

- Red Wings trade RW Anthony Mantha, LW/RW Filip Zadina, RHD Filip Hronek, RW Lucas Raymond, 2021 1st rdp, and 2022 1st round pick.
- Sabres trade C Jack Eichel and LW Jeff Skinner

- Red Wings trade LHD Eric Staal.
- Panthers trade G Sergei Bobrovsky, their 1st rdp, and 1st rdp in 2022.

Any of these trades seem "realistic". I know none are likely but are they in the "realm"/"ball-park"?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
- Red Wings trade C Luke Glendening, LW/RW Mathias Brome, RW Bobby Ryan, G Jonathan Bernier, and their 2nd rdp.
- Oilers trade C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who signs a 6 year 7.5 million dollar contract.

- Red Wings trade RW Anthony Mantha, LW/RW Filip Zadina, RHD Filip Hronek, RW Lucas Raymond, 2021 1st rdp, and 2022 1st round pick.

Any of these trades seem "realistic". I know none are likely but are they in the "realm"/"ball-park"?
#2 seems to be the most realistic. Assuming that Bobrovsky won't waive for Detroit and I don't think we we would ever give up that much for Eichel (think Phaneuf/Kessel fiasco in Toronto), and I don't think we need to give up that much for RNH. Probably Glenny, a 2nd and a mid-level prospect or Brome.

Reactions: Snuggs

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
CGY-DET

Hanifin+Monahan for Mantha + '21 1st (1OA protected)

BOS-DET

DeBrusk(24) + Gryz (27) for Mantha(26) + 3rd.

I like the CGY trade better for us.
@ Trade Board: someone proposed JD+B's 1st for Mantha+3rd.

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
CGY-DET

Hanifin+Monahan for Mantha + '21 1st (1OA protected)

BOS-DET

DeBrusk(24) + Gryz (27) for Mantha(26) + 3rd.

I like the CGY trade better for us.
@ Trade Board: someone proposed JD+B's 1st for Mantha+3rd.
I actually like the BOS-DET trade for both teams. Boston gets a prototypical big-body forward with hands and we get a more shoot-first kind of player and a defensive upgrade.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I actually like the BOS-DET trade for both teams. Boston gets a prototypical big-body forward with hands and we get a more shoot-first kind of player and a defensive upgrade.
Actually though with CGY, we get a very good 2C (very consistent) that can play 1C also...a huge need for us.

Then add Hanifin who is also an upgrade to any of our current D. Plus he's LD & youngish, under control.

The fit is far better than the BOS package.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Actually though with CGY, we get a very good 2C (very consistent) that can play 1C also...a huge need for us.

Then add Hanifin who is also an upgrade to any of our current D. Plus he's LD & youngish, under control.

The fit is far better than the BOS package.
Yeah....I'm just not sold on Hanifin, enough to give a 1st rounder, even if it is protected.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Gotta tell ya, #3 is just bat shit crazy.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I hope we can do better than DeBrusk. he's a decent middle six guy. Grzelcyk is a borderline minor leaguer.
I hope to hell we do better than that.

I’m just not sure what Mantha is anymore. And the longer he remains an enigma, the more I believe you have to start thinking you have to trade him for something, before he just leaves via Free Agency.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I’m just not sure what Mantha is anymore. And the longer he remains an enigma, the more I believe you have to start thinking you have to trade him for something, before he just leaves via Free Agency.

I said last year the smart play was to trade Mantha at the deadline.
Why? Because I didn't really see him as a future piece and I thought his trade value was never, ever, ever going to be higher.
1) He was in the midst of his most productive year.
2) The team that bought him could have the rights to lock him up for a long time, or for 3-4 years.

Now we're looking at Mantha with 5 goals and 9 points through 21 games. That's less than a 20G 40PT pace. He's been benched once.
What's his value like now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad