If we get 3rd overall pick, who would you want?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you think Strome is a first line C you take him. If you don't then selecting a Hanifin who solidifies our D for the next decade is very very easy.

I know the Kings don't win two cups without Doughty and Voynov. I know the Hawks don't win a cup without Keith and Seabrook. I know the Penguins won't win a cup because their D can't move the puck up the ice and they have two of the best forwards in the world.

You need good D to enable the forwards to be successful. It's the lesson the Oilers have failed to learn in the past decade and why they perpetually suck.

This is all true.

But then I look at the last sure-bet defenseman we drafted in the first round and what's happening with him and I think, "You know, waiting until later in the 1st round to get a D guy wouldn't be so bad."

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
If you think Strome is a first line C you take him. If you don't then selecting a Hanifin who solidifies our D for the next decade is very very easy.

I know the Kings don't win two cups without Doughty and Voynov. I know the Hawks don't win a cup without Keith and Seabrook. I know the Penguins won't win a cup because their D can't move the puck up the ice and they have two of the best forwards in the world.

You need good D to enable the forwards to be successful. It's the lesson the Oilers have failed to learn in the past decade and why they perpetually suck.

Drafting D with our highest pick seems boring but you are right. And the Oilers just got their next Gretzky to add to a pretty good offense and I don't see how we will out-gun them. We need a D that is as good as their offence and the best goal tending we can find.

I do wish Hanifin shot R but no go there. What does Provorov shoot and what is his game like? Does he hit, block, dangle, clear the crease, shoot with accuracy?

Also, what is it that ranks Hanafin so high? Is he really so good that we would be foolish to pass him up? I ask because I do not know.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Drafting D with our highest pick seems boring but you are right. And the Oilers just got their next Gretzky to add to a pretty good offense and I don't see how we will out-gun them. We need a D that is as good as their offence and the best goal tending we can find.

I do wish Hanifin shot R but no go there. What does Provorov shoot and what is his game like? Does he hit, block, dangle, clear the crease, shoot with accuracy?

Also, what is it that ranks Hanafin so high? Is he really so good that we would be foolish to pass him up? I ask because I do not know.

Hanifin is ranked so high because of his truly elite skating and he also has incredibly high hockey IQ. He has the size, smarts, and skating to be a #1D in the NHL. People worry about his offensive upside and his shot is seen as being non-elite. He is going to be really really good, but if the team feels that one of Gormley, Moore, or Dhalbeck can be a second pairing LHD, I think we have to take Strome

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Hanifin is ranked so high because of his truly elite skating and he also has incredibly high hockey IQ. He has the size, smarts, and skating to be a #1D in the NHL. People worry about his offensive upside and his shot is seen as being non-elite. He is going to be really really good, but if the team feels that one of Gormley, Moore, or Dhalbeck can be a second pairing LHD, I think we have to take Strome
I personally do not think any of what we have will do as well as what Hanifin. I have heard some scouts say he is the best defensive prospect that has been available in years. If that's true, and I compare that to Eckblad, I think WOW! We must do this.
But I don't know if everyone sees him that high and if he is, is that too much investment in a second pairing? Then I say again, how could we not do this? It might be the only pick we can make that would tilt the balance back to even when we play Edmonton if that makes any sense.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Provorov plays like OEL. A tad undersized but he plays with some grit. He has some offense (near PPG in junior) but he's mistake free in his own zone and can effectively move puck up the ice. Uses long stick to poke check.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
I'd be completely on board for taking Strome then using our first from Chicago to get the best D available, perhaps even trading up if possible and necessary.

kingbrutis

Jul 21, 2005
Hope a team falls in love with someone at 3 and trade back a spot or 2. GMDM plays poker and wins. We still get better and get a contract dump or another pick.

McCluffin

Jan 15, 2015
Victoria, BC
As much as Strome and Marner are great offensive players, lets just take a look at the coyotes prospects. They have Domi, Duclair, Perlini and Dvorak all in the waiting. And when it comes to D prospects, they dont really have anyone. Sure they have Gormley and murphy playing, but besides that the cupboard is pretty empty. So, that is why I think they should really consider taking Hanifin. The yotes strength for so long was D, and they need to think about replenishing that stock.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
And when it comes to D prospects, they dont really have anyone. Sure they have Gormley and murphy playing, but besides that the cupboard is pretty empty. So, that is why I think they should really consider taking Hanifin. The yotes strength for so long was D, and they need to think about replenishing that stock.

There is Top 4 defensive talent outside the first round, you know. RHDs with size too. Jeremy Roy, Brandon Carlo, and heck maybe Oliver Kylington may be around at Chicago's pick as well.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
As much as Strome and Marner are great offensive players, lets just take a look at the coyotes prospects. They have Domi, Duclair, Perlini and Dvorak all in the waiting. And when it comes to D prospects, they dont really have anyone. Sure they have Gormley and murphy playing, but besides that the cupboard is pretty empty. So, that is why I think they should really consider taking Hanifin. The yotes strength for so long was D, and they need to think about replenishing that stock.

Why doesn't the roster matter? When talking about young players, you can look at the roster and literally list every defenseman on it. (Well, not Campbell) Young forwards? Rieder, Boedker and.....? Young centers? None.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hanifin, Provorov, and Werenski are all lefties.

Werenski plays the right and Maloney inserting him into that group of 6 he mentioned makes me think Werenski is the target if they trade down.

But teams are built down the center. You'd be dumb to not take the center. Wouldn't even matter if Hanifin ends up being the better player. At some point you just need a gd center.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
This picture just needs to be posted:

FX5J2r3.jpg

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
There is Top 4 defensive talent outside the first round, you know. RHDs with size too. Jeremy Roy, Brandon Carlo, and heck maybe Oliver Kylington may be around at Chicago's pick as well.

Plus it's easier to get top 4 defensemen after the first round than it is to get top six forwards.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Werenski plays the right and Maloney inserting him into that group of 6 he mentioned makes me think Werenski is the target if they trade down.

But teams are built down the center. You'd be dumb to not take the center. Wouldn't even matter if Hanifin ends up being the better player. At some point you just need a gd center.

I say you build from the net out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why doesn't the roster matter? When talking about young players, you can look at the roster and literally list every defenseman on it. (Well, not Campbell) Young forwards? Rieder, Boedker and.....? Young centers? None.

Good centers are very hard to get, no doubt, but even DM said our D chemistry was not very good, and he is looking for a couple of D. Who knows what will happen, we have so many holes to fill.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Anyone who's watched a decent amount of Marner want to opine on his potential of playing center vs. wing? So far as I can tell the assumption he'll play wing in the NHL seems to be almost entirely based on size rather then aptitude at the center spot. His measurables aren't that far off many other successful NHL centers, especially if he has some growing room to fill out his frame still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad