If we get 3rd overall pick, who would you want?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Strome-

What's the saying? "The best defense is a good offense"
I'm tired of the 'Yotes being outshot 2 to 1 every fricking game. I've said it a lot that you are not going to win many games by not putting of few pucks on net.

All of you who think Hanifin is going to be the second coming of Bobby Orr need to wake up and smell the coffee. He will need to "percolate, cook, season" in the AHL before he even sniffs the NHL with our management's track record. By that time you might be rooting for him in another city...

If defense is the 'true' base of this team, why trade Yandle? Oh I see, to get more draft picks to get another D-man who might help??

Nobody has claimed Hanifin will play next year in NHL.

Yandles next contract starts with a 7 or 8. That was the issue.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
We all want the Coyotes to contend for a cup in the 'near' future.

In order to do that, we have to be 'great' down the middle, have a goalie be great in the playoffs and have a stud on the backend.

'14 Kings (Kopitar/Carter - Doughty)
'13 Hawks (Toews/Sharp - Keith/Seabrook)
'12 Kings (Kopitar/Carter - Doughty)
'11 Bruins (Bergeron/Seguin/Krejci - Chara)
'10 Hawks (Toews/Sharp - Keith/Seabrook)
'09 Penguins (Crosby/Malkin - Letang/Gonchar)
'08 Wings (Datsyuk/Filppula/Franzen - Lidstrom)

Well, we've got our 'stud' on the backend with OEL, what we're missing is the centers to compete. Strome and if Dvorak can pan out then we've got our squad moving forward.

If some of the wingers can work out: Domi/Perlini/Duclair/Rieder/Bunting then we're looking pretty good. We do need more on the back-end, but I see Murphy becoming a RH monster in 3 years time and Stone can more than hold his own as #2 guy.

Right now, our most important need is Center, followed by RW, followed by RHD

If we can land Strome and then Juulsen (hits like a truck) and Boeser then we will have had a extremely strong draft.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
At some point we need to take a center, so we can actually compete with the other teams in our division. The center's in the Pacific who are good right now, or will be good, very soon are;

Edmonton: McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl
San Jose: Thornton, Couture, Pavelski
Calgary: Bennett, Monahan
Los Angeles: Kopitar, Carter
Vancouver: Sedin, Horvat
Anaheim: Getzlaf, Kesler
Arizona: Hanzal

Putting Hanzal in that grouping is even pushing it, and Marty's only good for 50 games a season.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At some point we need to take a center, so we can actually compete with the other teams in our division. The center's in the Pacific who are good right now, or will be good, very soon are;

Edmonton: McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl
San Jose: Thornton, Couture, Pavelski
Calgary: Bennett, Monahan
Los Angeles: Kopitar, Carter
Vancouver: Sedin, Horvat
Anaheim: Getzlaf, Kesler
Arizona: Hanzal

Putting Hanzal in that grouping is even pushing it, and Marty's only good for 50 games a season.

Everyone needs to read this post every day until the draft. Then if we don't draft Strome, maybe y'all will help me break into the Gila River and burn that mother to the ground.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm kind of surprised Arizona would pass up on Hanifin. He seems like the kind of piece to replace a guy like Yandle, and would make a deadly duo with OEL, but I'm warming to the idea that he may slide to 4th for us. The stud forward is always a tempting player to add to the mix, but if it's an Ekblad type at 4. Wow.

We sucked WITH Yandle. We need to do things differently.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We sucked WITH Yandle. We need to do things differently.

Could have swore people around here were adamant that Yandle would not be traded and could be built around...

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think we're taking Strome. How many times has Maloney used the phrase "big center ice man" and that he wants to overstock the center position.

I just can't place his presser comments re: Marner. Marner more than likely projects as a winger rather than a C. Doesn't have Strome's size either. Unless GMDM is 100% confident that the Leafs love Marner and that he can extract an asset to go from 3rd OV to 4th and pull an asset in the meantime.

rt

May 13, 2004
Could have swore people around here were adamant that Yandle would not be traded and could be built around...

If I could do it over, I don't make that trade. Unless there is something I don't know about the contract talks. The choice wasn't Yandle or a franchise center. It was Yandle for a nifty little winger with warts, a late ass 2nd, a late ass future 1st and a toss in defenseman with a ten cent head. Hardly an offer you can't refuse.

Would I trade Yandle for Dylan Strome? yep.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Everyone needs to read this post every day until the draft. Then if we don't draft Strome, maybe y'all will help me break into the Gila River and burn that mother to the ground.

That will be ignored by those who give Tippett plenty of support while continuing to sing the praises of what he did a long time ago.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Unless there is something I don't know about the contract talks.

I vaguely remember it coming out that Yandle was undecided about resigning aka the agreed upon scenario where he should be traded.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I vaguely remember it coming out that Yandle was undecided about resigning aka the agreed upon scenario where he should be traded.

I don't think a source for this was ever provided?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't think a source for this was ever provided?

It was one of those twitter notes by a beat reporter that gets a line in article, if that, but is crucially important. Someone with more time can dig through the trade thread and find it.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I still have PTSD after the lottery, but to try and hopefully cheer me up, I want you guys to rank what you think Strome's upside will be compared to recently drafted top centers, who went in the top-5.

Seguin, Johansen, Nuge, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Bennett, Draisaitl, Reinhart.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
His closest clone out of any of those is Johansen, which suits us just fine. But I'm Ready for Hanifinâ„¢

rt

May 13, 2004
I still have PTSD after the lottery, but to try and hopefully cheer me up, I want you guys to rank what you think Strome's upside will be compared to recently drafted top centers, who went in the top-5.

Seguin, Johansen, Nuge, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, MacKinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Bennett, Draisaitl, Reinhart.

In the middle? A few above. More below.

I think only 2-3 will be clearly a cut above. A handful will be arguably a bit above or a bit below, basically on the same plane. The bigger grouping will be those below. Call it 2 above 4 beside and 6 below?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
His closest clone out of any of those is Johansen, which suits us just fine. But I'm Ready for Hanifin™

I was thinking Johansen too. A great addition, but unfortunately not a superstar that can start selling tickets tomorrow based on hype alone.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I was thinking Johansen too. A great addition, but unfortunately not a superstar that can start selling tickets tomorrow based on hype alone.

He's not going to score 40+ goals, no. But with his passing Duclair, Domi, or Perlini just might.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I feel Johanson is a much better skater than Strome

I'd rank it as such personally, though I haven't seen all of these guys as much as I should

Seguin, MacKinnon, Johansen, Monahan, Barkov Strome, Nuge, Galchenyuk, Bennett, Reinhart, Lindholm, Draisaitl, Huberdeau

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Johanson took a few years to break out...

He had some well work effort problems I think, even got benched in the AHL. Strome from what i can tell if very well spoken of regarding his work ethic.

Strome has better hockey IQ and vision as well imo

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That will be ignored by those who give Tippett plenty of support while continuing to sing the praises of what he did a long time ago.

What does needing centers have to do with giving DT support? We all know we need centers, in fact this team needs more than just centers.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He's not going to score 40+ goals, no. But with his passing Duclair, Domi, or Perlini just might.

This. He has the potential to make Duclair and Domi superstars though. Two dynamic wingers with personalty and flash and a center who can dish it to them. That is a hell of a line if it clicks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad