If we get 3rd overall pick, who would you want?

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I trade with Philly and acquire their two 1st round picks (#7 and Tampa's pick). That gives us three first round picks this year. I then draft the best available forward prospect at #7.

My logic is only 2 players appear NHL ready this year, and we don't have a chance at drafting either. Having the ability to draft 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks over these next two years could transform this organization into a solid team on the ice. I also think ownership needs to step up to the plate and acquire a top center and two solid veteran defensemen. Bringing Vermy back on a two year deal should also be explored.

I believe the consensus is that ownership will be under a microscope to see how much they give GMDM for payroll. It needs to be at least $60M or we are just treading water until they can exercise their out clause, IMO. Even local media is starting to acknowledge that GMDM and Tip had no chance of being competitive with the payroll ownership authorized. Jude on Fox 10 really called ownership out last night on his sports show, stating that Valley hockey fans are the most loyal fans of all the local sports teams, and they deserve an ownership group that shows financial commitment to the market.

This is something I have been saying since last Fall when it became clear that we would be the lowest spending team in the NHL by several million.

It's time to plug some holes with Vets and cap casualties as this may be the best year to pick up some good players who are traded because they can't fit within the cap of another team, mix in a couple of young forwards, and draft for players who can help in a couple of years.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I trade with Philly and acquire their two 1st round picks (#7 and Tampa's pick). That gives us three first round picks this year. I then draft the best available forward prospect at #7.

My logic is only 2 players appear NHL ready this year, and we don't have a chance at drafting either. Having the ability to draft 5 first round picks and 4 second round picks over these next two years could transform this organization into a solid team on the ice. I also think ownership needs to step up to the plate and acquire a top center and two solid veteran defensemen. Bringing Vermy back on a two year deal should also be explored.

I believe the consensus is that ownership will be under a microscope to see how much they give GMDM for payroll. It needs to be at least $60M or we are just treading water until they can exercise their out clause, IMO. Even local media is starting to acknowledge that GMDM and Tip had no chance of being competitive with the payroll ownership authorized. Jude on Fox 10 really called ownership out last night on his sports show, stating that Valley hockey fans are the most loyal fans of all the local sports teams, and they deserve an ownership group that shows financial commitment to the market.

This is something I have been saying since last Fall when it became clear that we would be the lowest spending team in the NHL by several million.

It's time to plug some holes with Vets and cap casualties as this may be the best year to pick up some good players who are traded because they can't fit within the cap of another team, mix in a couple of young forwards, and draft for players who can help in a couple of years.

Wait, so you're saying Philly gives us both their 1st and Tampa's 1st for just our 1st? Not sure I see that being offered.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

What about Lecavalier, Pronger, 7 th OV for Chi 1st.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Can the Coyotes even afford that?

Prongers salary $575 K. You are essentially bailing flyers out of cap hell and still giving them a relatively good pick for one of Crouse, Provorov, Barzal, Werenski, possibly Marner or Strome if they fall.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Wait, so you're saying Philly gives us both their 1st and Tampa's 1st for just our 1st? Not sure I see that being offered.

A non-Yotes lurker here, but I can see that offer as fair value, and pretty damn realistic considering the talent that will be available in that spot. A kid like Hanifin has franchise D written all over him, and would certainly be worth moving a late-1st to move up for. Even if they want to go forward, guys like Marner and Strome are - IMO - on another level from the rest of the pack. Picks #7 and #26(?) is a pretty painless package to give up when considering the talent that will be going to Philly.

For that reason, I think your best course of action will be to keep the pick. Take the forward, be it Marner(my preference) or Strome. You guys have solid offensive prospects already, and you'll add another with Chicago's 1st. What you need is a "face of the franchise" forward, and I can see Marner becoming that guy.

It sucks that you lost out on Eichel, but let's be real here - you still have a game-changing forward prospect staring you guys in the face. Take him.

indczn

May 28, 2008
Prongers salary $575 K. You are essentially bailing flyers out of cap hell and still giving them a relatively good pick for one of Crouse, Provorov, Barzal, Werenski, possibly Marner or Strome if they fall.

10.5 remaning for Vinny. 1.15 remaining for Pronger.

I can't see taking on that much for Vinny. He doesn't have that much excess cap over salary either. I haven't seen vinny play but I'm under the impression that he is done.

I have no problem taking on 9.8 mil cap hit for Pronger for assets if we can trade a useless vet to offset the actual cash due. I think its something we should absolutely pursue to effectively circumvent the cap floor while the team sucks and is rebuilding. It's going to be rough* whether we spend the money or not, and there really don't seem to be any options out there that will be worth it, so might as well save the cash via Pronger or Savard opposed to throwing cash away in a down year.

*The kids might impress. They might not. Next season depends much more on them, opposed to anyone we might add. I'm assuming that anyone whose a cap casualty will be a low value player since even Toronto dumped freaking Clarkson at little cost.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Lecavalier is signed for 3 years. I suppose we could use him for 2 years and then buy him out in Year 3. The buyout would be a $1 million cap hit each year for 2 years. Even if you buyout years 2 and 3, it's a $1 million cap hit each year for 4 years.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Not picking up Pronger would be a massive wasted opportunity for us and should be a seriously high priority.

We seem to be excellent at turning our backs to any sort of opportunity, so I suspect someone else will cash in and we'll be left in the dust as always.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
A non-Yotes lurker here, but I can see that offer as fair value, and pretty damn realistic considering the talent that will be available in that spot. A kid like Hanifin has franchise D written all over him, and would certainly be worth moving a late-1st to move up for. Even if they want to go forward, guys like Marner and Strome are - IMO - on another level from the rest of the pack. Picks #7 and #26(?) is a pretty painless package to give up when considering the talent that will be going to Philly.

For that reason, I think your best course of action will be to keep the pick. Take the forward, be it Marner(my preference) or Strome. You guys have solid offensive prospects already, and you'll add another with Chicago's 1st. What you need is a "face of the franchise" forward, and I can see Marner becoming that guy.

It sucks that you lost out on Eichel, but let's be real here - you still have a game-changing forward prospect staring you guys in the face. Take him.

This is how I feel as well, we missed the thing we needed most in a face of the franchise player. We worked hard all year to get our pick this low in an anomaly draft year. Might as well make it count with the best talent we can.

When you look at every other team in the league you can say they have player X or player Y that define the team. Anaheim - Getslaf/Perry, San Jose - Thorton/Marleau, Dallas - Benn/Seguin, list goes on and on and most teams have their own support cast backing those guys up. I'm sick of getting to Arizona and seeing our face as Chip/Moss. No more question marks, we missed McEichel, but just take the closest thing we can get in Strome or Marner and move on.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I'd be fine with any number of players at 3. Right now, only reason I wouldn't take Mariner is he plays on London. What are the odds that three stud teammates (Domi, Dvorak, Marner) from a junior team all turn out to be solid NHLers? Still, he's not a small guy. He's just not big. Few days ago I was Marner. Now I'm Strome, my original vote.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What are the odds that three stud teammates (Domi, Dvorak, Marner) from a junior team all turn out to be solid NHLers?

BINGO. Plus, factor in the likely scenario that at the first hint of trouble Tippett would separate that line in order to find more try... :laugh:

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
What about Lecavalier, Pronger, 7 th OV for Chi 1st.

For both? Take out Chicago's 1st and add our 2nd and throw in Gormley. I may even make them take Korpikoski for B Schenn...

so LeCavalier, Pronger, B Schenn, 7th overall
for
Gormley, Korpikoski, 31st overall

otherwise, take out Pronger. and make the Flyers pay the $2mil signing bonus first (which is due July 1st and the trade won't be official until then). This way the Flyers won't have any cap hit. VL would only count $2.5mil in real money.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'd be fine with any number of players at 3. Right now, only reason I wouldn't take Mariner is he plays on London. What are the odds that three stud teammates (Domi, Dvorak, Marner) from a junior team all turn out to be solid NHLers? Still, he's not a small guy. He's just not big. Few days ago I was Marner. Now I'm Strome, my original vote.

I understand the concerns over the odds of 3 prospects from the same team all turning into NHLers. However skipping Marner on that basis doesn't really help if it turns out that the two guys who turn into solid NHL guys are Marner and one of Domi/Dvorak.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona

I think that is a great deal for Philly who would really like to pick 3rd. Yes, I think we get their pick at #7 plus their Tampa pick at whatever number that ends up at.

The question is do you forgo taking Strome, Marner and Hanifin, for an additional first round pick - assuming that Ownership is prepared to spend enough money to acquire a good 1/2C, a 3C, a top pairing defenseman and a bottom pairing defenseman. With our current cap space, and an increase in payroll to at least $60M, those acquisitions are doable.

Also, any way we can unload Korpi's salary only makes it easier to add some productive players.

If we are going to be a bottom feeding team again and spend millions below the cap, then I draft Strome at #3.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I understand the concerns over the odds of 3 prospects from the same team all turning into NHLers. However skipping Marner on that basis doesn't really help if it turns out that the two guys who turn into solid NHL guys are Marner and one of Domi/Dvorak.

In 1989 the leafs used 3 first rounders on Bellvile Bull prospects. None of which amounted to much.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Strome is in last year's draft, does he go ahead of Ekblad?

If Hanifin is in last year's draft, does he go ahead of Ekblad?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leaf fan here interested in what you guys will be doing.

Initially I wanted Strome, but it looks like if Arizona tries to build with a big body center, the Leafs might end up with a bit of a steal in Hanifin and have a Rielly Hanifin pair for the next decade, which is pretty exciting.

I'd have thought that Hanifin would have been the natural choice to replace Yandle, but can we expect Arizona to pick Strome?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Leaf fan here interested in what you guys will be doing.

Initially I wanted Strome, but it looks like if Arizona tries to build with a big body center, the Leafs might end up with a bit of a steal in Hanifin and have a Rielly Hanifin pair for the next decade, which is pretty exciting.

I'd have thought that Hanifin would have been the natural choice to replace Yandle, but can we expect Arizona to pick Strome?

According to Dreger that's our guy.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Really? Wow, that is some high praise. If Hanifin is rated with guys like Ekblad, that is some pretty good company.

Hanifin could be next Leetch/Niedermayer. Passing on him is a testament of how good Marner and Strome are/will be and/or in the case of Strome how difficult it is to get your hands on a top line C.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm kind of surprised Arizona would pass up on Hanifin. He seems like the kind of piece to replace a guy like Yandle, and would make a deadly duo with OEL, but I'm warming to the idea that he may slide to 4th for us. The stud forward is always a tempting player to add to the mix, but if it's an Ekblad type at 4. Wow.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Strome-

What's the saying? "The best defense is a good offense"
I'm tired of the 'Yotes being outshot 2 to 1 every fricking game. I've said it a lot that you are not going to win many games by not putting of few pucks on net.

All of you who think Hanifin is going to be the second coming of Bobby Orr need to wake up and smell the coffee. He will need to "percolate, cook, season" in the AHL before he even sniffs the NHL with our management's track record. By that time you might be rooting for him in another city...

If defense is the 'true' base of this team, why trade Yandle? Oh I see, to get more draft picks to get another D-man who might help??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad