If we get 3rd overall pick, who would you want?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All good, none projected out to be top 5 at their position.

Projections don't mean anything. Some of our prospects could end up being top 5 in their position, but more importantly, it's the players as a group, and how much chemistry and heart they have.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
At 1st I would try to trade it for a top center on an ELC like Draisaitl, Barkov, Lindholm, Reinhart. Then when that doesn't work, maybe trade it and move back a few picks and pick up a decent asset (which I don't see happening either). When all the other options don't work out. we'll end up picking BPA. Marner...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Projections don't mean anything. Some of our prospects could end up being top 5 in their position, but more importantly, it's the players as a group, and how much chemistry and heart they have.

Trap, dump and chase. How's that for chemistry?:laugh:

Each team with a real chance has a stellar player or 2. Nash/Lundqvist, Datsuk/Zetterberg, Price/Pachioretty, Getzlaf/Perry, Stamkos/Bishop

We need a stellar player.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I know it's very painful not getting one of the top 2 prizes in this draft. But the 4th and 5th teams are pinching themselves that they'll get one of Marner/Hanifin/Strome while we're still dealing with the shock of drafting 3rd. There are exceptional prospects to be had at 3rd.

And who knows, maybe one of them ends up being even better then those top 2 guys.

I might be able to adopt this attitude if Carolina or New Jersey had won. Edmonton is adding insult (soul crushing humiliation) to injury (lethal blunt force trauma to the brain).

I'm going to go ahead and be negative about picking third.

If some youngsters like Domi and/or Duclair don't immediately break into the line up and start producing some excitement and buzz, I'm going to quit the team. I really am. It's been so long since I've been interested in anything positive on the roster. I mostly just hate everyone in org., anyway.

Make a big, blockbuster trade and I will be back. Domi and Duclair with some razzle dazzle and league buzz, and I will be back. All of the promising kids on the farm, and Dave Tippett playing a bunch of lousy pieces of **** because he's a stubborn ****ing idiot and our GM is too much of a ***** to out his foot down and our owners are so goddamned out of their league that they can't even imagine stepping in? Another year of that? I quit.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I might be able to adopt this attitude if Carolina or New Jersey had won. Edmonton is adding insult (soul crushing humiliation) to injury (lethal blunt force trauma to the brain).

I'm going to go ahead and be negative about picking third.

If some youngsters like Domi and/or Duclair don't immediately break into the line up and start producing some excitement and buzz, I'm going to quit the team. I really am. It's been so long since I've been interested in anything positive on the roster. I mostly just hate everyone in org., anyway.

Make a big, blockbuster trade and I will be back. Domi and Duclair with some razzle dazzle and league buzz, and I will be back. All of the promising kids on the farm, and Dave Tippett playing a bunch of lousy pieces of **** because he's a stubborn ****ing idiot and our GM is too much of a ***** to out his foot down and our owners are so goddamned out of their league that they can't even imagine stepping in? Another year of that? I quit.

Good post.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
How the **** did 96 people vote in this poll? Since when do we have 96 posters on this board? Why would random, non-Coyotes fan interlopers come in and vote?

I don't think you need to worry. This year was a throw-away, waiting for the lake to fill up after building the dam. Lake's getting full, and a good bit of water will spill over this summer.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How the **** did 96 people vote in this poll? Since when do we have 96 posters on this board? Why would random, non-Coyotes fan interlopers come in and vote?I don't think you need to worry. This year was a throw-away, waiting for the lake to fill up after building the dam. Lake's getting full, and a good bit of water will spill over this summer.

Some how getting Dave Tippett's ass the hell out of town would help a lot. Seems like he and Doan are content to stick around for reasons wholly unrelated to hockey, though. Just exactly who you want leading your team, right? Guys who are completley disgruntled about the organization but stick around just because moving sucks.

Oh yeah. We are going to go far.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Also, it bears mentioning that a friend of mine on Twitter who is a Leafs fan is practically begging me to convince the Coyotes not to take Strome at 3.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He's just one twitter guy. Doesn't mean that the team is high on Marner. Could be smoke.

I didn't say anything about it being indicative about the direction of our 3OA pick. I do think, based on virtually everyone I've talked to, that everyone behind us is hoping we take Hanifin instead of one of the forwards.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I didn't say anything about it being indicative about the direction of our 3OA pick. I do think, based on virtually everyone I've talked to, that everyone behind us is hoping we take Hanifin instead of one of the forwards.

I really hope you guys take a forward, and leave Hanifin to the Leafs.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Craig Button did a top 5 mock draft.

Order was:
1) McDavid
2) Eichel
3) Strome - cited fit
4) Marner - cited top skill and ability to secure a D with other first rounder (applies to us as well)
5) Hanifin - cited he was a 15 yr 20+min/night D

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
5) Hanifin - cited he was a 15 yr 20+min/night D
Chris Phillips then, eh?

We can fix a good chunk of what's wrong with this year's defense with 1 or 2 good solid veteran signings or trades. We don't have enough money to fix what's wrong with our offense in free agency. We don't necessarily have to use 3OA on Strome or Marner, but both our 1st and the CHI 1st are assets that absolutely need to be used to find more scoring.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chris Phillips then, eh?

We can fix a good chunk of what's wrong with this year's defense with 1 or 2 good solid veteran signings or trades. We don't have enough money to fix what's wrong with our offense in free agency. We don't necessarily have to use 3OA on Strome or Marner, but both our 1st and the CHI 1st are assets that absolutely need to be used to find more scoring.

He's better than Phillips.

Hanifin would be a great pick. As would either Strome or Marner. I also wouldn't disagree if we dropped down to select one of Barzal, Rantanen, Provorov, or Crouse.

This is an exciting draft. I'm stoked to see how it unfolds. I absolutely love several of the guys we aren't even considering at 3. Im not kidding when I say Provorov could be the next OEL. He's unbelievably good.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't want a defenseman. I don't want a defenseman. I don't want a defenseman.

You guys remember when Nashville had Ryan Suter and Shea Weber on the backend? Anyone remember how many Stanley Cups the Preds won with that combo?

This team needs defense but it needs mature, responsible, veteran defense. We have a ton of picks after 3OA to use on defense. Use all the rest of the picks on defense.

But use 3OA on a frickin' forward, Donnie. Someone whose job it WON'T be to dump, chase, cycle, and feed the puck to the blue line.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't want a defenseman. I don't want a defenseman. I don't want a defenseman.

You guys remember when Nashville had Ryan Suter and Shea Weber on the backend? Anyone remember how many Stanley Cups the Preds won with that combo?

This team needs defense but it needs mature, responsible, veteran defense. We have a ton of picks after 3OA to use on defense. Use all the rest of the picks on defense.

But use 3OA on a frickin' forward, Donnie. Someone whose job it WON'T be to dump, chase, cycle, and feed the puck to the blue line.

If you think Strome is a first line C you take him. If you don't then selecting a Hanifin who solidifies our D for the next decade is very very easy.

I know the Kings don't win two cups without Doughty and Voynov. I know the Hawks don't win a cup without Keith and Seabrook. I know the Penguins won't win a cup because their D can't move the puck up the ice and they have two of the best forwards in the world.

You need good D to enable the forwards to be successful. It's the lesson the Oilers have failed to learn in the past decade and why they perpetually suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad