if we continue to be in a playoff position ,are we buyers?

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
One argument for buying at the deadline:
- Reinhart is on a bridge
- Dahlin, and Mittelstadt (and Ullmark?) are on ELC
- Skinner will get a big payday this offseason and may price himself off the team.

Chicago showed you need good young players on cheap deals to make a cup run. We have a couple years here until the young guys start getting paid.

If you can deal a 1st and a 2nd for a high quality bottom six forward, and a legit second pairing guy, I say pull the trigger. It could push out Sobotka/Beaulieu/Scandella/Nelson/injured player/underperforming player.

The expectations have shifted. I want to win a series.

You're contradicting yourself. Talking about how important ELC guys are(ya know, guys you acquire with draft picks!) and then trading a 1st and 2nd.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
4 years left at $5.25 ? That's not bad at all

No thanks to Jeff Carter its a terrible idea. Philly misses the playoffs I would go for Simmonds for a 2nd and b prospect or Brock Nelson and try to sign him, he would be a great 3rd line able to play 2nd line center.

Carter is 33 coming off a year where he missed more than half a season with injury.

His production isn't going to magically get better.

I'd be down for bringing back Vanek as a rental on the cheap for the play-offs should we get in. Slot him next to Mitts and Kyle and on the second PP unit. Assuming injuries hit.

Maybe? I'd rather call up Smith/Nylander then spend a 2nd on a guy we have to shelter.

How would you get Patrick Kane under the salary cap and RESIGN Skinner when we have literally barely 3 million in cap space

You don't sign both. You take Kane because he's a clearly better player.

Reactions: Buffaloed

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
You're contradicting yourself. Talking about how important ELC guys are(ya know, guys you acquire with draft picks!) and then trading a 1st and 2nd.
It isn’t a contradiction, because our future ELC players aren’t going to be as good as Dahlin and Mittelstadt (probably). You’ve gotta strike while the superstars are affordable.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How would you get Patrick Kane under the salary cap and RESIGN Skinner when we have literally barely 3 million in cap space

assuming Skinner is re0signed as well...

They would have to trade Reinhart and KO in the trade going back to Chicago.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Brock Nelson 27 year old center will be UFA good defensively is a perfect fit on the sabres.
Isles fans were bashing him for being useless outside of his shot over the summer. He seems to be producing well at current, but I'll lean towards their opinion of him.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Isles fans were bashing him for being useless outside of his shot over the summer. He seems to be producing well at current, but I'll lean towards their opinion of him.
So you don't actually watch the player and believe other fans who call a defensively responsible consistant 20 goal scoring center useless.

Its your prerogative I guess.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
So you don't actually watch the player and believe other fans who call a defensively responsible consistant 20 goal scoring center useless.

Its your prerogative I guess.
I'm assuming they've been watching him play since he entered the league. I'm just noting how they fervently expressed their desire to ship him away for a 2nd if they could. Maybe things have changed since then and they were just really down on their team as a whole at that time.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Im only trading for someone that Justin Bailey and a 3rd round pick brings back aka not much. It would have to be a depth forward that can fill in and play defensive minutes/pk if someone is hurt. We arent winning a cup this year we will need the 4 1st round pick players over the next 2 years to come in and replace aging vets/players we cant afford to sign in the next 5 years.

Reactions: Reddawg

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm assuming they've been watching him play since he entered the league. I'm just noting how they fervently expressed their desire to ship him away for a 2nd if they could. Maybe things have changed since then and they were just really down on their team as a whole at that time.
Take him for a 2nd no questions asked....

Some sabres fans would ship Risto out for a bag of pucks. I don't listen to fans.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Im only trading for someone that Justin Bailey and a 3rd round pick brings back aka not much. It would have to be a depth forward that can fill in and play defensive minutes/pk if someone is hurt. We arent winning a cup this year we will need the 4 1st round pick players over the next 2 years to come in and replace aging vets/players we cant afford to sign in the next 5 years.
We already have those players in Pilut, Nylander and Olofsson. What we need is a young 2nd/3rd line center who can step in now and grow with the team not 4 years from now.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

Taking a quick look at NHL.com shows he has the production of a middle six forward (40ish points a year). Assuming he stays at that level of production, I would send a second-round pick to the Isles for him in a heartbeat. Islander fans who are looking to ship him off for a bag of pucks need not be taken seriously.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
We already have those players in Pilut, Nylander and Olofsson. What we need is a young 2nd/3rd line center who can step in now and grow with the team not 4 years from now.
Playoff hockey is a different animal. Those players are skill guys I’m looking for a Larsson(good version) that can replace that type of game when a player in the bottom 6 goes down.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Maybe? I'd rather call up Smith/Nylander then spend a 2nd on a guy we have to shelter. .
A 2nd? Hell no. Was thinking more along the lines of a 5th. Either way, Vanek is not a hill I'm willing to die on, just thought he might add some welcome offense and vet presence for the possible play-offs. And there's the sentimentality factor.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I’d really like to see a move to upgrade Sobotka. Even if it’s in a rental capacity, should t be too costly a move to justify.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He wasn’t a locker room problem portrayed by WPG fans.
He wasn't a locker room cancer like jets fans said. They said he was a lazy 3rd line player. I am not sure if you just here what you want to here.

He was responding to a strictly on-ice discussion about a player, which Jets fans were right on about in regard to Kane. Nobody is trying to rehash off-ice stuff here.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
He was responding to a strictly on-ice discussion about a player, which Jets fans were right on about in regard to Kane. Nobody is trying to rehash off-ice stuff here.
What did jets fans say? He was a lazy 3rd line winger? Injury proned? or wait because they were wrong about the locker room cancer we will leave that part out? Got it! By the way he is on the first line in San Jose. They were not right but ignoring facts makes it easier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad