if we continue to be in a playoff position ,are we buyers?

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
In addition to the obvious immediate benefit of help/depth in the playoffs, bringing in the right vets (with playoff experience) can only be a good thing for the development of the young players on our roster.

You won’t need to give up much. I’m all for it.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If Arizona is offering up OEL I'm listening.

Why would Chaka move him?
The team is an absolute disaster. Chayka just gave away Strome and Perlini. Only players left from pre Chayka tenure are OEL, Fischer and 2 guys that Chayka re-signed (Connaughton and Richardson).

The Coyotes basically are in rebuild mode again. OEL is part of the old core and may make sense to move him as part of the purge. He would look amazing with Dahlin and you guys have lots of assets to spare. Multiple 1sts, Guhle, Nylander...

What is he worth to the Sabres?

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
No thanks to rentals unless we're near the top of the conference and it's a cheap price for a good fit (say a 5th to 7th rounder), or the player is signed beyond this year. Big no to giving up firsts and seconds for a couple months of a player.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
The team is an absolute disaster. Chayka just gave away Strome and Perlini. Only players left from pre Chayka tenure are OEL, Fischer and 2 guys that Chayka re-signed (Connaughton and Richardson).

The Coyotes basically are in rebuild mode again. OEL is part of the old core and may make sense to move him as part of the purge. He would look amazing with Dahlin and you guys have lots of assets to spare. Multiple 1sts, Guhle, Nylander...

As a rental? Nothing. As someone that wants to sign here on not terribly unreasonable contract - a couple of 1st round picks.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
As a rental? Nothing. As someone that wants to sign here on not terribly unreasonable contract - a couple of 1st round picks.
OEL is signed long term. Not terribly unreasonable but pricey at $8.25 million per (it is structured weirdly though and a CAPOLOGIST I am not).

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If there's a player available that makes them legitimate contenders for a championship, I'd have no problem meeting a reasonable price, even if it should include a 1st round pick.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
I would be very concerned with selling the future when most of the team has never even played a playoff game.

We might be out in the first round even if we have a very good season because the team just doesn’t understand what playoff hockey means. That’s OK. We’re probably not ready to give up picks and prospects yet, no matter how the season progresses.

Reactions: dire wolf

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
OEL is signed long term. Not terribly unreasonable but pricey at $8.25 million per (it is structured weirdly though and a CAPOLOGIST I am not).
Oh f***, yes, he is. Well a couple of 1sts plus a cap dump useful defender in Bealieu would be my offer. Maybe a minor long shot prospect like Oglevie, Bailey or Hickey. It may not be the best package in the world but all I would offer for OEL at 8 mil all the way to 35 years old, this contract may be kinda brutal on the back end and OEL has shown he cant elevate a team on his own in Arizona.

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
We shouldn't be buyers this deadline. Sell off our scrubs for any draft picks teams will give us and call up the kids who deserve to be here, especially Pilut.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Kane and Malkin are about the only two (somewhat realistic) players I'd try to trade for. They can carry a line on their own and could help balance scoring.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
What if Patrick Kane agreed to waive his NMC? He's 30 years old, has a cap hit of $10.5 million and is signed through 2022-23.
Patrick Kane - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Love Kane, but don't think we should be making moves like these. Don't want to be getting rid of young talent such as Mittlestat in the process. I have faith that, should we be in playoff contention at the trade deadline, that Botterrill could find a smaller move or two that would help us.

Reactions: Eichel9

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I'd consider both 2019 1sts, Nylander, and Guhle.

What would the team want for Fischer?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I personally don’t feel like we should be big buyers, we’re going to need the cost-effective ELC talent that those four 1sts over the next two years will bring to the team. Being a buyer also means parting with prospects we already have, which will be counter productive when we have three guys making $10 mill apiece in three years.

Reactions: dire wolf

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
No rentals.

Has a rental EVER been the difference for a team in the playoffs? I think of all the rental players Buffalo acquired in dontending years, and I can’t think of a single one that made a key difference.

OTOH, if Botts can add a young piece that’s under contract past this year, and could be a piece of the puzzle going forward, than I could be OK with it (depending on the player and price, etc).

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Kane is interesting, but I don’t really wnat to be paying a single player $10M+ for the downside years of their career.

Even if he’d likely still be pretty good, he’s going to be in decline.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Buyers? Yes, let's shortcut the process yet again. We are not buyers -- maybe tidbits like a 3rd. No seconds. At all. Firsts are just laughable. Skinner is moved unless he's signed -- only scenario to keep him unsigned is very low return.
Skinner won't be moved, and he won't sign before the deadline. He's going to get his 8 yr contract, somewhere between 8 and 9.25 mil a season I suspect.
The Sabres have found one of Jacks wingers, and Jeff will still be in his lower to mid 30's when that contract ends. Now you can argue his speed will start to diminish in those last 2 or 3 yrs (ages 32 to 35), but his finishing touch isn't a physical attribute you lose with age, it's hand-eye coordination, and he should be just fine on that end.

You don't so easily discard a piece to the puzzle you've found. My prediction, Skinner re-signs with Buffalo, 8 yrs - 8.5/9 mil aav.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Can't remember who it was, but someone here hounded me pretty good for suggesting bringing P.Kane to Buffalo. Something about returning home and his friends being such a bad influence. As such, I've turned the corner pretty hard on that idea. Bad enough spending $10mil on a player now on the wrong side of 30... but putting him in a situation where he may not be playing/giving 100% any given night, or where he may become a distraction off the ice. No thanks.

I don't think I want the team to be buyers this year. If there's a move to be made for a good, young player with term and a decent contract, I'd have to consider that regardless of the standings... but whether this is the start of something great or a flash in the pan year, I want to keep as many picks and young/cheap players around as possible.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
No rentals.

Has a rental EVER been the difference for a team in the playoffs? I think of all the rental players Buffalo acquired in dontending years, and I can’t think of a single one that made a key difference.

OTOH, if Botts can add a young piece that’s under contract past this year, and could be a piece of the puzzle going forward, than I could be OK with it (depending on the player and price, etc).
Marian+Gaborik+2014+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+hLNH2vy1-Ugl.jpg

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Not really interested in trading assets at this point. I don’t believe that we are true contenders this year and will likely be the three seed in the Atlantic or a wild card.

As others have stated, Nylander, Pilut, Smith and others would be options. If Botterill wants to bring in more depth there are always guys who can provide that role for 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks. Solid prospects and our firsts and seconds should be off limits because we are still in the “build up” phase. We need those picks to hope we can get a couple guys who can shake out and provide good value on ELCs over the next few years.

Reactions: normaliswear

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Gaborik, is probably the only recent deal that comes to mind. I guess St. Louie was also that year, and helped the Rangers get to the finals - but mostly 'rentals' never pan out.

I'd be looking for younger players with either team control available, or 2+ years available that you see as being part of the team going forward. (which I realize is not done as often, and costs a lot more, lol)

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I’d be very interested in making swaps within our organizational depth to bring up Nylander, Olofsson and Pilut if we’re still trending heavy towards the playoffs. Adding a lot more Swedish skill to our lineup while retaining our valuable assets should be easily doable. We can even add some small assets if we go the trade route with a player like Sobotka or Beaulieu.

Much less interested in trying to take a home run swing spending good picks on top six guys, though I would never turn my nose up at an additional top 4 D.

Reactions: normaliswear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad