if we continue to be in a playoff position ,are we buyers?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
He was responding to a strictly on-ice discussion about a player, which Jets fans were right on about in regard to Kane. Nobody is trying to rehash off-ice stuff here.

Agreed even if I still liked kane in his time here, he was everything as advertised by jets fans ON ICE.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
When I was younger I liked my team to buy.

I don’t anymore.

Unless it’s a minor depth move or getting another center.....

Otherwise Keep it as is IMO

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Carter is 33 coming off a year where he missed more than half a season with injury.

His production isn't going to magically get better.

Maybe? I'd rather call up Smith/Nylander then spend a 2nd on a guy we have to shelter.

You don't sign both. You take Kane because he's a clearly better player.

At this rate I’d rather have Skinner who is 4 years younger and won’t cost you as much . I love Kane but with the way Skinner is playing and considering the age difference and his chemistry with Eichel I would keep Skinner

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If they continue to be in the playoffs Botts must at least to do his due diligence about adding depth or talent to the roster. I wouldn't be happy if he paid a steep price for a rental however he could add depth for minor assets or talent under contract if the price was reasonable.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
i wouldn't trade away any top prospects or high draft picks for a single cup run. this could be the beginning of a dynasty. stay patient.
My mantra. If it’s working right now, that’s great, but we need to stay the course and build a perennial contender. We have all the tools to do that and it should be the only focus. Not making the playoffs this year, not winning a series this year. Contending every single year for a very long time.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not interested in Pat Kane or OEL costs to high. Looking for someone age 24-27 to play 2nd/3rd line center. Bring someone in that fits our build.

They definitely don't need to bring in a big ticket outside player at this point. Especially with Skinner's contract expiring.

The good thing is that the Sabres don't have the cap space for a move like that this season.

Reactions: Reddawg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Not interested in Pat Kane or OEL costs to high. Looking for someone age 24-27 to play 2nd/3rd line center. Bring someone in that fits our build.
Ryan Dzingel fits that bill and I can see a scenario where Ottawa decides to move him. He's having a good season and he's always been a Sabre killer, would be nice not to have to play against him anymore. He's 27, but he'd be a huge upgrade on Sobotka and making the third line better would free up Casey on the second line quite a bit.

Reactions: HeartforReinheart

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I wouldn't be down to go after a rental. And Mitts has proved me wrong, I think he's doing fine as our 2c. Personally, I think if Buffalo could get a hard nosed, youngish top 6 left winger that put in 50-60 points a year, and has term left, I'd trade a first for that if we can make the cap work. Or if a team decides to rebuild, and would be willing to trade a for Okposo with a cheaper or shorter contract but puts up that same or better production, I'd seriously think about trading a first/asset for that.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I wouldn't be down to go after a rental. And Mitts has proved me wrong, I think he's doing fine as our 2c. Personally, I think if Buffalo could get a hard nosed, youngish top 6 left winger that put in 50-60 points a year, and has term left, I'd trade a first for that if we can make the cap work. Or if a team decides to rebuild, and would be willing to trade a for Okposo with a cheaper or shorter contract but puts up that same or better production, I'd seriously think about trading a first/asset for that.
Kreider? Only signed until 2020 though.

A name that intrigues me is Nino Niederreiter. Seems to be an odd man out in Minnesota.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just a depth add, but I don't want to give up a pick in the first four rounds. If we can get someone like Lovejoy for a 5th, do it, or McQuaid for a 6th or 7th, do it, but they need to see what they have in this group. Put simply, just a low-cost depth add, preferably a RHD.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Kreider? Only signed until 2020 though.

A name that intrigues me is Nino Niederreiter. Seems to be an odd man out in Minnesota.

I was thinking about Kreider also. If the Rangers decide to blow it up. Nino is intriguing, but I think it would cost Buffalo to much for the slight improvement he may bring.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Both Housley and Botterill have openly spoke on Okposo's leadership in the locker room in the past 2 weeks, he won't be going anywhere.
If anything, a LW'er to boost that 2nd line would be instrumental.

steveoath

GHC 141
Jul 31, 2018
I don't think trading picks for a potential playoff run is wise. This year surely must be seen as a bonus year? Whatever happens.... happens. Then bolster in the off season when we see what the young guys have been capable of. If we are in the paid picture this year, that must make buffalo a very attractive place to cone play hockey.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I don't think trading picks for a potential playoff run is wise. This year surely must be seen as a bonus year? Whatever happens.... happens. Then bolster in the off season when we see what the young guys have been capable of. If we are in the paid picture this year, that must make buffalo a very attractive place to cone play hockey.
I don't believe you have to trade any of those high end picks to improve the roster now. The team is getting scoring from various players, but look back on this 10 game run and it's Eichel, Reinhart and of course, Skinner, who are the driving force. If there is seriousness in both improving the roster long term and making some noise come playoff time, the Sabres have the assets to make that happen. And imho, that starts with finding a way to get a much more productive 2nd scoring line.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
To get a productive 2nd line you pair up Reinhart and Rodrigues + a decent LWer.

Otherwise we'd need to upgrade Mittelstadt.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
To get a productive 2nd line you pair up Reinhart and Rodrigues + a decent LWer.

Otherwise we'd need to upgrade Mittelstadt.
I feel like the Samson in the middle experiment has reached it's long due conclusion and the consensus is that he's not a center, he's a winger. And a very good one, but a winger he is. Anytime we've tried him as an NHL centerman it's been a disaster.

Reactions: normaliswear

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I feel like the Samson in the middle experiment has reached it's long due conclusion and the consensus is that he's not a center, he's a winger. And a very good one, but a winger he is. Anytime we've tried him as an NHL centerman it's been a disaster.
It hasn't even started yet.

I also didn't say he would play C on that line :P

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
They tried it for two years, and every time he went to the middle it was just an ugly scene.

Under less than ideal circumstances. Every time they moved Reinhart to center, he was immediately moved back to play with Jack because that was literally the only hope they had to score the past 2 seasons. I wouldn't exactly call that definitive evidence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad