if we continue to be in a playoff position ,are we buyers?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Marian+Gaborik+2014+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Final+hLNH2vy1-Ugl.jpg

A rare exception.

Also, not really a true rental player, since he stayed and signed a long-term deal with the Kings.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Let's say we are in spot for the playoffs should we consider trading a 1st rounder either this year or next to bring someone in to help us in the playoffs. If so who do you target.
And please no ROR.

I have said this before elsewhere...

assume skinner is extended

If they were to trade for a player it wouldn't be for a rental it would be for someone who has term of 1+ or 2+ years.

They could trade Beaulieu for a pick and promote Pilut.

As for moving 1sts....It would probably be their own and not SJ or STL because those are unprotected next year and there is no certainty they even have either of those this year.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
No rentals.

Has a rental EVER been the difference for a team in the playoffs? I think of all the rental players Buffalo acquired in dontending years, and I can’t think of a single one that made a key difference.

OTOH, if Botts can add a young piece that’s under contract past this year, and could be a piece of the puzzle going forward, than I could be OK with it (depending on the player and price, etc).

I'd say Zubris helped us against the Rangers in 2007. Jeauneau helped us quite a bit in our cup run

Reactions: sabrebuild

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'd say Zubris helped us against the Rangers in 2007. Jeauneau helped us quite a bit in our cup run

This team isn't like Nashville or San Jose that is in a win now window before contracts are due and players are in their prime.

I have said this before I could see Buffalo doing a 2 for 1 deal similar to aeizona/Chicago trade because they have prospect depth at forward in their system

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Hell no, please don't trade any firsts. Seconds, fine, but no way I'm trading any firsts unless it's for a long term non-rental player.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If Pittsburgh continues to falter, I actually do wonder if Botts tries to get up a Murray prospect for a rental like Brassard

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
One argument for buying at the deadline:
- Reinhart is on a bridge
- Dahlin, and Mittelstadt (and Ullmark?) are on ELC
- Skinner will get a big payday this offseason and may price himself off the team.

Chicago showed you need good young players on cheap deals to make a cup run. We have a couple years here until the young guys start getting paid.

If you can deal a 1st and a 2nd for a high quality bottom six forward, and a legit second pairing guy, I say pull the trigger. It could push out Sobotka/Beaulieu/Scandella/Nelson/injured player/underperforming player.

The expectations have shifted. I want to win a series.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
I would prefer that we not be major buyers at the deadline this year. As nice as this run has been and as awesome as it is to finally see some winning Sabres hockey, I think most of us understand that this team isn't really to win the cup as of yet. Still some filling out of the roster that needs to take place, in addition to our young core attaining some valuable experience over the course of a winning season and some playoff games.

I'd be fine with us bolstering our lineup closer to the deadline to give our roster some more depth, so long as we don't give up anything major for the addition. A third, borderline second line forward or a middle to low pairing defenseman at the cost of a later round draft pick would be fine with me. Absolutely no reason to sell the farm this year to go all in, regardless of how the season shakes out.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Something around guhle and Sobotka for brassard

Something around our 1st++ for montour

Waive elie when Wilson is back

Skinner Eichel pommer
Sheary mitts Okposo
Thompson brassard Reinhart
Girgs larsson erod/berglund/Wilson
McCabe risto
Dahlin montour
Scandella bogo/Nelson
Hutton
ullmark

Today’s thought exercise. Don’t know if values are close. I also don’t want to trade 1sts, but montour would be an exception.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Skinner Eichel pommer
Sheary mitts Okposo
McCabe risto
Dahlin montour
Scandella bogo/Nelson
Hutton
ullmark

Today’s thought exercise. Don’t know if values are close. I also don’t want to trade 1sts, but montour would be an exception.

If we are entertaining 1st++ I'll give up more to get manson instead of montour

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Maybe for you. Trading out firsts to win a series doesn't interest me.
I wouldn't do it for UFA rentals. I would definitely do it to acquire a top 4 defender who is signed beyond this year, and preferably beyond next year too.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

Skinner Eichel pommer
Sheary mitts Okposo
McCabe risto
Dahlin montour
Scandella bogo/Nelson
Hutton
ullmark

The Sabres hadn't won a single game, and were blown out every game before Ellie came in. Since then, they're the top team in the league. How can you just waive the Sabres good luck charm?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think I am with the majority here about not being buyers. I've been vocal about it and even if this current team is playoff worthy then no additions need to be made for rentals because this team is not cup worthy, yet.

Trades that add a core piece for the future, I can get behind that but moving any of the 1sts for a rental is a straight no fly zone for me.

I believe the fix for the holes currently on our team and the replacement of old guys are from within playing on Rochester and about to be drafted.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah I think typically "buyer" is associated with going for a top 6 pending free agent and spending to do so.

Buying for us could be getting a bottom 6 pk guy, or a better 3rd pairing dman

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
question for everyone

If trading 2 of our firsts would result in a guaranteed trip to the SCF, would we make the trade?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
question for everyone

If trading 2 of our firsts would result in a guaranteed trip to the SCF, would we make the trade?

not if these are for pure UFA rentals that we cant sign.

It would be very different if we acquired players who were part of a long term plan.

The problem with moving STL or SJ 1st is we don't know where they will be.,

STL could move to 2020 and be unprotected or if we think they suck and will be top 10 they close strung to 10 then get bumped to 11. 2020 is unprotected and I honestly do not see this team making the playoffs in 2020. That division is very competitive where the 6th place team can have a 100+ pts season and still not go to the playoffs.

With San Jose--similar thing. If the Central is very good where 5WCs come out of that then only the top 3 get in from the west then it can be close. As of now based on pts they area bubble team after factoring in games in hand by other teams. Calgary is playing strong, Edmonton after the vhange could make a move. Anaheim could if they stay in it and then get healthy, and Arizona is a wild card. They are a young team like us who could go on a 7-5 hot streak and it then carrys them thru the season. Then next year Vancouver could improve with experience in youth, Arizona and Edmonton can too. next year SJ could be a 4th place team at 95pts miss out on the wildcard spots by 1-2 pts then win the lottery.

At the deadline its too close to call on either of these. I can only see trading of BUF pick If they had 10+ pt space after factoring in games in hand at the deadline betwe n playoffs and out.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Nah, don't break the team up. They are winning by heart and team effort. Let's keep the team together, they will only grow stronger and find chemistry. Don't need some overpaid talent who they say are elite but doesn't show it the few months he's here like all those rentals usually are.

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Considering the King's spot I'd kick the tires on Jeff Carter depending on his contract, not sure what it is. I love the thought of bringing in a true veteran with Stanley cup pedigree into the room that can also still play, like what they thought Gionta was. The young players could learn so much from him and honestly I think he'd make us into a legit playoff contender, I'll stop short of saying cup contender.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
3 1st picks would revitalize, revolutionize the prospect pool and allow for cheap young elite players on elc's entering early prime at 22 as Eichel is in his full prime. That is sustainable, long-term success. There's ways of making moves that don't involve moving 1sts. I would under no conditions trade a 1st if there is any possibility it becomes a lottery pick, too risky. It's best to be patient and not botch the process. The only way I trade a low 1st is if it's guaranteed not to be a lotto pick. The only way I trade a 1st under those conditions is if it's literally an offer you could not refuse involving an elite player on long-term under 23 which is an unlikely scenario (if not impossible).

What's the rush to be buyers? Our core is 23younger. However good the Sabres are they'll only get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Nah, don't break the team up. They are winning by heart and team effort. Let's keep the team together, they will only grow stronger and find chemistry. Don't need some overpaid talent who they say are elite but doesn't show it the few months he's here like all those rentals usually are.

I largely agree with this sentiment right now, but I'm not against augmentation. It just depends on the player and the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad