if we continue to be in a playoff position ,are we buyers?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I wouldn't endorse buying unless they're in a spot to win the division. That playoff path as the #2 or #3 team in the Atlantic will be berserk.

Hell, I'd get behind trading Skinner and wink wink re-signing him. At this rate he'd be worth 2x 1st at half price.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
All of our 1sts this year and next are strictly off limits unless something MAJOR shakes loose.

Otherwise, we want to get a low-cost vet to solidify our bottom lines or add more forward depth? Sure, as long as the cost is low.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Trade whatever you can to make your team better without sacrificing the future. To me there are no off limit picks. You just assume Botts is a fool. I am sure he knows what he is doing and do what is best for the team.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If Arizona wants to be stupid with OEL, sure. Same with Trouba and the Peg.

Otherwise no need to do anything at this point. Let the young guys get a taste.

I’d rather test out our secondary guys like Mitts, Tage, VO, Pilut and whoever else might emerge, rather than a vet rental steal that experience.

Let Girgs Larson Berglund be your vet line.

The other bottom 9 lines should get a healthy dose of young wingers that are here and in Rochester.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
It's going to be hard to be buyers when we have very little dead weight that can't be replaced within

Reactions: missingmika

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hypothetical question

If you could gurantee one cup win this year by being buyers but lose important assets and those assets are the key contributors to the future and the next 10 years is heart break after heart break of being good but not good enough to put us over the top would you still do it?

Or would you play it slow and build a team that can be a perienal championship over 10 years.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Hypothetical question

If you could gurantee one cup win this year by being buyers but lose important assets and those assets are the key contributors to the future and the next 10 years is heart break after heart break of being good but not good enough to put us over the top would you still do it?

Or would you play it slow and build a team that can be a perienal championship over 10 years.

Yes. Id take the guaranteed cup. No guarantee that us being a contender for a while gets up a cup. See late 90s through 2001

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Considering the King's spot I'd kick the tires on Jeff Carter depending on his contract, not sure what it is. I love the thought of bringing in a true veteran with Stanley cup pedigree into the room that can also still play, like what they thought Gionta was. The young players could learn so much from him and honestly I think he'd make us into a legit playoff contender, I'll stop short of saying cup contender.

Jeff Carter - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

No thanks.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Hypothetical question

I'd take the guaranteed Cup AINEC.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Hypothetical question

Ahhh the RG3 scenario. Kind of like the Kobayashi Maru.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No thanks to Jeff Carter its a terrible idea. Philly misses the playoffs I would go for Simmonds for a 2nd and b prospect or Brock Nelson and try to sign him, he would be a great 3rd line able to play 2nd line center.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Leafs rented Brian Boyle in a move that was purely to show the young players management believed in them, when they came out of their rebuild, even though they weren't going to go deep. I would hope for a move like that.

Sheary, Berglund, Sobotka, Scandella don’t have playoff experience ?

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Kovalchuk!

lol just kidding! - if some team wants to give up an actually good player (OEL, Trouba have been mentioned), then, sure, let's be in those discussions. Probably not happening though.

As for being a "buyer" - yes, they have to be a buyer, but at the bottom of the market. Bring me all the *legitimate* third and fourth line players who can be had for a song.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Having said this, if a legit first or second-line player shakes loose, let's get in on that, too, while we also resign Skinner. Do not @ me

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs fan coming in peace to say Congrats for your success so far this season. It was about time that you guys started to perform better, given the talent that you've assembled the last few years. It's always better when there are strong teams in the division, for great rivalries, and we are currently in the hardest and best division in the league. Best of Luck the rest of the way, unless you guys play us of course.

Reactions: Samsonite23

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I'd be down for bringing back Vanek as a rental on the cheap for the play-offs should we get in. Slot him next to Mitts and Kyle and on the second PP unit. Assuming injuries hit.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Hypothetical question

A guaranteed title is boring and completely ruins the whole purpose of being a fan. Never.

Reactions: Herman Hessian

Lloydchristmas138

Aug 3, 2010
Its far from good.

Especially with Okposo being overpaid and untradable already.

Can’t add that kind of contract when top priority needs to be locking down Skinner at 8million per
I agree that we can't add long term contracts until Skinner is done, hopefully that happens around the new year, but with Poms, Moulson etc. coming off the books this year and next I'm not worried about that price tag for that player. Carter's a hell of a player still at 33 and I'd guess will be for 2-3 more years at least. Center and winger versatility.. Mittelstadt and Dahlin aren't getting big contracts for at least 3 years, and Reinhart's not exactly gonna break the bank.. Free agency almost always a swing and a miss. I think he'd be perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad