Value of: If Toronto Signs Tavares

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'm sorry, but I just don't see Tavares signing anywhere to be the 2C. Much less to play under that microscope...who knows though, maybe he'll surprise me.

The team I'm most worried about though is San Jose.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
6 out of 9 responses are so far useless.

I imagine it would start with a signed OEL and some futures.

Correct, but we’re dealing with the classic Toronto fans that never read the whole OP.

Jan 21, 2018
Does that make Matthews expandable?

If the Leafs sign Tavares, then yes that makes Matthews expandable.

Matthews will get so upset at Tavares that he will eat all the hotdogs Kessel left in storage at the ACC, causing him to expand in size.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Does that make Matthews expandable? I get Matthews don’t grow on trees, but that’s a lot of money tied up in two 1c’s.

With the cap and money in mind and the future signings of Nylander and Marner what would Arizona need to offer to satisfy a trade?

19 1st (unprotected)
20 1st (unprotected)
Hayton
Crouse/Dvorak

This is also clearly hypothetical, so no need with the he’s not available bs. What’s it take from Arizona?
There's enough money to go around. So long as they don't get stupid.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
If we land Tavares, I would make Nylander available for a defenseman.

I would look at something like Parayko for Nylander as the basis of a deal if St. Louis had interest in Nylander as a centre.

Matthews would be the last player to become expendable if we acquire Tavares.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
If anyone is available it would be Nylander. I don't think they MUST move somebody to fit Nylander but it would give you the freedom to balance out the DCore with the forwards.

Reactions: exporta

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Don't think there's a deal to be made. Toronto is clearly trying to win sooner rather than later, and although the Yotes have some quality future pieces, it doesn't line up with what the Leafs are trying to do.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'm sorry, but I just don't see Tavares signing anywhere to be the 2C. Much less to play under that microscope...who knows though, maybe he'll surprise me.

Meh, it would be #1A/#1B. That was also Kadri/Matthews deployment last year. People get too caught up in designations sometimes.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Basically this.

Whoever gives the best defense value for Nylander or Kadri that fits the Leafs needs I think is the direction they would go.

They'd probably prefer to move Kadri, but Nylander may give them a better return.

Its close. Kadri is better for win now while nylander is better for long term. I would hate to lose either of them.

member 300185

Does that make Matthews expandable? I get Matthews don’t grow on trees, but that’s a lot of money tied up in two 1c’s.

With the cap and money in mind and the future signings of Nylander and Marner what would Arizona need to offer to satisfy a trade?

19 1st (unprotected)
20 1st (unprotected)
Hayton
Crouse/Dvorak

This is also clearly hypothetical, so no need with the he’s not available bs. What’s it take from Arizona?
Not a chance in hell. The starts with OEL and goes from there.

member 300185

No it does not if they sign Tavares they run this

Hyman Matthews Nylander

Kapanen Tavares Marner

Marleau Kadri Brown/ Johnsson
Johnsson should replace Hyman on the first line. He does the same thing that Hyman does.....except with a lot more skill.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Correct, but we’re dealing with the classic Toronto fans that never read the whole OP.
Once you ask if Matthews is expendable, whatever is written past that is nothing but fluff...the answer is a swift no. You see saying something like "no need for the he's not available posts...what's it take from Arizona?" doesn't change the fact that in no way does Matthews become available....there's no other answer.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Once you ask if Matthews is expendable, whatever is written past that is nothing but fluff...the answer is a swift no. You see saying something like "no need for the he's not available posts...what's it take from Arizona?" doesn't change the fact that in no way does Matthews become available....there's no other answer.

You also must have missed the hypothetical part. It’ll be fun when Matthews gives Toronto the middle finger and leaves on his own accord.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
You also must have missed the hypothetical part. It’ll be fun when Matthews gives Toronto the middle finger and leaves on his own accord.

right. How many stars players have done this exactly? Leafs would just trade him before this happens. If this was the NBA I'd honestly be a bit worried about it since player movement in that league is much more exciting than the NHL, here most players don't "rock the boat" per say. Even if he only signs for 5 years next summer he can still re-up long term. Value right now is Keller + 2019 1st + something else. I don't care if that's a high price, it's what you pay for right now a top 5 asset in the league.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I forgot this rule that teams are only allowed to have one star centre.

Does that only apply to the leafs?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
It will also be fun when Stamkos and Tavares both sign in their hometown of Toronto....oh wait.

This site locks any "hypothetical" McDavid thread, the same should be done for Eichel and Matthews. And honestly, even in your hypothetical fantasy world....you think the offer in the OP is close?

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
We really need another thread about JT and the leafs ? Lol The answer to your question is obviously no

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad