Value of: If Toronto Signs Tavares

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Does that make Matthews expandable? I get Matthews don’t grow on trees, but that’s a lot of money tied up in two 1c’s.

With the cap and money in mind and the future signings of Nylander and Marner what would Arizona need to offer to satisfy a trade?

19 1st (unprotected)
20 1st (unprotected)
Hayton
Crouse/Dvorak

This is also clearly hypothetical, so no need with the he’s not available bs. What’s it take from Arizona?

If you ever want Matthews in AZ, it’ll start with OEL and Keller.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yeah we’ll just wait until his rfa years are done. No way he sticks around in Toronto

You guys don't need him, Hayton is a slam dunk #1C next year I bet. There's no room for two generational centers in Houston.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Neither Kadri or Matthews would be expendable.
You really don't think Kadri, who could be a 1st line centre on a lot of other teams and is making nearly 5 million a year, wouldn't be expendable if we signed Tavares? Being expendable doesn't mean we HAVE to trade him, just that we could if we wanted to improve somewhere else, or if we ran into cap trouble.

Reactions: Carter IV

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Expandable?

There is the "golden (nation) rule". All GTA (Toronto area) born players not playing for Toronto want to return home and play for the Leafs. All non-GTA born players playing for Toronto will never want to leave to play for their home team.

Those are the rules ..... sorry.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You really don't think Kadri, who could be a 1st line centre on a lot of other teams and is making nearly 5 million a year, wouldn't be expendable if we signed Tavares? Being expendable doesn't mean we HAVE to trade him, just that we could if we wanted to improve somewhere else, or if we ran into cap trouble.

Having bargain contracts is super important when the cap crunch comes. Kadri's contract is among the greatest value we have. We'd be absolutely stupid to move it. Especially when we'd end up needing to pay probably ~4 million for a quality 3C to play behind Matthews/Tavares anyway.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Does that make Matthews expandable? I get Matthews don’t grow on trees, but that’s a lot of money tied up in two 1c’s.

With the cap and money in mind and the future signings of Nylander and Marner what would Arizona need to offer to satisfy a trade?

19 1st (unprotected)
20 1st (unprotected)
Hayton
Crouse/Dvorak

This is also clearly hypothetical, so no need with the he’s not available bs. What’s it take from Arizona?
Well it will all depend on what kind of relationship Matthews and Babcock have going forward. No fan will know what he's thinking because he'll become an UFA at the age of 25 if he doesn't sign an 8 year extension with the Leafs. If the Leafs sign Tavares maybe Matthews will decide that he'll sign a new contract to bring him to the age of 25 so he can play elsewhere or maybe like Tavares have dreams of playing for his hometown team, Arizona.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
They don't have to do anything right away. Depending on what happens with Nylander this summer, at some point they will most likely have to get rid of one of Marner or Nylander to keep both Tavares and Matthews.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They don't have to do anything right away. Depending on what happens with Nylander this summer, at some point they will most likely have to get rid of one of Marner or Nylander to keep both Tavares and Matthews.

You can get the same kinds of savings by replacing Brown/Hyman types with Marlies instead of paying them 4+ mil on their next contracts. Same with Gardiner/Hainsey types being replaced by Dermott/Liljegren at less than 1/3 the price.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I would think nylander would be expendable for a defenseman then.

This. I believe that IF they land Tavares (and I don’t think they will) the Nylander should return a young quality piece that improves their defence.

With the leafs forward depth, they really don’t need more scoring. Tavares gives them a free boost to move offence for defence.

I do not see Matthews or Marner going anywhere. The rest can are debatable IMO.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Matthews expandable? Hilarious....

Players of that caliber are never, ever, ever expandable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad