Value of: If Toronto Signs Tavares

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
right. How many stars players have done this exactly? Leafs would just trade him before this happens. If this was the NBA I'd honestly be a bit worried about it since player movement in that league is much more exciting than the NHL, here most players don't "rock the boat" per say. Even if he only signs for 5 years next summer he can still re-up long term. Value right now is Keller + 2019 1st + something else. I don't care if that's a high price, it's what you pay for right now a top 5 asset in the league.

Appreciate the accurate response, that’s what i was looking for.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
If you want Matthews it starts with OEL and you may even have to add Keller. Yup, that's insane, nobody in their right mind would make that offer. So the Leafs just keep Matthews and roll with Matthews JT as their top 2 C.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
It will also be fun when Stamkos and Tavares both sign in their hometown of Toronto....oh wait.

This site locks any "hypothetical" McDavid thread, the same should be done for Eichel and Matthews. And honestly, even in your hypothetical fantasy world....you think the offer in the OP is close?

Unknown on if it was close or not. I excluded OEL because of cap reasons

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Should have pitched it as " If Babcock and Matthews cannot co-exist and you sign Tavares..."

Then you get rid of Babcock.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
i just can't see Kapanen and Marner as JT's wingmen

he plays heavy and what's needed are two other guys who can play that game
I think Marner would be a great linemate for Tavares. I can see J.T getting career highs in goals if he plays with Marner. I do agree that a grittier L.W is needed. Maybe Levio can be their Hyman.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
As a Leafs fan, I'd deal Matthews...

Just send OEL, Keller, Dvorak and 2019 1st.

Thanks.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lets get this straight.

If we get Tavares, and even thats a big *if*; None of Matthews, Nylander, or Marner become available. Kadri also doesn't immediately become available because we have a literal "f***-ton" of cap space this season coming up.

The problem becomes Zaitsev, Marleau, and Martin 2 seasons from now, but by all accounts I believe Zaitsev and Martin can be traded to dumb gms with no retention (lol), with Marleau being the only issue. Thing is that he could still be productive for a team thats trying to hit the floor if he doesn't mind getting traded, or he'll retire.

We have more than enough cap to go around with 3 of our most important players (Kadri, Rielly, and Andersen) signed to cost effective long-term contracts. And very few other players signed for more than more 2 years.

Next season:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

*drool

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So you want us to trade a 1C who is still has 1 year of his ELC because we sign another 1C who is coming up on 30(yes I know he has a few years to go) but come on man.

If we are lucky enough to have JT agree to sign with us we are likely to make one of two trades:
  • Nylander as he is likely the odd man out in signing the kids after we get JT;
  • Or Kadri as Nylander while more expensive than Kadri could drop to the 3C role and be signed long term. I think because of KAdri's cap hit and his style of play would likely mean its Nylander who is traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad