Speculation: If the Pens lose Evgeni Malkin could be on the block.

• Thread starter Detroit Sports*
  • Start date

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Imagine Malkin and Datsyuk on the same team! Maybe they would have so much fun they decide to stay for 5 more years, and we win multiple Stanley Cups :handclap:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Kronwall + Tatar + Sproul + Mrazek + 1st

Add Horton via FA. Hi, ECF.

Malkin is never leaving the Penguins though, I'm not even sure that package is enough TBH. I've always thought Malkin is better than Crosby.

Kronwall has a full NTC for the next 3 years he cant be moved for any reason without his consent He's not going any where.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
This is the primary reason. The Pens could get a young star like Landeskog, somebody in his class, of which the Wings have none currently.

I think Holland would make such a move if he had the pieces like that. This is the type of deal, the "right type of player" he'd overpay for, I'd assume. If Holland was in on Nash, you know he'd be in on a far superior Malkin.

again, these teams will only give up these kinds of assets for a malkin willing to sign long term. if he doesn't want to sign long term in dallas (or edmonton as others have suggested), a deal cannot be done. malkin controls his destiny similar to staal last year, if he wants out.

this is the only possibility for us landing malkin - he has to want to come here and sign long term. it makes sense that we'd be on his short list (good track record as an organization and a great russian superstar to team up with), but thats just speculation

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
:wings
Malkin

:pens
Franzen
Tatar
Andersson or Sheahan
Det 1st 2013
Det 1st 2014

Malkin-Datsyuk-Brunner
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Samuelsson
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Tootoo/Bertuzzi-Andersson or Sheahan-Cleary

Flippula walks

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Kindl
Scuderi-Smith

What a buddy and I were discussing as a possible roster for next year. Thoughts?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Filppula + Franzen + Smith + Jarnkrok + Mrazek + 1st for Malkin

more?

Right let's just let us give up our future for some one that may only be with us for one season, Smith Jarnkrok and Mrazek are all part of our future plans and it would be dumb to give them up for 1 year of Malkin. Malkin made it pretty clear that he would only sign long term with Pittsburgh.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I do not see the pens letting Malkin go! I don't see us getting him! I see us getting Iginla before anyone else on their roster. Especially with us moving to the east next year it would cost us WAY too much to land Malkin.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Please no. I don't want to spend $10+ million on him as well as giving Pittsburgh all of our promising young players.

Right here.

If he could be signed as an FA without the trade, the Cap hit would be fine(maybe?). But not with the Cap hit, plus every prospect the Wings have.

I think aside from the Pens, the Wings are probably next in line because of Datsyuk.

Plus, hasn't he said he's happy with the Pens and he's staying there?

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
Right here.

If he could be signed as an FA without the trade, the Cap hit would be fine(maybe?). But not with the Cap hit, plus every prospect the Wings have.

I think aside from the Pens, the Wings are probably next in line because of Datsyuk.

Plus, hasn't he said he's happy with the Pens and he's staying there?

Sorry, but why? I understand that Geno and Dats are good friends, but what makes us next in line because of him and not say, Dallas because of Gonchar?

There's not a lot of evidence if you're basing it off the fact that we have a better chance at Geno because of one Russian on our team, who may or may not be with us beyond next season. Also, if Dats is re-signed then we likely won't have the cap space to sign Geno anyway...

I agree with your last sentence, I think Geno will stay in Pitt and take a small discount to stay.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Sorry, but why? I understand that Geno and Dats are good friends, but what makes us next in line because of him and not say, Dallas because of Gonchar?

There's not a lot of evidence if you're basing it off the fact that we have a better chance at Geno because of one Russian on our team, who may or may not be with us beyond next season. Also, if Dats is re-signed then we likely won't have the cap space to sign Geno anyway...

I agree with your last sentence, I think Geno will stay in Pitt and take a small discount to stay.

Why? He should go get the max somewhere else and be the man and not second fiddle to boy wonder in Pitt.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I see a trade coming between dallas and pittsburgh

their is clearly a trade history there

dallas just signed geno's best friend for two years for no other real apparent reason

dallas could put together a nice package

something like Benn(on the edge of eliteness), Faska and the 10th overall pick would probably get it done

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
Why? He should go get the max somewhere else and be the man and not second fiddle to boy wonder in Pitt.

Why not? The best two players in the world get to stay together and he's acclimated to the city, organization and players. Not to mention it's better to have great players surrounding you than trying to do it on your own.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why not? The best two players in the world get to stay together and he's acclimated to the city, organization and players. Not to mention it's better to have great players surrounding you than trying to do it on your own.

i dont think the pens will be able to win if they have 2 of the 3 highest paid players in the league, both centres

you just cant win that way

they cant lose neal or letang or both and still expect to win when it matters most

be very smart to trade him now

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
i dont think the pens will be able to win if they have 2 of the 3 highest paid players in the league, both centres

you just cant win that way

they cant lose neal or letang or both and still expect to win when it matters most

be very smart to trade him now

Again says who? The stars failed to show up this year offensively, but that doesn't take away from their cup runs in 2008 and 2009. The year before this one was horrific goaltending and their defense could have used upgrades in the last two years. With Despres, Pouliot, Maata and Harrington all coming up through the system, they'll be just fine without the always pinching and volatile Letang (if it comes to a choice between Letang and Malkin).

Projecting your own needs of wanting Malkin without consideration of Pittsburgh's needs isn't the way to go about analyzing this situation. Would you have traded Zetterberg or Datsyuk before getting rid of other players? Even Pens fans say they would much rather give up Letang than Malkin. Neal also has nothing to do with re-signing Malkin as he's signed for the next 5 years at a decent cap hit relative to output. If Malkin re-signs for approximately 9 million, the Pens are just fine.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Again says who? The stars failed to show up this year offensively, but that doesn't take away from their cup runs in 2008 and 2009. The year before this one was horrific goaltending and their defense could have used upgrades in the last two years. With Despres, Pouliot, Maata and Harrington all coming up through the system, they'll be just fine without the always pinching and volatile Letang (if it comes to a choice between Letang and Malkin).

Projecting your own needs of wanting Malkin without consideration of Pittsburgh's needs isn't the way to go about analyzing this situation. Would you have traded Zetterberg or Datsyuk before getting rid of other players? Even Pens fans say they would much rather give up Letang than Malkin. Neal also has nothing to do with re-signing Malkin as he's signed for the next 5 years at a decent cap hit relative to output. If Malkin re-signs for approximately 9 million, the Pens are just fine.

says me and their recent history in the playoffs and the fact no team has won using such a method

kings
bruins
hawks
pens
wings
ducks
canes

none of them had that formula, that is two of the 3 highest paid players and then filler throughout the balance of their lineup

the last team to attempt such a scenario was the tampa bay lightening(after they won the cup) and it bombed and blew up in their face so much so that they were forced to trade away their conn smyth trophy winner and become a lottery team 2 of the last 4 seasons.

second I have 0% interest in trading for malkin, zero percent. would i advocate for signing datsyuk and zetterberg to two of the three largest contracts in the nhl? absoutely not espescially if it cost us our #1 dman(in our case lidstrom) or prevented us from building a deep and talented roster(rafalski, franzen, kronwall, filppula et al.)

we'e now on the other side of that cycle hopefully positioned well to go back up it over the next few years

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
I think Nill is chasing him.

Went to go get Gonchar for two years, see if he can make that happen.

Then can flip Benn++ or Eriksson +++ for Malkin.

Before anyone says it he has those assets in play down there with young superstars on good contracts. His owner, the new Dallas owner could easily do the 10 million probably + a little more it would take to get Geno. It would put a major stamp on the organization by both the new owner and Nill. While I have doubted that the Pens will truly shop him Dallas because of the stars ages and contracts is exactly the kind of partner Pittsburgh is looking for should they attempt to move Malkin.

That would be such a dumb move by Nill. Trade away their two "stallions" +++ would set them back years, when in fact they would only need a couple of upgrades to be able to make a serious run at Lord Stanley. And guess who could very well be able to carry them all the way? Eriksson and Benn. In a couple of years we will see Dallas become one of the forces of West. But yeah, they need to add some more pieces, and not move 75 percent of them.

crashman

If we're gonna dream big here, let me throw this out there... (an probably get crucified)

Sign both the Sedin's on the cheap when their contracts expire. They're pretty up there in age, but those guys are still magic together. They'd benefit a lot from not having to be depended on for leadership, we got that covered here. I think they'd take a discount to play in Detroit with all the Swedes for a cup.

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
says me and their recent history in the playoffs and the fact no team has won using such a method

kings
bruins
hawks
pens
wings
ducks
canes

none of them had that formula, that is two of the 3 highest paid players and then filler throughout the balance of their lineup

the last team to attempt such a scenario was the tampa bay lightening(after they won the cup) and it bombed and blew up in their face so much so that they were forced to trade away their conn smyth trophy winner and become a lottery team 2 of the last 4 seasons.

second I have 0% interest in trading for malkin, zero percent. would i advocate for signing datsyuk and zetterberg to two of the three largest contracts in the nhl? absoutely not espescially if it cost us our #1 dman(in our case lidstrom) or prevented us from building a deep and talented roster(rafalski, franzen, kronwall, filppula et al.)

we'e now on the other side of that cycle hopefully positioned well to go back up it over the next few years

Really? You might want to double check your information before making bold claims like that.

The salary cap in 2006-07 was $44,000,000. The Ducks' two highest paid players were Scott Niedermayer ($6,750,000) and Chris Pronger ($6,250,000). That's 29.5 or 30% of the salary cap in that season. If Malkin and Crosby were each paid approximately $9,000,000 of the $64,300,000 cap, that would be roughly 27.5 or 28% of the cap.

So do you want to try again?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If we're gonna dream big here, let me throw this out there... (an probably get crucified)

Sign both the Sedin's on the cheap when their contracts expire. They're pretty up there in age, but those guys are still magic together. They'd benefit a lot from not having to be depended on for leadership, we got that covered here. I think they'd take a discount to play in Detroit with all the Swedes for a cup.

I wouldn't have a problem signing the Sedins, but unless they want to test the market, I can't imagine Vancouver letting them go.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Shero did all of us a favor...plus, we can stop the silly trade proposals. I appreciate his promptness...big bucket of water on the rumor mongers.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
I forgot where I heard this so I can't give you a source but you could probably google it. When Shero was extending Crosby, he told Crosby that Malkin would be signed at a greater cap hit and he was okay with that. So this was always the plan for Shero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad