Speculation: If the Pens lose Evgeni Malkin could be on the block.

• Thread starter Detroit Sports*
  • Start date

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Malkin's caphit will be +10 million after his extension. I really don't think that would fit under our structure. It also creates a huge payraise pressure inside the team after guys will start matching his scoring or even half of it.

It really does nont work. We are destined to go with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Järnkrok, and guys...

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
If any team has a shot at Malkin it'll be a team in the west like St.Louis. They could offer Pietrangelo, 2014 1st rounder, and Berglund for him. Is it overpayment? Yes, but that's what it'll likely take to get a franchise centerman like Geno. Also, the trade would likely be contingent on an extension.

Detroit just don't have the quality (in what we'd give up) to beat other teams out. The only advantage would be if Geno had us on his short list of teams he wanted to go to...

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
If any team has a shot at Malkin it'll be a team in the west like St.Louis. They could offer Pietrangelo, 2014 1st rounder, and Berglund for him. Is it overpayment? Yes, but that's what it'll likely take to get a franchise centerman like Geno. Also, the trade would likely be contingent on an extension.

Detroit just don't have the quality (in what we'd give up) to beat other teams out. The only advantage would be if Geno had us on his short list of teams he wanted to go to...

That or a bottom dweller with some good prospects.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

They are not going to sell Pietrangelo. That's for sure, he's their Lidström, last player ever to be traded anywhere from there. It could be Bouwmeester + Berglund + goalie -style of trade. Bouwmeester would fit great with Letang and you get 2-3 pieces with one Malkin caphit to spread the talent. Pens will lose a superstar talent, but this is cap league and better on long run that way.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tony Amonte's view of the Penguins problems:

According to Tony Amonte, former NHLer who appeared on Comcast SportsNet New England in Boston had this to say regarding the Penguins and their recent struggles:

"I don't know. I don't know what made it turn. But something turned with Sidney Crosby. The way he approached the game, the way he approached the fans. It doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't feel sincere. And that's why I kind of turned on him. Hearing some different stories about him inside the locker room and the one thing that I kind of think I know is ... the Conn Smythe".

He continues:

"I think he is so jealous of Evgeni Malkin winning that trophy [as the playoff MVP] a few years ago. I'm telling you – he wants it all. He thinks he is an elite player, in the same conversation with Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Sakic and these guys, and to do that, you need to win a Conn Smythe, you have to have that on your resume if you want to be talked about the way those guys are. I think it eats him up that they won that Cup and he didn't get the Conn Smythe."

Link: http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2013/0...s-tony-amonte/

If we could get Geno, we would have two Conn Smythe Winners. Would Datsyuk becom jealous... ;)

Of course not. Our leaders are team players, not crybabies that cry after individual trophies. :shakehead

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Please no. I don't want to spend $10+ million on him as well as giving Pittsburgh all of our promising young players.

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
They are not going to sell Pietrangelo. That's for sure, he's their Lidström, last player ever to be traded anywhere from there. It could be Bouwmeester + Berglund + goalie -style of trade. Bouwmeester would fit great with Letang and you get 2-3 pieces with one Malkin caphit to spread the talent. Pens will lose a superstar talent, but this is cap league and better on long run that way.

Quantity does not compensate for quality. If you're trading Malkin, you're never going to get equal value in return, but Pitt's going to want to get another established, star going their way. Malkin is less likely to be moved than Pietrangelo, so it would make sense that St.Louis would need to give a player like him up to get the first line center they've been clamoring for so long for.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quantity does not compensate for quality. If you're trading Malkin, you're never going to get equal value in return, but Pitt's going to want to get another established, star going their way. Malkin is less likely to be moved than Pietrangelo, so it would make sense that St.Louis would need to give a player like him up to get the first line center they've been clamoring for so long for.

If the problem is at Pittsburgh, they will lose at value. Two super-high salaries are their becoming problem. St. Louis Blues don't have to trade anybody.

But I love this situation. An organization having two generational lottery pick -talents is going to lose another one, because of the salary cap works that way, the market works that way and loser organizations hoarding high picks will get punished that way.

crashman

I wouldn't want to give up the assets for him, and as brilliant as he plays at time, I still think he's soft.

If he ever hits free-agency, then I'd be interested.

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
If the problem is at Pittsburgh, they will lose at value. Two super-high salaries are their becoming problem. St. Louis Blues don't have to trade anybody.

But I love this situation. An organization having two generational lottery pick -talents is going to lose another one, because of the salary cap works that way, the market works that way and loser organizations hoarding high picks will get punished that way.

Of course, St.Louis doesn't have to give up anyone, especially if they don't want Malkin. But to assume the best package Pitt would receive from the Blues would be Bouwmeester, Berglund and a pick/goalie is wild.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

That's a little harsh on the Pens- it's not like those 2 were drafted 4 or 5 years apart. It's not hoarding early 1st round picks to take 2 generational talents in consecutive years. They obviously drafted the right guys, it panned out in a big way as they've won as many Cups as Detroit has since they were drafted, and both guys are perennial Hart trophy candidates.

I'd guess that the Pens brass were hoping for both guys to quickly develop into 2 of the top players in the league, and that's how it played out. Sure, it would have helped their cap situation for one of the 2 to only turn out to be a B-level player, but alas... they were cursed with 2 of the top three or four players in the world. That's a problem most GM's would sign up to deal with.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That's a little harsh on the Pens- it's not like those 2 were drafted 4 or 5 years apart. It's not hoarding early 1st round picks to take 2 generational talents in consecutive years. They obviously drafted the right guys, it panned out in a big way as they've won as many Cups as Detroit has since they were drafted, and both guys are perennial Hart trophy candidates.

I'd guess that the Pens brass were hoping for both guys to quickly develop into 2 of the top players in the league, and that's how it played out. Sure, it would have helped their cap situation for one of the 2 to only turn out to be a B-level player, but alas... they were cursed with 2 of the top three or four players in the world. That's a problem most GM's would sign up to deal with.

That's nice luxyry when you have the two greatest talents, but that isn't when other one starts to be a mental headcase that hurts the team. And I mean the crybaby one, not the Conn Smythe one.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
They were not. That's why they lost in quarter finals.

And it was Ovy-Malkin-Semin, Kovy-Dats- and, err.. Radulov iirc.
Kovy-Dats-Afinogenov. The only line that was a + in that massacre.

Kovy-Dats-Malkin played together in the World's 2011. Looked good, but I would not use him as a winger again.

We should throw everything we can at Malkin if Datsyuk bolts to KHL. If not, then not.

Christien

May 1, 2010
iirc they were dominant together along with Kovulchuk in the 2010 olympics

No. They were all on a line in the WC a couple years ago. One of the best lines in the whole tournament. It was Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Malkin. I don't believe Malkin & Datsyuk played together in Vancouver.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Ok here goes:

Malkin to DET

To Pens:Mrazek,Ouelette,Smith,Tatar,Pulkinen and 2013 18th pick?

Will that do it? Over-payment?

Way overpayment on Detroits part, And besides Malkin on his next deal will want between $9Mil-$10mil a year and there is no way that Detroit can afford to give Malkin that kind of salary especially if were looking to extend Datayuk here for a few more years.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Way overpayment on Detroits part, And besides Malkin on his next deal will want between $9Mil-$10mil a year and there is no way that Detroit can afford to give Malkin that kind of salary especially if were looking to extend Datsyuk here for a few more years.

PS would love to have Malkin dont get me wrong but Detroit wold have to way overpay big time and financially i just dont see us being able to afford him, I seriously doubt that Ken Holland will pay any one more then both Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Please no. I don't want to spend $10+ million on him as well as giving Pittsburgh all of our promising young players.

I would if it got that kind of talent on the team. Malkin is better than any player we have on the team right now (not including Datsyuk but even that is arguable). I also don't see a single prospect becoming close to what Malkin is as a hockey player.

If you want to win, you have to take risks. Malkin would be a risk I would take 100% of the time.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
PS would love to have Malkin dont get me wrong but Detroit wold have to way overpay big time and financially i just dont see us being able to afford him, I seriously doubt that Ken Holland will pay any one more then both Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

It's a salary cap league now, and generally FA contracts increase over time- can't really have that "we won't pay a guy more than our best player" mentality anymore. Teams and players know that the highest paid player on a team isn't necessarily always the best player- it can be the most recently signed player.

If an elite player becomes available to the Wings, they better be willing to pay more per year than either Pavel or Hank are pulling in or they'll never be able to sign those type of guys. And based on when D & Z signed their deals and the current CBA format, I'm sure they'd understand that it's the way NHL contracts work now.

That's nice luxyry when you have the two greatest talents, but that isn't when other one starts to be a mental headcase that hurts the team. And I mean the crybaby one, not the Conn Smythe one.

I suppose that Amonte could be plugged into the Pens locker room scene, but he never played for the Pens so I don't really get his connection to the team. It'd be like Yzerman talking about the Islanders' locker room situation years after he retired- seems strange.

Anyway, I think all great players want to be in the conversation for best ever to play a sport- it's that competitiveness which combines with their talent to separate them from the pack. I don't have a problem w/ Sid wanting to be mentioned with Gretzky and Lemieux, as that means he's not settling for just being one of the best players of his era. And the Conn Smythe comments from Amonte really just sound like his opinion and speculation anyway.

Push comes to shove :)sarcasm:), and I'd gladly take Malkin or Crosby on the Wings and figure out the cap situation on the fly.

Yzerberg

May 6, 2013
Western Kentucky
Do nothing big this summer then next summer buy out Mule and let Bert, Sam, & Quincey expire and make a run at Malkin. That's probably the only way Malkin comes to Detroit.

Malkin at worst is the 3rd best player in the NHL and arguably THE best and will only be 27 this summer. Even if you rank him 3rd he's closer to 1st than the 4th best player is to him at 3rd. They're not giving him away.

If he's available to us through trade, the asking price would be something like Zetterberg and picks or Gus, Dekeyser, Ironhook, Mrazek, picks and take Fleury off their hands.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It's a salary cap league now, and generally FA contracts increase over time- can't really have that "we won't pay a guy more than our best player" mentality anymore. Teams and players know that the highest paid player on a team isn't necessarily always the best player- it can be the most recently signed player.

If an elite player becomes available to the Wings, they better be willing to pay more per year than either Pavel or Hank are pulling in or they'll never be able to sign those type of guys. And based on when D & Z signed their deals and the current CBA format, I'm sure they'd understand that it's the way NHL contracts work now.

I agree Zetterberg took less money to stay in Detroit he could have easilly taken more money on the open market and Datsyuk pretty much the same way if he choose to go to another team after his contract is up next season he could easilly command $8 million on a short term deal and i wont be surprise if the does'nt get that here in Detroit on let's say a 4 year deal that takes him to 40 and then go home to Russia and play for another 2 or 3 years.
I suppose that Amonte could be plugged into the Pens locker room scene, but he never played for the Pens so I don't really get his connection to the team. It'd be like Yzerman talking about the Islanders' locker room situation years after he retired- seems strange.

Anyway, I think all great players want to be in the conversation for best ever to play a sport- it's that competitiveness which combines with their talent to separate them from the pack. I don't have a problem w/ Sid wanting to be mentioned with Gretzky and Lemieux, as that means he's not settling for just being one of the best players of his era. And the Conn Smythe comments from Amonte really just sound like his opinion and speculation anyway.

Push comes to shove :)sarcasm:), and I'd gladly take Malkin or Crosby on the Wings and figure out the cap situation on the fly.

Same here I would take either Geno or Crosby on the Wings any time.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Ok here goes:

Malkin to DET

To Pens:Mrazek,Ouelette,Smith,Tatar,Pulkinen and 2013 18th pick?

Will that do it? Over-payment?

Not even close to an overpayment in my book. We'd trade one regular roster player who was a #4 D this season and add a top3 player in the league.. A package of (good) prospects is easily worth that and one I'd make all day long. Prospects can be replaced, superstars can't. Malkin is only 26 years old.

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
any trade for malkin would include an extension, just like the jordan staal trade. otherwise the pens don't get enough value to move him.

that means malkin gets to pick where he wants to go. i'd hope with datsyuk here and a strong tradition, we'd be on his short list (if he were to get moved). thats why even though a team like st louis has more nhl-ready assets, if malkin doesn't want to sign long term there, that trade doesn't happen.

i assume there's no way he's getting moved, but if he's not going to sign an extension with pitt, they might be inclined to move him, as history says they might given what they did with staal. if thats the case, we have to hope he wants to come to detroit. if those two criteria are met, then we can start discussing assets. my guess would be mrazek+2013 first+2014 first+sproul/ouellet+sheahan/jarnkrok. might be able to substitute tatar/nyquist for the d-men if they feel they're set on defense (they have as good a d prospect pool as us, as many have pointed out).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad