Speculation: If the Pens lose Evgeni Malkin could be on the block.

• Thread starter Detroit Sports*
  • Start date

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Reasons why Malkin will never wear the Winged Wheel.

Ken Holland won't trade away any assets. ( assuming he had the assets to acquire a player like Malkin)

Wings don't have the assets.

Malkin signing as a FA would mean he signed at below market value since Ken Holland only over pays for third/fourth line talent.

Ken Holland is the GM of the Detroit Red Wings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not even close to an overpayment in my book. We'd trade one regular roster player who was a #4 D this season and add a top3 player in the league.. A package of (good) prospects is easily worth that and one I'd make all day long. Prospects can be replaced, superstars can't. Malkin is only 26 years old.

It is also not the kind of offer they would even think about from a Pittsburgh standpoint.

I know it makes people uncomfortable but lets imagine for a second what you would trade Datsyuk for. Now think he is actually younger and better. Even if you look at Malkin as a rental you want more established talent than we are throwing around in these proposals, now look at it as you want him extended which is what we would want. Like I said if the situation is even a 35 year old Datsyuk, you are going to want more established players. We don't have it, this would literally be the biggest guy in this league traded since Wayne Gretzky. The package should reflect that. Maybe Bure counts there but, I think it would be Gretzky in all honesty.

Dats Y

Jun 3, 2013
any trade for malkin would include an extension, just like the jordan staal trade. otherwise the pens don't get enough value to move him.

that means malkin gets to pick where he wants to go. i'd hope with datsyuk here and a strong tradition, we'd be on his short list (if he were to get moved). thats why even though a team like st louis has more nhl-ready assets, if malkin doesn't want to sign long term there, that trade doesn't happen.

i assume there's no way he's getting moved, but if he's not going to sign an extension with pitt, they might be inclined to move him, as history says they might given what they did with staal. if thats the case, we have to hope he wants to come to detroit. if those two criteria are met, then we can start discussing assets. my guess would be mrazek+2013 first+2014 first+sproul/ouellet+sheahan/jarnkrok. might be able to substitute tatar/nyquist for the d-men if they feel they're set on defense (they have as good a d prospect pool as us, as many have pointed out).

Definitely. As I pointed out, any Malkin trade would be contingent on him signing an extension AND ultimately come down to where he wants to go. However, the more likely scenario is Pitt keeps both Crosby and Malkin and find a way to shed salary/rebuild elsewhere.

Also, imo, in any deal Pitt will likely be seeking a relatively established top 2-3 NHL defenseman, a top 6 center and draft picks.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Kovy-Dats-Afinogenov. The only line that was a + in that massacre.

Kovy-Dats-Malkin played together in the World's 2011. Looked good, but I would not use him as a winger again.

We should throw everything we can at Malkin if Datsyuk bolts to KHL. If not, then not.

*2010. 2011 neither Dats or Malkin was in WCs. Dats was still in playoffs and Malkin had knee injury.

Octopus

May 17, 2006
Ok here goes:

Malkin to DET

To Pens:Mrazek,Ouelette,Smith,Tatar,Pulkinen and 2013 18th pick?

Will that do it? Over-payment?

TOO MUCH FOR SURE...Pittsburgh doesn't need another defensive prospect so Ouellet comes out. I'd throw in Andersson but would keep the 18th pick.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I don't think we have the assets to do this deal.

I think we have the assets, but won't be willing to part with them.

Nyquist + Jurco + DeKeyser + Sproul + Mrazek + multiple 1st round picks

I think that could get a dialog going at least. Two cheap and highly talented NHL-ready players, a really good forward prospect, a really good defense prospect, and a really good goalie prospect, plus at least 2 or 3 first round picks.

The Wings don't have the top-end talent that some other teams have, but they do have a whole bunch of very good prospects. You could include Frk, Ouellet, Sheahan, Jensen, etc. depending on Pittsburgh's preferences and demands.

It's a one year rental so it's incredibly risky if he goes back to Russia or you lose him via UFA next summer, so I don't think the Wings would consider it. Someone would probably make a run at him if they make him available though.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Malkin + Fleury(cap dump) + rights to Morrow to DET

<>

Howard + Franzen + rights to Filppula + Kronwall to Pittsburgh.

Then Wings will buy Fleury out, sign Morrow and promote Mrazek to start.

LET's BURN SOME MONEY.

Abdelkader - Malkin - Brunner
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Nyquist - Helm - Morrow
Tatar - Andersson - Samuelsson

DeKeyser - Ericsson
Quincey - Smith
Kindl - Colaiacovo

Mrazek
(Gustavsson)

(I really didn't took this with any serious)
thats a pretty bad defence, no?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
We definitely have the assets to make a trade for Malkin but I doubt the Pens would trade him here and no way Holland would want to give up those assets.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
how about this:

any and all potential future organizational success for the next 10 years for malkin?

because thats about what it would do to try and acquire malkin other than on the UFA market

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Reasons why Malkin will never wear the Winged Wheel.

Ken Holland won't trade away any assets. ( assuming he had the assets to acquire a player like Malkin)

Malkin signing as a FA would mean he signed at below market value since Ken Holland only over pays for third/fourth line talent.

Ken Holland is the GM of the Detroit Red Wings.

broken_record.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think we have the pieces, but someone else will pay more. I think it was on the trade board that someone brought up Edmonton, and I can see that making a whole lot of sense if the Pens thought of moving Malkin. I don't think it happens, though. I think the Pens re-sign him for roughly what Crosby is getting.

Actual Thought*

Malkin's caphit will be +10 million after his extension. I really don't think that would fit under our structure. It also creates a huge payraise pressure inside the team after guys will start matching his scoring or even half of it.

It really does nont work. We are destined to go with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Järnkrok, and guys...
I agree which is why I am willing to bet he leaves Pittsburgh. I don't think they will pay him more than wonder boy. His cap hit is $8.7 mil. I will roll on the floor laughing if he leaves the Pens no matter where he goes.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I agree which is why I am willing to bet he leaves Pittsburgh. I don't think they will pay him more than wonder boy. His cap hit is $8.7 mil. I will roll on the floor laughing if he leaves the Pens no matter where he goes.

Crosby may have a $8.7 cap hit but his salary next year is $12m

people need to realize that the new CBA is simply a new reality without the ability to tack small salary years on to the end of long term contracts to massage the cap hit down

I mean....****ing Corey Perry has a $8.6m cap hit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Nill is chasing him.

Went to go get Gonchar for two years, see if he can make that happen.

Then can flip Benn++ or Eriksson +++ for Malkin.

Before anyone says it he has those assets in play down there with young superstars on good contracts. His owner, the new Dallas owner could easily do the 10 million probably + a little more it would take to get Geno. It would put a major stamp on the organization by both the new owner and Nill. While I have doubted that the Pens will truly shop him Dallas because of the stars ages and contracts is exactly the kind of partner Pittsburgh is looking for should they attempt to move Malkin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

This is the primary reason. The Pens could get a young star like Landeskog, somebody in his class, of which the Wings have none currently.

I think Holland would make such a move if he had the pieces like that. This is the type of deal, the "right type of player" he'd overpay for, I'd assume. If Holland was in on Nash, you know he'd be in on a far superior Malkin.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is the primary reason. The Pens could get a young star like Landeskog, somebody in his class, of which the Wings have none currently.

I think Holland would make such a move if he had the pieces like that. This is the type of deal, the "right type of player" he'd overpay for, I'd assume. If Holland was in on Nash, you know he'd be in on a far superior Malkin.

Agree, Holland would pull the trigger on a Malkin deal if it was out there to be had for the Wings. It isn't. Look at what a Dallas, LA or Colorado could offer.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Agree, Holland would pull the trigger on a Malkin deal if it was out there to be had for the Wings. It isn't. Look at what a Dallas, LA or Colorado could offer.

You got it.

This is a conversation we could revisit in a few years if some of the young kids, particularly on the blueline, pan out. But right now the best young asset we have is Nyquist and that's not a significant enough piece to land a player of Malkin's ilk. That's more of a Nash or Gaborik level trade bait. ;)

Nyquist mirrored Nash on the scoresheet this post-season, though, so the Wings are probably content to keep him unless it's for a far, far superior player.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You got it.

This is a conversation we could revisit in a few years if some of the young kids, particularly on the blueline, pan out. But right now the best young asset we have is Nyquist and that's not a significant enough piece to land a player of Malkin's ilk. That's more of a Nash or Gaborik level trade bait. ;)

Nyquist mirrored Nash on the scoresheet this post-season, though, so the Wings are probably content to keep him unless it's for a far, far superior player.

As predicted by a lot of us that hated the Nash talk. ;)

Curious Benchy, what do you think of Malkin for Benn + for your mistress team?

Really one of the only deals I can come up with that makes tons of sense, if the Pens really do move Malkin.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Curious Benchy, what do you think of Malkin for Benn + for your mistress team?

I don't think there's a player on the Stars roster they shouldn't trade for Malkin. Benn, Eriksson, whatever it takes. Benn is strong player, but he'll never sniff Malkin level. Same goes for Eriksson.

Basically, if I'm Nill, I ask what the Penguins want, try to haggle it down a little, but make the move at nearly any cost. He's a top 5 center in the league and you can build around him for the next 10 years. Benn is more suited for the wing anyway, his natural position.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

Would the Avs trade Landeskog for one year of Malkin though? I don't think so.

This is pointless speculation. If Malkin is a Red Wing next year I'll eat every hat that sarcastro has posted this year.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Would the Avs trade Landeskog for one year of Malkin though? I don't think so.

I was using him as an example of the level of player Malkin could command, more than the idea that Colorado is the big pitch maker.

But I don't think anybody trades for him if they earnestly don't believe he'd stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad