Speculation: If the Pens lose Evgeni Malkin could be on the block.

• Thread starter Detroit Sports*
  • Start date

Detroit Sports*

2uf9j89.jpg

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

What do you guys think would be the asking price/ what would be REASONABLE for the Red Wings to offer? He is the Ideal player to play with Datsyuk IMO. I am just wondering what it would take to get him. Or would we be better off waiting til he hits free agency in 13-14?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't believe it and we cannot offer the best offer. Plus if he is made available, it tells me he is going back to Russia for a mega deal the next year. The Pens won't shop Malkin, we don't have the pieces to acquire Malkin.

Detroit Sports*

Don't believe it and we cannot offer the best offer. Plus if he is made available, it tells me he is going back to Russia for a mega deal the next year. The Pens won't shop Malkin, we don't have the pieces to acquire Malkin.

:( Dream killer :laugh:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

While I don't think this will end up happening. I strongly disagree that Malkin would head back to Russia. I'm sure he'd get offers, but I don't see him going back home this soon in his career.

I also disagree that we don't have the pieces to acquire him. I think the #1 thing the Pens will be looking to acquire is defence and goaltending. They can score goals with anyone, but they often struggle defensively.

Our system is overloaded with defensive prospects and Petr Mrazek would be a very enticing piece to them, especially with him leading the Griffin's to the Calder Cup Finals.

I don't think we'd be happy parting with the pieces it would take to get him but guys like Sproul, Dekeyser, Ouelette, Jensen, Mrazek etc would all be enticing to the Penguins as would draft picks.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
While I don't think this will end up happening. I strongly disagree that Malkin would head back to Russia. I'm sure he'd get offers, but I don't see him going back home this soon in his career.

I also disagree that we don't have the pieces to acquire him. I think the #1 thing the Pens will be looking to acquire is defence and goaltending. They can score goals with anyone, but they often struggle defensively.

Our system is overloaded with defensive prospects and Petr Mrazek would be a very enticing piece to them, especially with him leading the Griffin's to the Calder Cup Finals.

I don't think we'd be happy parting with the pieces it would take to get him but guys like Sproul, Dekeyser, Ouelette, Jensen, Mrazek etc would all be enticing to the Penguins as would draft picks.

Pens pool is flush with defensemen as it is. They dont move malkin for that, if at all.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Pens pool is flush with defensemen as it is. They dont move malkin for that, if at all.

You're right, I haven't paid much attention to their prospect pool and they have a lot more D prospects than I remember them having.

Either way though, you don't see roster players being moved for other roster players. Those trades don't seem to happen in the Salary capped NHL, so if, and its a massive if, Malkin gets moved it will be for picks and prospects.

Whether its forward or goaltending prospects they are after, the Wings would be able to field a competitive offer.

Detroit Sports*

Ok here goes:

Malkin to DET

To Pens:Mrazek,Ouelette,Smith,Tatar,Pulkinen and 2013 18th pick?

Will that do it? Over-payment?

irishock

Fire Ken Holland
Jan 15, 2012
Vancouver, BC
If Malkin asks for the bank, Pittsburgh just might not give it to him. They still need to sign a good goaltender, along with Kunitz, Sutter, Iginla, Dupuis, Cooke, Adams, Letang, Niskanen, and Orpik. You know Kunitz, Dupuis and Letang will all ask for big time money.

Tonic

Jan 25, 2013
I don't think it will happen, but here's my shot:

To DET: Evgeni Malkin, 2013 1st round pick (PIT)

To PIT: Dan DeKeyser, Xavier Oulette, Riley Sheahan, Petr Mrazek, 2013 1st round pick (DET), 2013 3rd round pick

This gives Detroit the star they need, while giving PIT two great D prospects, a big center, and a great goalie. The teams also swap 1st rounders this year.

EDIT: I should also add I'd NEVER want to do this trade :)

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Kronwall + Tatar + Sproul + Mrazek + 1st

Add Horton via FA. Hi, ECF.

Malkin is never leaving the Penguins though, I'm not even sure that package is enough TBH. I've always thought Malkin is better than Crosby.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This won't be a prospect laden package though. If they are dealing Malkin they are getting young established star type players, especially if he would do an extension which is the only way you should give up the assets required to land him in the first place.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Dislike Malkin, but oh man would I ever welcome him to this team with open arms. Deal would have to be something like Sproul + Ouelette + Tatar + 2013 1st +2014 first + 2014 second, and even that is probably not enough.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
This won't be a prospect laden package though. If they are dealing Malkin they are getting young established star type players, especially if he would do an extension which is the only way you should give up the assets required to land him in the first place.
That's the thing that hurts the most, we all know the Red Wing's have had arguably the worst draft positions for quite a while, but they've done the most with it out of anyone. No clear superstars but middle depth to top 6 potential like, wait for it....

WHOA!

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I'm not very good at creating/knowing values of trades, but if those packages are what it takes to get Malkin then he better come back with an extention IMO. We'd also probably have to send back cap space, right?

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Messed up my posting, but I wouldn't trade our future him. That many young players who could be solid NHLers for one star is tough.

Either way I think he stays put.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids

Dead on. We literally don't have the pieces.

If Malkin managed to hit the trade block there will be numerous teams that will be able to put together way more attractive offers to Pittsburgh. We don't have the young proven assets that would be required here.

Our only chance at Malkin would be through free agency but I would be really shocked if he got to that point.

apre

Apr 13, 2013
2uf9j89.jpg

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

What do you guys think would be the asking price/ what would be REASONABLE for the Red Wings to offer? He is the Ideal player to play with Datsyuk IMO. I am just wondering what it would take to get him. Or would we be better off waiting til he hits free agency in 13-14?

How does it make sense to put two playmaker centers together? They don't even play in the same line in Russian national team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Malkin + Fleury(cap dump) + rights to Morrow to DET

<>

Howard + Franzen + rights to Filppula + Kronwall to Pittsburgh.

Then Wings will buy Fleury out, sign Morrow and promote Mrazek to start.

LET's BURN SOME MONEY.

Abdelkader - Malkin - Brunner
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Nyquist - Helm - Morrow
Tatar - Andersson - Samuelsson

DeKeyser - Ericsson
Quincey - Smith
Kindl - Colaiacovo

Mrazek
(Gustavsson)

(I really didn't took this with any serious)

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
If they'd trade him West...that's as good as getting him. Pittsburgh would be weaker and he wouldn't be in the East anymore.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Malkin + Fleury(cap dump) + rights to Morrow to DET

<>

Howard + Franzen + rights to Filppula + Kronwall to Pittsburgh.

Then Wings will buy Fleury out, sign Morrow and promote Mrazek to start.

LET's BURN SOME MONEY.

Abdelkader - Malkin - Brunner
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Bertuzzi
Nyquist - Helm - Morrow
Tatar - Andersson - Samuelsson

DeKeyser - Ericsson
Quincey - Smith
Kindl - Colaiacovo

Mrazek
(Gustavsson)

(I really didn't took this with any serious)

it would depend on how Pittsburgh felt about those particular players and what the other offers they got were like(and there would be a lot for sure) but this is a lot more realistic than the other offers in this thread and is the kind of thing Pittsburgh would realistically be looking for if they were looking to trade Malkin(multiple good players signed to long term deals at reasonable cap hits) I highly doubt Malkin goes anywhere though,i'd be incredibly shocked

hypothetically if that deal happened i'd hold off on buying out Fleury though since I don't think Mrazek's ready and bringing him up to be a starter that quickly could potentially damage him long term,slot Fleury in and the compliance buyouts will still be there next offseason if need be(and who knows maybe he has a decent season and builds up some enough trade value to get a draft pick or something)

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Pens keep whiny captain and trade better playoff performer and individual responsible for their 2009 cup.

Whatever floats your boat.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Love to see him in DRW , but just remember what did happen after Forsberg and Thorton trades. Another team won the cop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad