If the Oilers win the Pacific, does Knoblach get consideration for the Jack Adams?

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
Yeah, no. No team plays most of their games in division. 56 are played against non divisional teams. Trying to argue that a team who has played 73 of 82 games and has won 45 of them only happened because they played bad teams is ludicrous.

Or just straight up incredibly lazy trolling. Either way it has no place here.
Just badly worded
26 - Pacific
24 - Central
16 - Atlantic
16 - Metro

So the most games you play against any one division is your own division.

I never claimed that the Oilers run was due to playing bad teams, I was responding someone claiming that all teams schedules are the same, which they are not. By any objective measure the Pacific is the weakest overall.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Just badly worded
26 - Pacific
24 - Central
16 - Atlantic
16 - Metro

I never claimed that the Oilers run was due to playing bad teams, I was responding someone claiming that all teams schedules are the same, which they are not. By any objective measure the Pacific is the weakest overall.
I see what you’re saying now. You’re not wrong.

The bottom part of the Pacific is certainly not strong at all. The top four teams in the Pacific are all legit, but yes, there are some pretty weak teams in that division.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just badly worded
26 - Pacific
24 - Central
16 - Atlantic
16 - Metro

Pacific today has

Nucks 5th overall
Oilers 9th overall
Knights at 11th overall
Kings at 14th overall

As far as playoffs those all seem like very strong teams. Which division has a stronger Top 4? Note I'm not saying Pacific is the strongest ... I'm legit curious how we are 4th though.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Pacific today has

Nucks 5th overall
Oilers 9th overall
Knights at 11th overall
Kings at 14th overall

As far as playoffs those all seem like very strong teams. Which division has a stronger Top 4? Note I'm not saying Pacific is the strongest ... I'm legit curious how we are 4th though.
I’d say the Central, for sure, has a stronger top 4.

Reactions: Czechboy

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
To be honest, I am wondering who else is the front runner for the Jack Adams other than Knoblauch. He is the classic case of a guy who hits all the notes for the criteria for the award. The Oilers were dead in the water when he came in. The idea was that maybe they could secure a wild card spot. But now they are actually pushing for 1st in the division. That is a major turnaround. McDavid was not even close to being in the Art Ross selection.

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
Pacific today has

Nucks 5th overall
Oilers 9th overall
Knights at 11th overall
Kings at 14th overall

Atlantic - 3rd, 7th, 10th, 13th - total 33
Metro- - 1st, 4th, 16th, 17th - total 38
Central - 2nd, 6th, 8th, 12th - total 28
Pacific - 5th, 9th, 11th, 14th - total 39

For what it is worth????

Reactions: Czechboy

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
To be honest, I am wondering who else is the front runner for the Jack Adams other than Knoblauch. He is the classic case of a guy who hits all the notes for the criteria for the award. The Oilers were dead in the water when he came in. The idea was that maybe they could secure a wild card spot. But now they are actually pushing for 1st in the division. That is a major turnaround. McDavid was not even close to being in the Art Ross selection.

The Canucks, Preds, and Flyers were pegged to be lottery teams, the Oilers were pegged to be cup winners.

Yes, they turned their play around under Knoblach but their play under Woodcroft was unsustainably bad. They are playing to a similar level as they did last season.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Just badly worded
26 - Pacific
24 - Central
16 - Atlantic
16 - Metro

Interestingly, I wonder which division spends the most time travelling and nights not in their own beds. But yes... I get that is no excuse for The ducks and sharks. :)

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I think 69 games is enough to be considered with such a large turnaround.

Also to be considered, though, is that the Oilers were considered a top contender until screwing the pooch to start the season, so the team performance with him as coach is only a little better than was predicted for the team to start the year. He deserves credit for a great turnaround and is worth of consideration for the Adams, but with other teams that have outperformed expectations I'll be surprised if he wins.

Take it with a grain of salt, though. As a Canuck fan, even I don't consider myself objective about the Adams or Norris trophies this season.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Jack Adams?
No. The Oilers are underachieving based on all of the pre season hype from the Canadian media. There are a number of much more deserving candidates. Rick Tocchet at this point is pretty much a lock based on results above expectations.
The Canucks went from 83 points last year to 110 point pace this year. An improvement of 27 points.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Eh, maybe it does. As a Stars fan, I'm still steamed Hitch didn't win it back in the day when he raised the Stars record substantially, but Nolan of BUF got it for improving his team by about half as many points. At least around here, we feel that a non-NE or Canadian team literally has to be twice as good as those teams to get individual awards based on the vote (as opposed to Ross, based on actual points), so opinions/love do matter.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Dude, you’re saying that the Oilers are a bad team that is expected to play at a .733 P% rate.

If they are as terrible as you say they are, wouldn’t getting a .733 P% out of them be considered a coaching triumph?
You’re not wrong but at the same time I get the perception of the team. They just feel like a weird case because of how so much of their success is on three guys, and one in particular. The rest of the team can just look sorta ‘meh’ in a game and still win by 7-3 w McDavid getting 5 points. “It’s a team game” but McDavid is so extreme he can literally beat some teams by himself, but the whole team gets the win lol.

Peak Lightning (and even sub peak Lightning) lost Kucherov for huge stretches, and presumably at some point another star simultaneously given Stamkos and Point have recent injury histories, and more or less maintained what people expected of them.

Ditto for a number of other teams over the years. Look at the two centers the Bruins lost, and how they didn’t collapse. I have a harder time expecting the same of the Oilers losing McDavid, and to an extent Draisaitl and Ekholm. (Bouchard too I guess analytically, but it seemed like even Oilers fans were fed up with him points or no points before Ekholm got his game back. He’s important shelter)

For the most part the rest of the roster just has to not totally suck when those guys are ‘on’

It’s just when the Oilers look good they look great but that always features a ton from a few guys taking momentum. When they look bad they often look awful

Last edited:
Reactions: Ol' Jase

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's a gimmick award, let's be honest.

The best coach never wins it. It's for the most 'surprising' coaching job / biggest improvement

A coach from a very good team that has a season that was expected of them / slightly better than expected ( even if they are the best team in the league ) is never winning that award.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, no. No team plays most of their games in division. 56 are played against non divisional teams. Trying to argue that a team who has played 73 of 82 games and has won 45 of them only happened because they played bad teams is ludicrous.

Or just straight up incredibly lazy trolling. Either way it has no place here.
1712243484466.png

Reactions: Crow

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
After a coach wins the the Jack Adams, in the last 25 years...how long before they get fired?

I recall at one point, there was 3 Jack Adams coaches who won the award within the previous 5 years on the sidelines looking for a job.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
After a coach wins the the Jack Adams, in the last 25 years...how long before they get fired?

I recall at one point, there was 3 Jack Adams coaches who won the award within the previous 5 years on the sidelines looking for a job.
Because its usually based on luck.

Coaches win it when a team has an improbable turnaround. The team rides crazy shooting %, or save % and has an outlier year.

Then the next season they go back to normal and drop 30 points in the standings.

snag

Feb 22, 2014

The problem with over simplified stats like this is they ignore fluidity....

If you were to take this example for the Canucks....where would you rank their 3 victories against the Oilers on say....November 10th. You know, when the Oilers were tied for dead last in the league...and they had lost to the Canucks 3 times.

Are the "same" team? Hard to argue they are.

I look at that then and think.....ok.....considering the 2-9-1 start....they managed that. I guess they can hold their own. Canucks are a top 5....they beat the Oilers 3 times in that span and the Rangers 1 and Dallas 1. That is 5 of the 6 losses to top 5 teams in the first 12 games of the season. And then what... Thursdays loss to Dallas makes 6? All but 1 Top 5 loss accounted for in the first 12 games....

And that was also before they complete destroyed the Avs....so chalk up 1 more in the Top 5 with some more recency ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad