If the Oilers win the Pacific, does Knoblach get consideration for the Jack Adams?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For me I look at where I thought teams were going to be to start the year and the biggest surprise is Vancouver so I go with Tocchet on this.

Why wouldn't you want to win all of the other awards? Lmao. Unless you wear a giant tin foil hat, you aren't disqualified from winning things because you won some else too.
I honestly don't care about too many awards nowadays. The voting on some of them is unfair IMO and there are a lot of morons that vote on awards.

Reactions: Szechwan

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For me I look at where I thought teams were going to be to start the year and the biggest surprise is Vancouver so I go with Tocchet on this.

I honestly don't care about too many awards nowadays. The voting on some of them is unfair IMO and there are a lot of morons that vote on awards.
Wisdom of the crowd.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
For me I look at where I thought teams were going to be to start the year
This.

That’s why it’s laughable to bring up winning % in a discussion when the current coach is at the same level as the old coach.

Torts, Brunette and Tocchet have all over achieved this season. Knob has done well and will get some consideration but he’s basically treading water with how the team was the prior year. Unfortunately for Knob he has McDavid, I assume many voters will gravitate to the coaches that have done well with less talent.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
He shouldn't. The Oilers turnaround is mostly due to beating bad teams.

If they kept Woodcroft, they likely would have turned it around regardless, with goaltending deviating back to the norm as well.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
He shouldn't. The Oilers turnaround is mostly due to beating bad teams.
We’re still beating this “bad team” drum?

We’re talking about the season as a whole. How is the Oiler schedule any different than anyone else’s?

Reactions: zar

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Jeff Skinner ?

Now I want to know.
I actually didn’t catch the answer but by looking at the NHL record book the answer seems to be Brent Burns with 877 points.

Interestingly enough both Jeff Skinner and John Carlson* share the same last name as a Simpsons character, both have scored exactly 669 points, with Skinner doing so in 1,000 GP and Carlson in 1,001 GP

*Carl Carlson, of Lenny & Carl

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Gotta think it's Brunette's to lose if the Preds make it in.

Montgomery should get some consideration imo.
Team loses a bunch of key guys, everyone writes off the B's to start the season. They're near the top of the league....

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
We’re still beating this “bad team” drum?

We’re talking about the season as a whole. How is the Oiler schedule any different than anyone else’s?
Looking at each position in the division and the number of points gained, this is how the Pacific ranks against other divisions.
1st in division - 4th out of 4
2nd in division - 4th
3rd - 3rd
4th - 3rd
5th - 4th
6th - 4th
7th - 4th
8th - 4th

Then taking into consideration you play most of your games in division, it’s a good shout that the pacific is the weakest division overall.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The bottom 4 Pacific teams are not strong, but the four teams in the playoffs are pretty solid.

It certainly isn’t the strongest division in the league though.
The playoff teams in the Pacific are Edmonton, LA, Vegas and Vancouver. LA is sliding hard right now, but the other three are all very good teams and any of the three could come out of the west.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
The Oilers are about as good as we expected them to be.

There was just an early season lull when McDavid and Ekholm were injured. Maybe he's a good coach but he hasn't exceeded my expectations.

More deserving candidates:

Tocchet
Tortorella
Brunette
Bowness
You day the oilers are who you expect them to be yet tip your hat to bowness for the Jets finally playing up to there caliber? 🤔

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I was wondering how many comments I'd read before the inevitable 'but Connor McDavid is on the team' argument.lmao

Knob is good because of him
Bouch is good because of him
Drai is good because of him
Hyman is good because of him
RNH is good because of him

Then you go to the Hart thread and he's a bum and not worthy. And I legit read that going 41-14-4 was expected and not noteworthy?lol These are the same posters that remind us we suck at every turn.

Nonetheless, I was against the hire and bitched a LOT about it. He's been tremendous and absolutely deserves consideration. The fact Tortorella may get the Flyers into the playoffs though... that is my vote.
Tortorella
Rick Tocchet
Knoblauch

Is how I would rank the coaches this year, for Jack Adams consideration.

The oilers haven't had any injuries either. He really hasn't had to make any roster adjustments or find patchwork solutions to overcome missing players.
McDavid was out for a bit. Some suggest he's been playing injured since his return at the outdoor classic, and there is evidence to support that in his game play a bit. His reluctance to shoot. His stickhandling isn't as crisp in previous years. I wouldn't be shocked if we learn this summer that McDavid had a hand/wrist/shoulder injury all year. They do have a tremendous "man games lost" number though, you are correct there.

Reactions: Czechboy

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Its fine if you don't care about winning those things because you don't care about winning those things. But that's different than saying - you aren't gonna win this so you only care about that. That's where whatever point was being made gets lost in the woods.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
This.

That’s why it’s laughable to bring up winning % in a discussion when the current coach is at the same level as the old coach.

Torts, Brunette and Tocchet have all over achieved this season. Knob has done well and will get some consideration but he’s basically treading water with how the team was the prior year. Unfortunately for Knob he has McDavid, I assume many voters will gravitate to the coaches that have done well with less talent.

Where did you think the Oilers were gonna be after game 12? ;)

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Looking at each position in the division and the number of points gained, this is how the Pacific ranks against other divisions.
2nd in division - 4th
3rd - 3rd
4th - 3rd
5th - 4th
6th - 4th
7th - 4th
8th - 4th

Then taking into consideration you play most of your games in division, it’s a good shout that the pacific is the weakest division overall.
Considering that the third place in the Metropolitan Division wouldn't be playoff team in the West, it's safer to say that is the worst division in hockey right now.

Teams also only play 26 divisional games per season. How can that be considered "most of your games"?

Schedule breakdown:

26 divisional games
24 non-divisional same conference games
32 inter- conference games

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Still in the Pacific
Ba Dum Bum GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
The bottom 4 Pacific teams are not strong, but the four teams in the playoffs are pretty solid.

It certainly isn’t the strongest division in the league though.
The top four is as strong as any top four. Especially with the panthers and jets mired in long slumps.
I still think Vancouver wins since Demko should be back soon but I don't think it's the coach regardless. I have heard constantly oiler fans saying he's pretty flawed. #97 went God mode and schedule likely a bigger reason for the turnaround as well as goaltending.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
2nd in division - 4th
3rd - 3rd
4th - 3rd
5th - 4th
6th - 4th
7th - 4th
8th - 4th

Yeah, no. No team plays most of their games in division. 56 are played against non divisional teams. Trying to argue that a team who has played 73 of 82 games and has won 45 of them only happened because they played bad teams is ludicrous.

Or just straight up incredibly lazy trolling. Either way it has no place here.

Jun 25, 2021
Isn't this all exactly the same thing that happened under Woodcraft? After the Oilers hang another "Lost to the Eventual Champion Banner" or two McDavid and Draisatl will turn on this guy too and the whole process will repeat.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah, no. No team plays most of their games in division. 56 are played against non divisional teams. Trying to argue that a team who has played 73 of 82 games and has won 45 of them only happened because they played bad teams is ludicrous.

Or just straight up incredibly lazy trolling. Either way it has no place here.
They've played at a 112 point pace within their division over 22 games. In 19 games they've played at a 108 point pace against the Central. In 16 games they've played at a 113 point pace against the Metro.

The only division they've "struggled" against is the Atlantic where they've played at a 92 point pace over 16 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad