If the Oilers win the Pacific, does Knoblach get consideration for the Jack Adams?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The Oilers are 41-14-4 since Knoblach took over and, miraculously, has a legit shot at the Pacific Division title.

Is Knoblach in the Coach of the Year conversation, or does the fact he didn’t coach the whole year essentially keep him out of the running?

He’ll finish with 69 games coached this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: olli

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I’ll be honest, I thought he was a quasi-nepo hire because he was McDavids junior coach and it was would fail miserably.

It seems he’s done a real good job there. Will be interesting to see how they fare in the playoffs. Pacific is weak this year.
The bottom 4 Pacific teams are not strong, but the four teams in the playoffs are pretty solid.

It certainly isn’t the strongest division in the league though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Oilers are about as good as we expected them to be.

There was just an early season lull when McDavid and Ekholm were injured. Maybe he's a good coach but he hasn't exceeded my expectations.

More deserving candidates:

Tocchet
Tortorella
Brunette
Bowness

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
The Oilers are about as good as we expected them to be.

There was just an early season lull when McDavid and Ekholm were injured. Maybe he's a good coach but he hasn't exceeded my expectations.

More deserving candidates:

Tocchet
Tortorella
Brunette
Bowness
as an oiler fan, i can agree with these guys as well

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The Canucks are still in the driver's seat for now, so let's wait and see. If the Oilers do finish 1st (which, btw, they haven't since 1987), it would certainly garner some votes for Knobby, but I think there's a lot of competition from other coaches this season. Also, as good as Knoblach's record is (so far), it isn't that much better than Woodcroft's was. The club just got off to a terrible start this year.

Knoblach also suffers from being the 4th-coach in a row for the Oilers to have a phallic name, which, evidently, is now a requirement for the job:
-- Hitchcock
-- Tippett
-- Woodcroft
-- Knoblach

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Highly doubtful, he really hasn’t done anything noteworthy for a Jack Adams. He will get votes but he won’t win it

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Canucks are still in the driver's seat for now, so let's wait and see. If the Oilers do finish 1st (which, btw, they haven't since 1987), it would certainly garner some votes for Knobby, but I think there's a lot of competition from other coaches this season. Also, as good as Knoblach's record is (so far), it isn't that much better than Woodcroft's was. The club just got off to a terrible start this year.

Knoblach also suffers from being the 4th-coach in a row for the Oilers to have a phallic name, which, evidently, is now a requirement for the job:
-- Hitchcock
-- Tippett
-- Woodcroft
-- Knoblach

Reaching with Tippet, though.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The oilers haven't had any injuries either. He really hasn't had to make any roster adjustments or find patchwork solutions to overcome missing players.
I just go based on that he hasn’t really improved the team based on where they finished last year. It’s been status quo

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I just go based on that he hasn’t really improved the team based on where they finished last year. It’s been status quo
Good point.

The Oilers are 41-14-4 since Knoblach took over and, miraculously, has a legit shot at the Pacific Division title.

Is Knoblach in the Coach of the Year conversation, or does the fact he didn’t coach the whole year essentially keep him out of the running?

He’ll finish with 69 games coached this year.
Commendable job. Took over after a brutal slump.
Top 3 candidates
Tochett
Torts
Montgomery

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Consideration sure but the oilers were expected to be a great team before the season, and there were bigger surprises/improved teams, so he’s not the favorite

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Start poorly, finish hot seems to be a pattern with them lol. If there’s somewhere I can bet that specifically, I’d bet literal money the Oilers will have their fans fuming through the early months next season, then we’ll get the third straight year of “should (Oilers coach) get the Jack Adams?”

There’s certainly a little bit more to it than that.
Wait for Draisaitl to heat up later in the season?

• Haha
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I was wondering how many comments I'd read before the inevitable 'but Connor McDavid is on the team' argument.lmao

Knob is good because of him
Bouch is good because of him
Drai is good because of him
Hyman is good because of him
RNH is good because of him

Then you go to the Hart thread and he's a bum and not worthy. And I legit read that going 41-14-4 was expected and not noteworthy?lol These are the same posters that remind us we suck at every turn.

Nonetheless, I was against the hire and bitched a LOT about it. He's been tremendous and absolutely deserves consideration. The fact Tortorella may get the Flyers into the playoffs though... that is my vote.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

-- Hitchcock
-- Tippett
-- Woodcroft
-- Knoblach
The next coach will be Johnson.

Nah.

1712152006332.png

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
When he took over there were few threads on how the Oilers are gonna miss the playoffs. Now, winning the Pacific (the thread says if they win) is what everyone expected. Hmmmm...

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad