Post-Game Talk: If The Oilers Score 3 Late Goals And No One Sees It Did They Score?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Even tho people still remember the fight, the fact Nurse played good on the ice is overlooked. ON had a good stat. Nurse had a 63% corsi with 50% Defensive zone starts and most against the top line. He completely neutralized Bennett along the boards and made Monahan invisible. When JG was on the ice against him he looked timid at times and didnt really get the best of Nurse. Looked really good against the other D tho

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
I don't like it when people say preseason / rookie camp don't matter. Sure, it might not matter for THE TEAM but it sure matters to the players. A lot of these guys on both teams are fighting for their hockey lives. Great games, good energy.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
McDavid's defensive play was a pleasant surprise for me. He showed a lot of maturity away from the puck last night which was awesome to see. Can't wait till he starts carrying the puck more.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He was being twisted that way by a guy who is 3-4 inches taller then him. There are maybe 2 or 3 players in the league that tall.

Smith is 6'7" while Nurse has been said to be anywhere from 6'4"-6'5". So there's probably 2-3" in difference. The biggest difference is that Smith has a lot bigger frame than Nurse does. Chara, Myers, Boyle and Scott are all Smith's height or taller, but as you say there aren't many 6'7" or taller guys in the NHL.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I disagree - he won't be any more defensively suspect than Nikitin, and will bring a whole lot more in other areas.
True but Reinhart looks more ready and I don't know if a Reinhart - Nurse pairing would work yet.

I mean I would love to see it but that's way to much youth and inexperience on the d

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I REALLY like the potential of a Hall-Drai-McD line. A lot.

One player that I haven't been able to wrap my head around yet though is Yak. I love the kid, his passion and flashes of talent are amazing. To me though, he's like watching a connect-the-dots picture, where his glimpses of talent are the dots and I'm supposed to somehow connect them in my mind to draw a picture of what he's capable of.

I have no doubt that smarter minds than mine will find the role for him to shine in, but for me to watch him play now it feels very disjointed and hummingbird-like.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I don't like it when people say preseason / rookie camp don't matter. Sure, it might not matter for THE TEAM but it sure matters to the players. A lot of these guys on both teams are fighting for their hockey lives. Great games, good energy.

I had this exact thought last night before the games.

Somebody said something to the manner of the games being meaningless and all I could think of was what was likely going through the minds of the young players as they did everything possible to manifest their lifelong goals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I disagree - he won't be any more defensively suspect than Nikitin, and will bring a whole lot more in other areas.

Nurse-Reinhart pairing should be an upgrade over Ference-Gryba-Nikitin trio as early as 10 games into NHL if not by the end of preseason. Issue is that you just can get rid of the trio on big NHL contracts.

Wise thing would be to let Nurse-Reinhart pairing get used to each other playing big minutes in AHL and we ride the season with Ference-Gryba pairing in NHL spotting Nikitin in here and there.

if\when there are injuries you call up the kids.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Aside from one costly moment where he was stripped of the puck, Sekera seemed to be exactly as advertised. Nothing exceptionally flashy, smooth and fluid play, the maturity to hold up at the offensive blue line and pass the puck in to a skilled forward.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Aside from one costly moment where he was stripped of the puck, Sekera seemed to be exactly as advertised. Nothing exceptionally flashy, smooth and fluid play, the maturity to hold up at the offensive blue line and pass the puck in to a skilled forward.

I expected Sekera to be bigger. He looked much smaller than Fayne and Fayne doesnt look that big himself.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Its just great havign a tough SOB that teams fear but who can also play the game. Who needs a 4th line plug to protect McDavid when you got a D that can play 20 mins a night. So if you touch McDavid youll have to face Nurse plenty in that game and can get run or beat up

Nurse is also pretty intense and crazy too. But when he settles down hes still a top D prospect with #1 upside

exactly you can literally have nurse on teh ice with mcdavid all the time and it helps the team it doesnt make us shorthanded

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
True but Reinhart looks more ready and I don't know if a Reinhart - Nurse pairing would work yet.

I mean I would love to see it but that's way to much youth and inexperience on the d

Reinhart looks 'lower event' if that makes sense; I'm not sold that a safe bottom pairing option is what this team needs right now.

Read my camp battles piece :P My feelings are pretty well covered there.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Top D will make mistakes, even ones that end up in the bad of their own net.

Sekera screwed that play up for sure. In much the same way, Giordano made a bad pinch which led to the 2 on 1 where Pouliot scored the GWG in Calgary.

I hope people realize this.

Even Pronger made the odd mistake.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse-Reinhart pairing should be an upgrade over Ference-Gryba-Nikitin trio as early as 10 games into NHL if not by the end of preseason. Issue is that you just can get rid of the trio on big NHL contracts.

Wise thing would be to let Nurse-Reinhart pairing get used to each other playing big minutes in AHL and we ride the season with Ference-Gryba pairing in NHL spotting Nikitin in here and there.

if\when there are injuries you call up the kids.

The one thing Nikitin has is the best point shot on the team - it's the one thing that might keep him off of waivers.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Was a little better offensively than I expected, a little crazier defensively, though this is preseason and players need to get chemistry and the system in place.

All in all, reports of a better version of Jeff Petry aren't far off. Very happy with the Sekera signing. :handclap:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

If this is any indication Todd said we would have a clear idea of who's gonna be on the team.

skates already? give the kids a break Todd .. 3 days of camp and then a game ..
McDavid needs his naps ..

PS> No Purcell in group 1 ... me likes .. No Lander .. me dont like..

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I bet the coaching staff trusts him to understand and execute his defensive assignments more than Reinhart or Nurse though.

Look, I don't like Nikitin. I just don't see anyway he's not on this team come opening night. His contract basically ensures he makes the team.

Are you serious?

He hasn't even bothered to learn English and I rarely see him execute (in a good way) anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad