Post-Game Talk: If The Oilers Score 3 Late Goals And No One Sees It Did They Score?

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
From everything I heard Yak played really well last night and has been good in camp as well??

He was very good on the forecheck and looked dangerous all night.

As good as McDavid's pass to Draisaitl and Draisaitl's finish were, Yak sealing off the boards and forcing the turnover was the most impressive play on that second goal.

McDeathbyCheerios*

If this were the case he would not still be in camp, nor would he be practicing with the NHL regulars.
Players with salaries and are not just able to send down to the ahl without waivers always get a longer look. It's how it always has been.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is there a reason why there is a ton of crap on before the Calgary game in Calgary comes on the Oilers site?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Is there a reason why there is a ton of crap on before the Calgary game in Calgary comes on the Oilers site?

Somebody started the Calgary stream around 5 or 6pm and so you have to get through that I guess. Should be able to look around the stream to see when the game starts.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Responses in BOLD

In any event, thanks for the game report but stay away from the brews next time, they clearly impaired your vision. ;)
Just kidding, you could be right and seeing in person is a much different experience than seeing on a choppy stream. Just a difference of opinion.

Yeah, I wasn't very clear on Slepy/Yak2. Yak2 was miles ahead when it came to his ability to play a NA style game. Skill wise, Slepy is ahead. Overall game that fits in a NA mold? Yak2.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Nikitin looked exhausted and useless last night. This team is in big trouble if he starts with them this year.

I don't care if Gretzky and Lemieux come back to play forward for the Oilers, the defense has to be way better or the team goes nowhere.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Nikitin looked exhausted and useless last night. This team is in big trouble if he starts with them this year.

I don't care if Gretzky and Lemieux come back to play forward for the Oilers, the defense has to be way better or the team goes nowhere.

He was a damn pylon. He shouldn't be on the team at all.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
It is surprising how often Nikitin can put a heavy slapper on net but never score. It pretty much just throws away our puck possession on the PP. He's a #7 that we are paying like a #3. Might as well have kept Belov.

That said, I think he had a few good shifts yesterday and wasn't as bad as most of you think.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It is surprising how often Nikitin can put a heavy slapper on net but never score. It pretty much just throws away our puck possession on the PP. He's a #7 that we are paying like a #3. Might as well have kept Belov.

That said, I think he had a few good shifts yesterday and wasn't as bad as most of you think.

Belov was much more suited to physical play of the WC. Once got into a scrum with 3 opponents trying to take his number and the rest of the oilers standing around waiting for a bus. Eakins inexplicable response was to bench Belov the rest of the game.

Would love to have seen Belov with proper coaching and I don't think there was a D on this team that so obviously indicated his displeasure with the coaching here. There was a few interesting translations posted about Belov not comprehending what was being advised here.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Belov was much more suited to physical play of the WC. Once got into a scrum with 3 opponents trying to take his number and the rest of the oilers standing around waiting for a bus. Eakins inexplicable response was to bench Belov the rest of the game.

Would love to have seen Belov with proper coaching and I don't think there was a D on this team that so obviously indicated his displeasure with the coaching here. There was a few interesting translations posted about Belov not comprehending what was being advised here.

Me too. I still think there's an NHL player there - he just needs to play with a competent coach that actually eases him into the NA game, not Dallas "don't worry about positioning or conditioning, we have white boards" Eakins.

The Russian national team has been fairly weak on D, but it still says something when Belov consistently has made it over the past few years. Plus he had all the attributes we want/need in a dman - big shot and physical/mean play. Ah well, what's done is done. Doubt he comes back to the NHL at all.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Me too. I still think there's an NHL player there - he just needs to play with a competent coach that actually eases him into the NA game, not Dallas "don't worry about positioning or conditioning, we have white boards" Eakins.

The Russian national team has been fairly weak on D, but it still says something when Belov consistently has made it over the past few years. Plus he had all the attributes we want/need in a dman - big shot and physical/mean play. Ah well, what's done is done. Doubt he comes back to the NHL at all.

Yep. People can check back as well. At the time I thought it was a mistake relasing Belov and then we get duds like Nikitin who I was cold on from the start. Never wanted Ference on this club either. I'm consistent on these views. Some moves from this org just stink from the outset.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yep. People can check back as well. At the time I thought it was a mistake relasing Belov and then we get duds like Nikitin who I was cold on from the start. Never wanted Ference on this club either. I'm consistent on these views. Some moves from this org just stink from the outset.
We weren't keeping Belov with Eakins here. Belov hated him...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

so what? why does it matter what you thought? I thought Oilers will regret signing Pouliot based on his past. Does it matter? I also thought we really screwed up letting Smid go and expected him to be a top pairing potential. Not sure what many here try to accomplish by this I know more than management stance.

in 3 yrs Sekera signing could out stink Ference signing... or if things really go south Klefbom singing could become worse than Nikitin.. Releasing Belov did not cripple this organization neither did signing Nikitin. If sports were this predictable no one would follow it.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
so what? why does it matter what you thought? I thought Oilers will regret signing Pouliot based on his past. Does it matter? I also thought we really screwed up letting Smid go and expected him to be a top pairing potential. Not sure what many here try to accomplish by this I know more than management stance.

in 3 yrs Sekera signing could out stink Ference signing... or if things really go south Klefbom singing could become worse than Nikitin.. Releasing Belov did not cripple this organization neither did signing Nikitin. If sports were this predictable no one would follow it.

So... Why are you posting here? The point of this board is to discuss things. I'd say that includes past players that I feel might have been decent NHLers in other conditions.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010

I havent liked Nikitin and thought it was a bad signing and ridiculous that we traded anything to get his rights but I dont get the Belov love. Every time I saw him in the defensive zone he looked lost, hopelessly flailing out of position and unable to challenge anyone for the puck. I was happy to see him go.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I think Belov was/is an NHLer for sure but he *basically* came into the worst possible situation for him to be able to evolve develop into a steady, legitimate NHL defenseman. Garbage D corps, no veteran support, horrible environment and culture to work in (in terms of media, fans and player attitude), maybe one other countryman to help him adapt. English second or maybe even third language. Haven't even mentioned Eakins... Anyways that ship has sailed but I think he could still be an NHLer.

Nikitin has a decent shot but he is simply an okay skater with a give-a-**** level of about 2 on a scale from 1-10, who is pretty ****ing dumb to boot, at least in terms of hockey sense. Hopefully he can improve through TC and show he's at least good for a bottom pairing roll.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So... Why are you posting here? The point of this board is to discuss things. I'd say that includes past players that I feel might have been decent NHLers in other conditions.

I am posting about relevant stuff... ie this season... I am sure no one cares how I was right when I claimed Yakupov wouldnt be the best player his draft year..
Ference signing at that time looked very good.. Our defense sucked and he won SC championship... We all preferred Boychuk over Ference but the difference wasnt really that great at that time. johhny being local was the bigger factor.

Nikitin-Tyutin pairing looked better than any Oiler pairing at that time. Contract looked bad then and very ugly now but thats the price to pay for UFAs these days.
I am also sure Sekera wont be worth his pay cheque in 3 yrs but thats the price to pay.

Koto

May 3, 2011
I am posting about relevant stuff... ie this season... I am sure no one cares how I was right when I claimed Yakupov wouldnt be the best player his draft year..
Ference signing at that time looked very good.. Our defense sucked and he won SC championship... We all preferred Boychuk over Ference but the difference wasnt really that great at that time. johhny being local was the bigger factor.

Nikitin-Tyutin pairing looked better than any Oiler pairing at that time. Contract looked bad then and very ugly now but thats the price to pay for UFAs these days.
I am also sure Sekera wont be worth his pay cheque in 3 yrs but thats the price to pay.

um....just wait till they trade him. you'll be wrong

McDeathbyCheerios*

um....just wait till they trade him. you'll be wrong
Hertl, Forsburg, Rielly, Girgensons, Vasilevsky I would all take over Yak now and I think they will all be better players even if Yak is traded away

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The point isn't that I, or anybody, was right its that this org makes acquisitions that MANY figure are questionable the moment they are made. In the context of an org that is easily questioned and has been known to make poor decisions. Inevitably when talk ranges to how pathetic Nikitin, Ference, etc continue to look on the back end theres going to be some longing for anything else and what we've even had in the past. This team makes endless lateral or worse moves and its impacts every game every year that this team plays. So its somewhat relevant. ;)

If the game wasn't really bad there'd be more talk about that. But theres not a whole lot to talk about given the putrid go through the motions effort displayed.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The point isn't that I, or anybody, was right its that this org makes acquisitions that MANY figure are questionable the moment they are made. In the context of an org that is easily questioned and has been known to make poor decisions. Inevitably when talk ranges to how pathetic Nikitin, Ference, etc continue to look on the back end theres going to be some longing for anything else and what we've even had in the past. This team makes endless lateral or worse moves and its impacts every game every year that this team plays. So its somewhat relevant. ;)

If the game wasn't really bad there'd be more talk about that. But theres not a whole lot to talk about given the putrid go through the motions effort displayed.

Fair enough... So the organization hasnt been able to add a top flight Dman but what have they really given up for the ones they did acquire? Most if not all cost them picks or were acquired via free agency.
Maybe trading Eberle, Yak, Draisaitl, 2015 1st or Hall at this time last season couldve landed us a better player... Nurse plus PIT 1st for Hamilton this past draft wouldve also shored up our D..but most in EDM are still happy with who we have on the roster..

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
If Belov was an NHL defenseman, he'd be in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad